Transplanting new motherboard into HP Microserver gen8

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

echo87

Aug 17, 2015
Uppsala, Sweden
Hi!

Not sure if this is the right forum, but please move if that is not the case.

I have a HP MicroServer Gen8 which I would like to use as off site backup from my main Unraid box. I’m having trouble with getting the box to boot from usb and sd card is not an option for unraid. I’ve tried OpenMediaVault and installed it to the sd card. Installation is fine, but then it doesn’t boot again. I’d prefer Unraid anyway.

My question is, if anyone knows if I can find a motherboard that fits the HP’s one (20x22cm) or if I can fit a smaller size (like ITX), would the case/PSU etc work? I can add an HBA to handle the drives. I understand that I need to get new ram and cpu. I have an i3 lying around here somewhere that I can use.

Sorry for the ramblings..

//E

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
It's proprietary and even if you get it to fit, front IO won't match, nor will things like the position of the ATX power connector. You're better off buying a Supermicro 721TQ-250B or the likes if you want a custom build in that form factor.

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
Microserver Gen8 boots from internal usb 2.0 just fine, if you set partition as active and it is UEFI (I had ESXi 6.0 working there). USB 3.0 ports are on additional controller and not bootable. Sadly I sold the unit several years ago and can't test for sure. Try this instructions:

And don't scrap this marvel piece of server, don't you dare!

Reactions: Tha_14

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
It's proprietary and even if you get it to fit, front IO won't match, nor will things like the position of the ATX power connector. You're better off buying a Supermicro 721TQ-250B or the likes if you want a custom build in that form factor.
what do you think about mainboard mounting holes ?? even the positions of the holes are proprietary

Last edited:

F0rdPrefect

Feb 28, 2020
Karlsruhe (Germany)
It's proprietary and even if you get it to fit, front IO won't match, nor will things like the position of the ATX power connector.
You can use the HP MicroServer Gen8 Chassis Retrofit ITX Kit.
Gen8Fun - Umbausatz - 01.jpg

With this kit a standard ITX-Board will fit:

Umbau_01.jpg

Drawback: It is only available in a chinese shop: HP MicroServer Gen8机箱 Diy改装ITX套件-淘宝网
I bought it via superbuy.com

I have replaced the Powersupply from Delta with an FlexGURU 300W from FSP (Fortron). I have made my own harness.
FlexGURU-custom_mod-02.jpg

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
plz, show us the back side of your chassis....do you really need that io-kit with all of that jst-connectors??
how much did it cost to you with taxes, shipment ?
did you order the set of 440?

EDIT: EDIT
i am going to do this way: Google Translate

i will order this backplate to mess with it: 32.0US $ |Back Plate Baffle for HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8 Gen 8 Draw plate Aluminum Case Server Frame|Computer Cables & Connectors| - AliExpress

Last edited:

dreamsin

Oct 31, 2018
Very cool, really odd that such a product exists. I can't imagine there are more than a few enthusiasts interested.