Trouble with ES Xeon

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azaroth666

Nov 3, 2016
so after getting linux mint on a live boot cd, getting it up and running, it seems to be all in order, just the damn thing wont get past Q-Code 19 on reboot! but it works, see all cores, totall ram, everythings seems fine.
(i cant uplaod the picture of the system info)

William

May 7, 2015
Q-Code 19 is a memory issue.
I suspect its something with your RAM not being on the QVL list and they haven't added the necessary codes into the BIOS.

Just on the off chance, do you have any PCIe cards plugged in besides a GPU ?

azaroth666

Nov 3, 2016
I only have one GPU in. Ive ordered RAM that was picked by people on this board who know what they are talking about. I'm just eager to get it working

azaroth666

Nov 3, 2016
Got the RAM in the mail that was recommended, tried it out, removed the battery and reset the BIOS, held the Memok button, booted in the BIOS no problem and upon reset, 19. Q-code 25, 41, and then 19. Still it just taunts me.

azaroth666

Nov 3, 2016
rolled back the bios to the one that came with the boar, nothing. tried all the ram slots, nothing.

azaroth666

Nov 3, 2016
The board was brand new, let's say it's the CPU, which ES Xeon is known to work on that board. Or could it be because I need to up date the chipset drivers and I can't because I can't boot into Windows.

azaroth666

Nov 3, 2016
It will won't reboot. I get into Linux mint, everything works and runs, can't shut down and wont reboot. does anyone else have the asus x99 a-ii and is using an ES xeon? if so what one?

Last edited:

azaroth666

Nov 3, 2016
can i use a usb dock to install wondows 10 onto the ssd from antoher computer? if so is it as easy as connecting the drive, insterting the disc and telling it where to install? its a blank SSD

azaroth666

Nov 3, 2016
Have you contacted ASUS ?
I have not contacted Asus yet
QHVK is not a QS. It's an early engineering sample. See his S-SPEC code and the actual CPU-Z screenshot. QK3G is a pre-QS/QS engineering sample and not the QHVK. Both ASUS and GIGABYTE X99 motherboards are particularly picky about V4 ES Xeons. QHVK is an L0 stepping while QK3G is an R0 (identical to production).
Does that mean there's a good chance its the CPU? What ES Xeon would work in that board? I don't mind ordering another one.

Last edited:

azaroth666

Nov 3, 2016
Taken from this eBay link:

Intel Xeon E5-2630 v4 ES CPU 2.2GHz 10-Core 85W Max 3.1GHz QK3G Supports X99 MB | eBay

So even though it is an R0 stepping for your ASUS X99 motherboard it needs to be a QS or production processor to work properly. The QK3G is an ES2 (I would call it a pre-QS due to stepping ) with identical stepping as production.
What markings do I need to look for in order to make sure that it I'll work with the board? Does it need to be a V3? Will a v4 work with a different board?

azaroth666

Nov 3, 2016
So I have a working CPU with an incompatible board. I'm trying to weigh the option of new board that works with this CPU, or a CPU that works with this board. Will just about any v3 ES work with it or just the ones on the Asus list? Also all my components are past the point of return.