Tripp Lite SR12UB - any experience with this?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
Anyone have any experience with the Tripp Lite SR12UB rack cabinet?

I'm looking to downsize to a rack in the 12U to 14U range. I also want solid sides and tops, and a locking door on the front.

I really like these: SuperMicro CSE-RACK14U, HP/Compaq S10614, DSI 1014. But this Tripp Lite is a little cheaper, plus shorter (which is a good thing).

Can't really find much info on it. Newegg reviews are good, but there are only two.

Anyone have any suggested alternatives that I may have overlooked?

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
How about this StarTech 12U Known-Down Cabinet RK1236BKF, anyone have any experience with it?

A few sparse reviews here and there, with a few complaints about the package not including all necessary hardware.

I found that Star Tech is selling refurbished units (append "R" to the part number) directly, at a substantial discount. I went ahead and placed an order yesterday.

The knock-down (aka build it yourself) style makes the shipping much cheaper---can use standard carriers instead of a freight carrier (which is expensive and annoying when delivering to a residential address).

If anyone has any experience with this, let me know... otherwise, I'll try to take pics and do a little writeup myself when I get it.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
Wow those R units are cheap! Too bad US stock = 0 right now
When I placed my order, it also said US stock = 0 (I'm in the USA). But they accepted my order (and have already charged my credit card). I'm assuming they'll ship from Canada... but maybe they'll make me wait until they have a domestic stock?

If I don't see some kind of shipping notice in a few days, I'll contact them.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Another option is the HP 14RU cabinets. http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/2349113

I recently scored one off ebay for under $430 AUD delivered and there was another, just didnt have the coins.

They are 950mm deep between the rails and handy if you want to double-end your gear. Doors are locable and yes, it is one castors. The only thing I am going to change is the castors to bigger rubberized castors for clearing cables at venues.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
I saw that, but I want a cabinet with solid sides/top, and also front and back doors.

Lost-Benji said:
Another option is the HP 14RU cabinets. HP S10614 (14U) Rack - 10000 series rack options - HP: 292302-B22

I recently scored one off ebay for under $430 AUD delivered and there was another, just didnt have the coins.

They are 950mm deep between the rails and handy if you want to double-end your gear. Doors are locable and yes, it is one castors. The only thing I am going to change is the castors to bigger rubberized castors for clearing cables at venues.
Yup, I had that on my short list... but brand new, they were pushing $1k USD. I was waiting for a refurbished or used one to show up cheap, but never saw any that were cheap enough. Freight shipping is killer.

Anyway, I received my StarTech 12U Known-Down Cabinet RK1236BKF today. I cancelled the order for the refurb unit from StarTech: they wanted $140 for shipping---that's for a flat pack, with a traditional carrier (UPS), not freight. Plus they said it may take an additional two weeks to be shipped out of Canada. I was getting impatient, so I ordered a brand new one from Provantage. Came to $401 including shipping.

Initial impressions: box looked like it had been through hell, but parts inside were mostly fine. Minor scuffs and chipped paint, but nothing bent or broken or non-square.

The hardware they sent me was clearly a different revision than the instructions, i.e. they were out of sync. Technically, I'm missing only two screws; but in reality, the screws for the top panel are too short, so that means I'm effectively missing four screws. Hopefully I can grab what I need at the hardware store.

Conceptually, assembly itself is straightforward. But many of the holes aren't tapped. I assume this means some of the assembly is self-tapping; that's how I'm proceeding anyway. But of course they use obnoxious hex-key bolts, so I can't use a nice screwdriver, but the provided T-shaped hex key. The T-shape is necessary, since the tap-as-you-go thing requires a lot of torque.

Finally, for the stabilizer feet, they (1) painted the bolts, and (2) didn't seem to precisely machine the threading, so they don't go easily in; they required a wrench from the get-go.

Overall, assembly is kind of annoying, but the final product looks like it should be solid, and well-suited for my purposes. Not quite finished yet, but when I do, if I'm sufficiently motivated, I'll take some pictures for the benefit of everyone.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Pictures appreciated! Sounds like a bummer on the installation/ assembly.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
Here are a few pics. Component list, from top down:
  • HP ProCurve 1400-16G switch
  • pfSense box - Intel D2500CC motherboard, 2U case
  • Shelf with random stuff on it
  • Fileserver - SuperMicro SC836A-R1200B chassis
  • PSU - APC Smart-UPS 1500

I threw in a pic of it next to my now unused StarTech 4POSTRACK25, so you can get a sense of scale. The old rack is now for sale. :)

Overall, I'm happy with it. The assembly was a PITA, but that's a one-time thing. It feels fairly solid to me now that it's all together, and pretty much does exactly what I want.

Only partial complaint is the mostly solid/sealed front door. I'd rather have both doors be steel mesh (like the back door) for better airflow. Maybe I could acquire a second back door from StarTech, or simply use the back door as the front and not use the front door at all.

Reactions: lukestar2 and herby