Trouble determining CPU or Motherboard is dead

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Maths911

Jul 25, 2020
Hello, i have a problem.... i ordered a ES CPU from ebay

here is the link:
Intel Xeon Gold 6149 ES QLQ9 2.8GHz 16Core 22MB 14nm 195W 32Threads LGA3647 CPU

The seller suggested to use this motherboard: X11SPi-TF which i bought then upgraded BIOS to 3.3 when i received the board
Today i got the CPU, no damage, but when i put it in the socket and try to boot, the IPMI light just blink... i tried to jump the power with a screwdriver and it does nothing
From my research the support for ES cpu got dropped with supermicro new bios, im searching an old bios 2.0b for that X11SPi-TF
X11SPi-TF | Motherboards | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

I tried waybackmachine, but i just cant find it anyway i swear i did everything i could i need help...
Thank you

Maths911

Jul 25, 2020
ok i got the file, but nop after downgrade to 2.0b i still cant post, i get FF post error and i dont have the right hardware show in IPMI....
i disconnected everything and just plugged the CPU, the 24pin and the 8pin, no ram and using a screwdriver to jump the power
The power never go on, i see IPMI flashing green and when i try to start it from IPMI i get failed error, fans never start
is it the cpu or the motherboard?? already ruled out the PSU

Maths911

Jul 25, 2020
i just did a CMOS clear, by removing battery and power and shorting the CMOS with a screwdriver, i still have same issue and i dont have any ram or cpu installed and it still see another CPU i dont even own... and RAM thats not even there and not same model as mine......... thats really weird

Attachments

Maths911

Jul 25, 2020
try to reset bmc...that is not the same as rebooting system.

it is in webgui of ipmi
Hello, already tried that, i also downgraded BIOS and BMC to 2.1 and 2.0b, i think its the CPU the problem but its hard to figure out
My question now is, when you jump the power pins, does the motherboard would do a noise to say that the CPU is not installed?

Because right now, when i jump the pins its just sitting there doing nothing, i plugged a fan and no electricity go througt, i tried another powersupply that i know its working, i tried other power sources(no UPS). And for the motherboard, its a brand new X11SPi-TF-O

I am pulling my hair over this as i dont have any other CPU and LGA3647 on hands, im pretty sure something is wrong either with the motherboard or the CPU but the challange is to figure out which of them

Before you ask, it sit on the motherboard cardboard, 24pin and 8pin are connected, CPU c properly sit but i didnt put any heatsink yet to test, no ram installed, i just try to get at least the motherboard to beep but its dont, cpu in or not

BMC dont seems to have any problem beside pulling wrong info from the component(maybe it needs a cpu in to figure it out?)

Attachments

Last edited:

Maths911

Jul 25, 2020
tested with a multimeter the front power pins and i see voltage going through so i know those pins are working but are not sending anything to the powersupply to start, the PSU fans should at least move 1sec but they are not.