Trouble with booting Intel S2600CP4 with Samsung RAM from HK

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
So, I bought the motherboard off of eBay and it seems to work with some Dell branded memory that I picked up real cheap, 2x4 GB sticks. I picked them up to hold me over until the 8X 16 GB sticks arrived rom Hong Kong. The eBay seller has excellent reviews, so I took a chance I guess.

Said Samsung memory did arrive today, but the computer fails to recognize 2 new sticks of new memory in the same slots, or all of the memory in all of the blue slots. Of course I am concerned that all of the memory is bad, but that would be unusual. It seems more like compatibility issue, though I’m not sure why. The Dell memory is 1333 MHz Hynix while the Samsung memory is 1866 MHz, so faster. The motherboard and both the 2680 v2 Xeon processors should work with this memory.

What can I do to troubleshoot? This motherboard is a bit odd overall, and I’m not sure that I have it set correctly in the bios, which was just freshly updated to this months version, and optimized defaults set, with the old memory in place.

Last edited:

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
The specific error states “No usable memory found”. This is even with any one of the Samsung sticks...

If I boot with one Hynix and one Samsung stick the system only sees the Hynix stick, 4GB total.

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Can you take a photo or give the memory info so maybe people will see a problem right away like LR memory that may not be supported or something like that.

Example only as this is just some ddr4 code I had on hand to cut and paste.
Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA1-11-P20
M393A2G40EB1-CPB3Q

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
Can you take a photo or give the memory info so maybe people will see a problem right away like LR memory that may not be supported or something like that.

Example only as this is just some ddr4 code I had on hand to cut and paste.
Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA1-11-P20
M393A2G40EB1-CPB3Q
Yes, certainly!

Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R-13-12-E2-P3
M393B2G70DB0-CMA

Here is the auction link:
New Samsung 32GB 2X16GB PC3-14900R 2RX4 DDR3-1866MHZ REGISTERED ECC MEMORY Ram | eBay

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If you want to rule-out the MB / DIMM slots let me know. You can borrow 8GB sticks from me to run tests. I have the s2600cp2j board and I recently replaced E5-2670 v1 with 2660 V2s. Two of the slots were disabled and I could see the amber for those two slots. The slots worked fine before. So removed the CPU, cleaned the contacts under CPU and the issue was resolved.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
If you want to rule-out the MB / DIMM slots let me know. You can borrow 8GB sticks from me to run tests. I have the s2600cp2j board and I recently replaced E5-2670 v1 with 2660 V2s. Two of the slots were disabled and I could see the amber for those two slots. The slots worked fine before. So removed the CPU, cleaned the contacts under CPU and the issue was resolved.
Thank you for the kind offer. I do have a couple other DIMMs 2x4GB Hynix modules that work fine though with the V2 CPU’s. Intel’s specifications claim support for this faster memory with the V2 chips so I went ahead and got these. I do know that these specific DIMMs are not on Intel’s online server configurator, but figured these had the same specs as some of the DIMMs on their list. I can try to clean the CPUs anyway as you suggest.

I’ve swapped out the memory 5 or 6 times now and the Hynix boots but none of the Samsung are detected.

Last edited:

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
What a PITA. I tried downgrading BIOS one step but still no go. I wonder if these are fake memory modules. I now notice one disgruntled buyer left a message about another Samsung memory sold by the seller that it was a fake. I knew about fake LSI 9211’s but didn’t even consider memory. This is making it harder to buy real product.

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
The Hynix modules that work are not on the Intel Hardware Compatibility List, FWIW...

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
In general those 16gb modules should be fine, even if not on certified list pretty standard stuff. Should be no issues with number of ranks etc. Memory downclocks fine but I don't know that Intel board.

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
@AlphaG ... this is probably putting the horse behind the cart. Have you tried resetting the BIOS per the manual ?
Thanks for the suggestion. I still feel like I’m forgetting something silly but can’t figure it out even after a good nights sleep. I’m not sure why a BIOS clear would be any different than installing a new BIOS, which also didn’t work, but worth a shot I guess. It didn’t seem to help. I ordered a couple of Hynix 16GB sticks that are on Intel’s approved list to see if that works. The server has been down longer than I had hoped, but should be good for my uses for a while when I do manage to figure the problem out....

rampage666

Nov 18, 2016
I have the same issue (no useable memory)with this motherboard and now it even refused to post anymore after tried some different memory

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
Two Hynix sticks arrived:

16GB Hynix HMT 42GR7AFR4C-RD PC3-14900R 1866 ECC DDR3

Dreaded three alarm beeps persisted but the system booted. I went into BIOS and now just one of the two installed DIMMs is recognized. The other is showing as failed/faulty.

Argh! When did getting decent used RAM get so difficult? If I try to boot with one of the DIMMs, the system boots without warning. The other shows a “no usable memory” error. I will now have to try to get a replacement, then get 6 more and hope that they work. I was aiming for 128GB total.

Perhaps it’s just that the Intel board is super picky. Once I get 8 sticks that work I hope that it will be VERY stable for a LONG time.

I sent back the Samsung DIMMs and the seller is refunding me in full, which is nice, and including shipping.

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
Got 6 more of the Hynix 16GB sticks from the seller and he sent a replacement for the suspected bad DIMM. I tried each one of the new sticks on a boot cycle and they all work flawlessly. All 128GB running now with memtest86+ overnight without errors so far. Finally!