Trouble crossflashing a Fujitsu D3116 (LSI SAS2208) to 2308

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiningPickaxe

Jul 28, 2021
Hello,
I am having a lot of trouble flashing a Fujitsu D3116 which is based on the LSI SAS2208 to 2308 IT Mode.
What I'm currently stuck on is that the sas2flash utility wont detect my Card.

Already did a couple of different attempts which I want to lay out here:
  1. Use megarec to write a 256B empty sbr and use megarec with -cleanflash to wipe the flash. Boot to the UEFI version of sas2flash and it wont get detected. megarec can still see it though, so not entirely bricked.
  2. Use megarec to write a 512B empty sbr because I noticed that the sbr I backed up when starting was also 512B and there seems to be a revision with 512B of sbr. Aftewards -cleanflash again. no success.
  3. Use the sbrtool from this project on github: GitHub - marcan/lsirec: LSI SAS2008/SAS2108 low-level recovery tool for Linux to analyze the original sbr and create my own (not empty) sbr. Vendor set to 0x1000 (LSI) and Product set to 0x0086 (SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2). Tried setting Subvendor IDs /Subproduct ID to Fujitsu ones and also Supermicro. Attached a config as reference. Also -cleanflashed it, no success. A good source for PCI IDs is this: The PCI ID Repository
  4. Tried using different sas2flash versions, currently found P20, P14 and P5. None worked.
At this point I'm running out of ideas on what to try and why sas2flash won't detect my card.

Has someone managed to do this to a Fujitsu D3116 before or does someone have some more ideas?

Attachments

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
I would try using the lsirec utility to "host boot" the card using the firmware .bin you intend to flash to it, and then see if sas2flash or lsiutil will detect the card. I've had some success going this route with a proprietary SAS2308 card I've been tinkering around with.

An easy way to get all these utilities in one place is to use @fohdeesha's Dell PERC cross-flashing ISO from here: Introduction - Fohdeesha Docs

Reactions: fohdeesha

MiningPickaxe

Jul 28, 2021
@Sleyk Hi thank you for your thorough answer, thats annoying :/

Do you know if the PRAID CP400i can be flashed to IT mode? Fujitsu does offer that card as a PSAS variant (IT mode). I grabbed the fujitsu update installer for that and was able to extract roms from it, but I don't want to risk bricking it if you already know it wont work ;)

Reactions: Sleyk

MiningPickaxe

Jul 28, 2021
Ok, that SBR saved me :D Thank you very much for your work, all flashed now and working beautifully! Saved me about 500€ there :)

Reactions: Sleyk

tobby

Jan 18, 2023
So is there anything one can do to update/crossflash/... the D3116? Or does that mean, that one is locked to the old Fujitsu software?