Troubleshooting Supermicro x7dca-l

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jkirker

Jan 17, 2016
I have 12 Supermicro X7DCA-L 1-U webservers which I acquired together.

Two of the machines are misbehaving as of last week after running smoothly for a literally years.

When an active network cable is plugged into the primary netowrk port the system ends up in a reboot cycle. However, everything runs fine when just using the secondary port.

From what I can tell, these two machines started behaving this way at the same time. They were located in different parts of the rack and there were no heat or other warnings or messages that I am aware of.

I don't know if I should consider the boards dead or if there's something I can do or try rather than tossing and replacing.

Any thoughts, suggestions, questions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated? I've never seen anything like it and I'm stumped...

jkirker

Jan 17, 2016
Hi Diavuno,

Thanks for the reply.

Currently they won't even post or get to the BIOS with the primary NIC plugged in. And yet runs fine if unplugged or just the secondary NIC is plugged in.

I've also changed the CMOS batteries just in case.