Trouble booting Proxmox on fresh install

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JamesL

May 27, 2020
Hi,

I am getting:
error file '/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found

This results in me getting put in grub rescue mode. I have attempted to fix this in Linux mint live but I am still stuck. Any help would be appreciated.
I installed PVE 6.2-1 using Rufus and etcher with 2 different USB drives and I still get this error.

Thanks!

MrCalvin

IT consultant, Denmark
Aug 22, 2016
Denmark
www.wit.dk
My answer/advice doesn't directly address your problem, but I can highly recommend replacing grub with systemd-boot to take full control of the boot process.
systemd-boot is much more simpler, and you never run into boot problems you cannot solve easily yourself again.

Although I haven't tried it on Proxmox, I use Debian KVM/QEMU as my virtializer, but on the other hand, Proxmox is based on Debian AFAIK so I would be surprised if it didn't work.

Reactions: JamesL

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
Although I haven't tried it on Proxmox, I use Debian KVM/QEMU as my virtializer, but on the other hand, Proxmox is based on Debian AFAIK so I would be surprised if it didn't work.
Just to follow up on that, Proxmox is indeed based on Debian but uses a modified kernel based on the Ubuntu kernel.

Have you tried browsing the file system using the live cd to see if the files are actually there?

Reactions: JamesL

JamesL

May 27, 2020
My answer/advice doesn't directly address your problem, but I can highly recommend replacing grub with systemd-boot to take full control of the boot process.
systemd-boot is much more simpler, and you never run into boot problems you cannot solve easily yourself again.

Just to follow up on that, Proxmox is indeed based on Debian but uses a modified kernel based on the Ubuntu kernel.

Have you tried browsing the file system using the live cd to see if the files are actually there?
Thank you for the recommendation. I am not sure how to replace grub, but I replaced my HDD instead and proxmox booted fine on the new HDD.

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
Nice! Good to hear everything worked out.
Did you try installing on a dodgy hard drive?