Trouble whilst building workstation with X9DR3-LN4F+ sm board

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeepee1970

Feb 8, 2017
Hi, all,

I am looking for help. I started putting together my own workstation build with X9DR3-LN4F+ mb and 8 x 8 GB memory. Testing the system with memory installed I am running into a problem.

With 8 stick it doesn't work. Error code BA on screen.
Removed all sticks, started with two, system boots normal etc etc, all succesful untill I place the 7th and 8th stick. Then I get the BA on screen.

Switching the sticks around is ok als long as I do not place more than 6 sticks in the system.

Can I conclude that two memory slots are not working?

Placed all the memory in the order described in the manual but no joy, I conclude myself that all stick are working hence the memory slot failure question.

Can anyone help?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Sounds like the memory slots are dead.

You can check these things before giving up the two slots:
- Bios updates
- bios reset to defaults or optimized settings/cmos reset

Reactions: T_Minus

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
Have you tried putting ony 7 sticks in? 3 for on CPU1, 4 for CPU2? If that fails, try 3 in CPU2 and 4 in CPU1. It might be one of the CPUs or one of the slots. If one of those two configurations work, try switching the CPUs to the other sockets (CPU1 to socket 2, and vice versa). At least you will be able to identify whether it's a bad slot, a bad CPU and which one might be the culprit.

Jeepee1970

Feb 8, 2017
In the mean time I tried a cmos reset with the battery removed, shorting the designated contacts according to the manual. No Joy.
I tried putting 1 stick for each cpu, after that 2 sticks, after that 3 sticks. After that the 7th. Then things go wrong, I even tried switching working sticks to other slots. The only thing I have to try is switching CPU's

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
IF, just if, the system fails after working with the first 3 sticks (3 sticks per channel in the correct order) for each CPU and it doesn't matter which CPU gets the next stick of memory, then it's possible that a voltage regulator for the upper memory channels may be bad.

Since it's an ebay purchase, I'd start talking to the seller to see about a return or replacement board.

Jeepee1970

Feb 8, 2017
I took a gamble and placed them in two other slots (of the 24) The system boots and in bios sees 64GB, will this be an issue in performance?
As one channel isnt filled on the cpu. Cannot imagine that system will compensatie for missing ram in a certain channel

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
Did you place the memory sticks in slots that would balance the amount of memory for each CPU in the appropriate channels to at least attempt to give you 4 channel memory access per CPU? There are a whole lota mem slots on that mb.

Jeepee1970

Feb 8, 2017
At the moment I did not do that, I could try to pick the logical slots that would come after the non functioning slots that I avoided now.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
Check the documentation to see if you are placing 4 sticks of memory, one in each memory channel, for each CPU. Four per CPU. Try to stay in the same channel as the failed slot(s). It might work. BIOS should report whether you are getting a full four channel memory operation per CPU.