Travla 2U T2280/T2281

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
So I can't find much information on these chassis' other than the basics that the Travla website or retailers are showing. The specifications just say support for 4 or 8 hot swap 3.5" drives. It doesn't state if they are SATA2 only or if the backplane can handle SAS as well. Does anyone have any additional information or have these chassis that would know?

I've got a pile of 1TB SAS drives I would love to put to some use for a system I am designing that would possibly use one of these chassis. I don't know of any other dual mini-itx chassis though to look at in case these don't support SAS?

Thanks!

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
I've tried reaching out to Travla or Casetronic (seems like same company just Japan vs US branches) and for me their emails bounce back as well as when I have tried to call their VOIP system is so horrible that you can't hear anything they attempt to say.

Does anyone know of any other dual mini-itx board chassis in 1U or 2U sizes? If not, how about a 1U single mini-itx chassis that doesn't sound like a jet engine? I could do 1U's with a single board but they can't sound insane. Thats why I was hoping to stick with a 2U as they would be a lot quieter. The only other caviets are that it needs to have hot swap SAS/SATA drive bays so the iStarUSA D-218M2-ITX is not an option and that it has to be less than 22" deep (most mini-itx chassis are substantially less than this anyway).

Last edited:

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
I spoke with iStarUSA about the M-140-ITX and confirmed it supports SATA only so that rules it out for me. Some of the other models they have are pretty close to what I would need here though I don't need a large quantity. They would have to be custom builds so unless a bunch of others here were interested in a group buy (if thats permitted) then they aren't an option for me. Looks like finding good 1U or 2U options is a lot harder than I thought it would be!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It is very tough to get small quantities in this area. With economies of scale, it is much cheaper to do larger runs.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Yup which is definitely understandable. Unfortunately if I go single boards in a 1U or 2U then there is no point in going with a mini-itx as there'd be plenty of room for a micro-itx. I through the idea of a group buy out there if thats permissible and there were enough people who would want a specific configuration. I could speak with my distributors to get pricing and would be happy to lead it. I've got a feeling I'll be using a lot more rack space than I planned based on the lack of non-custom chassis availability.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
As per below copied from their site they ship from Taiwan but are not easily available. I haven't contacted them yet but last I spoke with them they are just like iStarUSA in terms of built per order and minimum order quantities that are well above what I need.

Our Price:
$290.00
(The pricing does not include MB, HDDs and rail set on the picture)
Availability: Project only; please CALL
Part#: IPC-S2082M - BK
Shipping:
FOB Taiwan; please CALL

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
I see.... Well how handy are you with a Dremel or other metal cuttinng tools?
Into case modding? Would you like to be?

There was no perfect chassis I could find either for my lab nodes
(though that site I linked to came close).

I have 3 x Supermicro X10SRi-F's (ATX) + 1 x X10SDV-TP8F (Flex ATX).
On all of them, the CPU heatsink + fan forced 2U sized rackmount chassis minimum unless
I wanted high RPM (aka loud) fans.

I chose the Supermicro 504-203B cases ...yeah... 1U, but I used a dremel to cut out the bottom
of one and the back of two in the PCIe slot area so I can fit HHHL PCIe cards and 2U or 80mm Fans.

It was the only way I could get a quiet + short depth case for my desktop rack.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
I was hoping to go with a premade solution unfortunately. I'm reevaluating my designs now and seeing if I can figure out other options.