Total shocker today - thankfully resolved quickly

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So I had to reboot my vsan cluster today due to the urgent data consistency update. Done that, fixed the totally annoying "Addition or reconfiguration of network adapters attached to non-ephemeral distributed virtual port groups" issue I always seem to get recently and fired up my freenas box.

Boom, main pool (8x8TB in mirror config) does not come up - 3 disks show up as "512.0 B" instead of 8 TB so pool cannot be imported.
Frantic searching in smart data shows all 3 drives have normal size. Reboot Freenas, no change. Search online does yield no results. No idea how recent my remote backup is (assume a week) and whether its complete/usable/recoverable :O

Thankfully reboot of host solved it, but hey am I aware that I need to run a recovery exercise again;)

Reactions: dswartz and Patrick

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Regardless of backup that kind of stuff always has your heart skipping a beat !

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Man this is getting old. This time it hit all of my drives... still scary. Glad I made this post to remind me of what I did to fix it !

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
No. Might be related to ESX patching... or might not be. Don't boot the box unless I have to, so might be coincidence as well.

Potentially a power issue I guess. Maybe too much draw on reboot. Will have to investigate at some time (when I am done with all the other ... challenges... esxi is just presenting;)