Trouble installing OmniOS on X11SSL-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

grogthegreat

Apr 21, 2016
Hi,
I'm in need of some help installing OmniOS 151018 onto a new server I've just put together. This is my first time ever trying OmniOS as I want to see how it plus NappIT compares with FreeNAS.
First the build:
Supermicro X11SSL-F motherboard (bios updated to latest: 1.0b)
Intel i3 6100 CPU
32GB Crucial ECC UDIMM DDR4
LSI 9212-4i4e (updated to P19)
Supermicro 826E1-R800 chassis with SAS-826EL1 backplane (3Gb SAS expander)

I'm trying to install OmniOS to a 32GB SATA DOM. The problem is that I can't get the installer to boot correctly. I've tried mounting "OmniOS_Text_r151018.iso" over IPMI and booting to it. I've also tried writing "OmniOS_Text_r151018.usb-dd" to a spare laptop SATA hard drive and booting to it.

In both cases the motherboard sees the bootable device, I get the OmniOS splash screen, followed by the following:
SunOS Release 5.11 Version omnios-r151018-ae3141d 64-bit
Copyright (c) 1983, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
Remounting root read/write
Probing for device nodes ...
Preparing image for use
Requesting System Maintenance Mode
(See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
Console login service(s) cannot run

Enter user name for system maintenance (control-d to bypass): _

At this point I am stuck. control-d results in the same prompt. This shouldn't be related to the USB booting issue on these X11 boards since I'm booting from a sata drive. In the bios, I've set the boot mode to Legacy and enabled the "Install Windows 7 USB support".

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE

grogthegreat

Apr 21, 2016
Thanks for the reply.
I didn't think I would get affected by the usb issue since I was booting the installer from a sata hard drive. I'll try a sata CD/DVD drive latter today and see how that goes.
Would I be able to use your image on my 32GB sata dom or do I need something at least 60GB? Your image would obviously save a lot of setup work.
Thanks!
Greg

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I offer two images, one for a 60G Kingston (may work with other 512n disks > 60G)
and an image for the Intel S3510-80G (512e)

I have tried the image with a SuperMicro 64G Sata DOM- does not work.
The DOM seems to behave different so this would require an image created on the DOM.

grogthegreat

Apr 21, 2016
Thanks for suggesting using the SATA DVD drive. I was able to properly boot to the installer, install onto the SATA DOM, and successfully boot to OmniOS. Now I just need to configure it and install Napp-it! Hopefully by the time I do another installer, the USB3.0 driver will be in the OS.

Is there a reason for choosing larger SSDs for your napp-it ToGo images? Put another way, is my 32GB SATA DOM not a good choice? I assumed I wouldn't need anything bigger/faster since everything would be stored on the ZFS pool.

Thanks again!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Even OmniOS, one of the tiniest full feature storage distributions at all get bigger.
A default setup requires around 20GB.

If you add some boot environments you are 80% filrate what gives you a warning.
Also on problems you are not able to save a crashdump.

This and the small price difference between 32GB and 64GB let me use 60GB now as default
(40GB on the new napp-it ToGo VM)

grogthegreat

Apr 21, 2016
That reasoning makes a lot of sense. I already bought the 32GB version but if I ever need a replacement or build a 2nd system to ZFS send/receive between, I'll upgrade. I love the simplicity and size of the SATA DOMs but the price per GB is still a little high compared to a regular SSD. Prices will hopefully drop over the next couple of years.

I've been having fun playing with Napp-it over the last couple of days. It was amazingly simple to get going which is amazing considering its capabilities.