Truenas Home Share with AD users

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kaastrup

Nov 8, 2021
Hi there

I have been seaching for a guide on setting up the "Use as Home Share" function in Truenas (12U6) with active directory users.

I have an working AD with two domain controllers, dns, dhcp etc...

I can get it to work with truenas local users, but I was hoping it could work for existing AD users too, so that AD users would get thier own home folder through truenas when they log in on windows 10 pc´s...

The purpose is to get rid of my W2K19 file server.

I have created the dataset for the home share, and set the permission to User:root and Group:[AD]\Domain Admins, and ACL preset to HOME. I have set the share option to "Purpose: No presets" and "Use as Home share".

Anyone ?????

kaastrup

Nov 8, 2021
I have followed that exactly in the link - But I dont understand the last bit - "Add Users".....

As I read it, I have to create the same user accounts locally as I have AD users, and that sounds a bit weird.....Eg. If I have a AD user called "luka", then I have to create a local user called "luka" ?????

What am I missing ???

azev

Jan 18, 2013
@kaastrup Here's how I setup my truenas for AD users share folders;
1. Add the truenas server as AD member servers.
2. On your SMB share ACL, assign full permission for everyone
3. On your SMB file system ACL add a new ACL to give your domain administrator full access.

once the above steps are done, you can use your domain admin account to create the folder structure and assign permission as you normally would on a windows file servers.

Reactions: Marjan

Marjan

Nov 6, 2016
@kaastrup Here's how I setup my truenas for AD users share folders;
1. Add the truenas server as AD member servers.
2. On your SMB share ACL, assign full permission for everyone
3. On your SMB file system ACL add a new ACL to give your domain administrator full access.

once the above steps are done, you can use your domain admin account to create the folder structure and assign permission as you normally would on a windows file servers.
This correct answer. I use this in same way and it works just fine, no issues at all.

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
on a windows machine in the same domain, connect to the freenas box like so...
frns1.JPG

then browse to the shares and configure them as needed. NOTE: you can NOT put a group as the primary USER and you MUST have a primary user in the share.
frns2.JPG

azev

Jan 18, 2013
that is neat, I didn't know you can actually connect to the truenas box via "computer management"

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
that is neat, I didn't know you can actually connect to the truenas box via "computer management"
is there some way to manage the shares with out connecting to the freenas box like that? i mean, you do have to create the share on freenas and assign it to be accessible via an admin, but unless your network handles security some other way, you have to do this at some point, no?

Marjan

Nov 6, 2016
is there some way to manage the shares with out connecting to the freenas box like that? i mean, you do have to create the share on freenas and assign it to be accessible via an admin, but unless your network handles security some other way, you have to do this at some point, no?
You can't do it from Windows. But it's not something you do all the time, you create shares you need and you don't touch them, it's not something you create, remove, recreate all the time.
If you really want shares on Windows, create iSCSI on Truenas, mount it in Windows, then create shares.

Zedicus

Jul 12, 2018
You can't do it from Windows. But it's not something you do all the time, you create shares you need and you don't touch them, it's not something you create, remove, recreate all the time.
If you really want shares on Windows, create iSCSI on Truenas, mount it in Windows, then create shares.
You CAN do it from windows and you should not be messing with shares very often no matter if you manage it from Windows, Linux, or a TI-80Plus. Samba4 has had full support for SMB/CIFS for YEARS now, i run a SAMBA4 Active Directory server that i manage from windows. Stop making this harder than it has to be.

frns3.JPG

Reactions: libredata

azev

Jan 18, 2013
The way I did it on my setup is to create the SMB share as shown in my previous post, then connect to it using the domain admin account which have full file system access via "run" and type " \\truenas\smbshare ". After connecting you can build the folder structure using windows file explorer and then just modify the ntfs permission as you would a windows file server.. I tested permission wise and it works like it should.

Reactions: Zedicus