TrueNas on Asrock Rack X470D4U2-2T - Heatsink for Intel 550 10G - How hot is too hot?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bmorepanic

Oct 24, 2020
Baltimore, Hon
I should do something about this? If so what.

This is in a modified Fractal S6 USB - not anything interesting, just removed the top and front, the radiator support (cause it's not using one) and the vertical decorative plate near the hard drives. It has AMD 3700X, 6 traditional hard drives(4 sas, 2 sata), both nvme drives (smoll ones) and a sata ssd. One lsi based 8i hba controller. Three 140mm case fans and a noctua 12 series cooler.

After assembling, I ran it for a few days here - temps were ok at all of the other thermometers (< 40C and some <30C) but like at 55C for the 10G networking. Was concerned cause I could only test at 1G. Took it to it's real site, introduced it to its new friends and plugged it up to a decent 10G switch and without doing much at all, networking temp went to 65C, everything else is good and maybe 2C different than it was.

Attachments

nasi

Feb 25, 2020
I have an Epyc3251 with the same Intel X550-AT2 Network Chip. Mine is running quite hot too which also concerned me. But when looking into the full specification of this chip (Intel® Ethernet Controller X550-AT2 Product Specifications - Datasheet -> View Now) you can find on Site 1176 "Table 14-2. The X550 Absolute Thermal Maximum Rating (°C)" where it says that Tj max is 105°C and Tcase max is 103°C. I guess they mean the case of the chip itself. So it seems to be ok when it's running on 65°C or even more.

Can someone confirm that I understood that correctly?

Reactions: bmorepanic