trouble with brand new X10SLM-LN4F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zoob

Sep 8, 2013
hi all,

I finally made the jump into building some decent home server and I am having some trouble with my x10slm-ln4f.
I would guess the issue is power supply related, but I am not really sure how to proceed to confirm this further.
This motherboard is paired with an e3-1220 v3 and 2*4Gb UB ECC. I also bought a Seasonic SS-400FL2 powersupply which is haswell certified. I am using a chenbro 2U chassis but I don't think this would cause an issue?

The motherboard is not powering up (no post/no power/no fan), however the BMC led is blinking green after a few seconds when the power supply is switched on, and the power led by the CPU is steady green. I can connect to the motherboard through IPMIView, but it fails to power on the motherboard (just as the power button on the chassis).
There's that undocumented LE6 led steady red as soon as the power is switched on, and according to what I found on supermicro's FAQ website, it's supposed to indicate a power failure (steady green would be the normal operation indication).
I connected this motherboard with the power supply connectors I have on my desktop pc and the symptoms are the same, albeit this power supply is an older model possibly not haswell certified.

This is my first supermicro product and I am not really up to date with the ins & outs of server grade motherboard troubleshooting.

Does this symptom seems familiar to anyone? is there some specific power supply certification I haven't been paying attention to? It seems Supermicro was saying this motherboard was compatible with standard ATX power supplies from what I recall reading on their website.

Thanks for any pointers :)
-rgds

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
I'd first try running the system with the motherboard removed from the chassis to ensure it is not a grounding issue. Have you done this already?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
BMC on - IPMI view working - no boot

Have seen this a few times. Two main causes are a) power supply and b) bent pin (power connector or CPU socket)

zoob

Sep 8, 2013
I'll try moving the motherboard outside the chassis, good idea.
And I guess I'll inspect the cpu pins if I can spot something. I looked at the power connectors earlier and they seemed fine. I have another power supply I can try tomorrow also.

thanks guys

zoob

Sep 8, 2013
I'd first try running the system with the motherboard removed from the chassis to ensure it is not a grounding issue. Have you done this already?
Good call on this one.
Somehow, after getting everything out, things started to work as expected, which made me think about some bad connection or something the first time. But as soon as everything was secured back inside, the same problem was there again.

It seems that everything is fine when the motherboard is standing on the anchor bits, still fine with the screws with half a turn in. But as soon as the screws are secured all the way down, the motherboard is not powering up anymore.
It's really weird, especially since the chassis (chenbro 2U RM24200) has some plastic sheet on the bottom, I guess to prevent contacts between stuff on the bottom side of the motherboard onto the chassis?

Either way, I am not sure how to fix that on my own, I guess I'll have to find some plastic screws which I am not even convinced will fix the problem? or pad the bottom of the chassis with some other foam or something?

Last edited:

survive

Apr 19, 2012
Hi zoob,

Are you sure there isn't a stand-off that a bit to short or something? Maybe the board is getting tourged a but to much when the screws are tightened down?

-Will

zoob

Sep 8, 2013
Hi zoob,

Are you sure there isn't a stand-off that a bit to short or something? Maybe the board is getting tourged a but to much when the screws are tightened down?

-Will
that seems to be the final word indeed. after guessing somehow some of the screws were causing some grounding issue, it turns out there was an orphan standoff that must have the been the cause of this. I am assuming that by screwing all the screws properly I was getting some bottom components in contact with that unused standoff.

after removing it, things seem as they should be for now.

thanks all :)