Toshiba Enterprise SSD refurb 960,400 and 200 TB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I have a hell of a time paying newegg.com from canada.
They want immediate payment backed by CC via paypal and a us mailing address.

Next time I'm going to try transferring cash into my Paypal account from my bank and shipito but mostly I just try to find equivalent deals with companies that actually want my money.

Reactions: tare55 and pgh5278

aero

Apr 27, 2016
They should be much better considering the dwpd for s3500's is only 0.35. The write performance on these is also better, particularly the HK3E2 models. The Toshibas are also over a year newer than S3500, so it's likely used ones will be a little less used.

edit: I'm actually tempted to buy some of these and throw my recently purchased used S3500's in the trash.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I've previously had problems paying for goods on Newegg, I think it knew my PayPal or credit card was in Australia.
How do you manage to get through the checkout ok? Cheers.
These questions keep popping up from this side of the pacific and the other side of the atlantic. Perhaps I should pen this up in a bit more detail and organized fashion,so there is a reference point.(will discuss with Patrick)
I work on the basis that if there is a will, there is a way :) .
The very first step is to investigate and understand your local / country options. This takes time, energy and commitment. I have found good deals in Europe in fact I just received some Supermicro parts from Europe.
The IT business is universal and recycling goes on all over the world, You just need to find the right door. Here in Australia if it is HP or Dell you want there are many options. Supermicro is far less common...

There are many options to buy in USA from Australia and other countries. Luckily I have lived in all parts of the globe in including USA, so this has helped.
These are in no particular order and are options or requirements to achieve the goal of buying what your heart wants.
  • In the beginning I did use work colleagues and friends in the US as a shipping address, and they would forward them on. Consider this only for small items and irregular purchases, as your friends dont have access to good shipping rates, and I didnt like the impost on them to send stuff on.
  • You should talk with your bank and get your foreign shipping address setup as an address in their system, this generally stops any issues with "some is buying on your credit card in xyz" calls from the bank, and makes transactions easier, as the address matches their system.
  • Try to limit your purchases from a handful of companies. Choose these companies wisely and understand their systems to mitigate issues.
    • First port of call when visiting a website is to check out there payment options. Most US retailers are not setup for foreign shipping and so dont have good rates with international freight outfits, but there are more realizing that the global market adds $$$$ to their bottom line.
      • Generally try to use paypal as many sites can use foreign paypal accounts. However a few including Mr Newegg insist on a US based paypal account. However newegg have shipping destinations and local currency options at the top RHS of their site for UK, Netherlands, Poland, Singapore, Ireland, Australia and NZ. ( note they do not sell all their products, for example all of the great deals wont show up..)
      • Get a US paypal account and align your shipping addresses with this account for newegg or,
      • Pay shipito or others to buy your newegg purchases and similar shops which require US payment system to buy for you, they offer this service, this costs a % but if it is a good deal, then so what..
      • Have yet to find one online retailer that has everything you want, eg wiredzone is good pricing on some things, generally have items in stock, but they get your $$$$ on the smaller items. Note the more shops you buy from teh more headaches with shipping etc..
  • For Ebay purchases most accept global paypal, ensure your US shipping address aligned with paypal shipping addresses, you can have multiple setup in paypal.
  • Choose your ebay merchants carefully if you want to ship directly to your country..otherwise use shipito or such like...
  • Dont confuse EBAY global shipping with what different ebays sellers charge, they are entirely seperate and different. Some ebay shops put huge multipliers on international shipping costs to deter foreign buyers, for various reasons. Important note here unless the shop is a big user of a freight company they get high rates. Shipping is like buying, the bigger qty you buy, the lower the unit price.
  • HOWEVER some ebay sellers have very good international shipping rates, A supermicro barebone workstation based on 732 case (patrick's favourite) with a E5V3 motherboard was about 50 ( single lga2011) to 101USD ( dual lga2011) to ship to australia depending on which model, so on a 700USD purchase with 9% sales tax = ~65 dollars the saving on having to pay US state sales tax almost covered the intl shipping. The shipping to land of Fjords and the land of Tulips is 40% less than to Australia. They will pay import tax on items probably no matter how the item gets into country, so that is possibly not really come into the comparison. In Australia there is no import tax if items total to less than 1000AUD, so always keep shipments under this value, unless paying tax is cheaper than dividing the shipment into 2....Actual pages from ebay are below...
  • Remember heavy = expensive shipping..Consolidate shipments at shipito etc to save weight and volume, ir dont pay to ship empty space around the world..
  • Have fun, do Your homework, shop and ship cheaper...
upload_2016-7-26_23-46-5.png

upload_2016-7-26_23-28-10.png

upload_2016-7-26_23-31-53.png

upload_2016-7-26_23-33-24.png

upload_2016-7-26_23-29-3.png

upload_2016-7-26_23-30-48.png

Attachments

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I had to laugh that freight to Netherlands was more expensive than Norway, especially as Amsterdam is a huge shipping point within Europe..

Perhaps they have a small surcharge for the extra effort required to deal with the Dutch compared to the laid back style of the Norwegians..."Couldnt resist"

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Thanks @pgh5278 for your very insightful and detailed post. A sticky or 'reference' article would be useful. Perhaps incorporating threads like" Freight forwarding services to Australia'.

Also to note, other than consolidations, there could be discounts sending multiple packages at the same time, e.g. with Shipito

NB. To Aussies: the AU$1,000 threshold to begin to pay GST tax is 'cost of goods' + freight charges.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
PS. How do you get a US based PayPal account. Can you do this with a credit card with a non-US address? Cheers.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
PS. How do you get a US based PayPal account. Can you do this with a credit card with a non-US address? Cheers.
I opened mine when I lived there..
go to US paypal site and give it a go, it will try and put/au/ in, but just take it out and you can stay on us site.. Have You tried before?

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
"Toshiba THNSNJ400PCSZ has been removed from shopping cart due to quantity limitation/insufficient stock. Some combo items might be affected by this."

Probably a good thing - I am thinking about going Intel only on MLC. The amount of work getting stuff from NewEgg is crazy and reason enough to just let it go.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Don't you just love how Newegg gives a threat with every item listed on eBay? Their marketing people really know how to move product, lol.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
My 8 x 400gb SSD will be here tomorrow. But I am busy with a kitchen remodel currently.

Reactions: Patrick

namike

Sep 2, 2014
Looks like I missed out on the 400GB drives (out of stock). I picked up qty 2 of the 200GB. I am hoping these MLC drives will be good for a ZIL / SLOG. Is my thinking right on that?

Reactions: solaris12

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Got my first batch of x8 400GB drives yesterday. Manufacturing dates are all Feb/Mar 2015. According to Crystal Disk Info the drives range in power on hours from 0 to 30 and have between 0 and 300 GB written. Unless the refurb process (was there one?) manages to wipe smart data then these things are mostly new, some literally are new. Currently running badblocks on them, will post results when that's done.

Now the bad news. I checked the serials for a couple of them on Toshiba's site and this is what it said:

Code:

Serial number determined to be sold to a system manufacturer with a unique system warranty 
and should be returned through the system manufacturer. If you have any questions you may 
contact Toshiba at 1-877-689-4899. Exp Date: 2018/03/04
Toshiba is washing it's hands on warranty service for these.

Reactions: Bradford

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Got my first batch of x8 400GB drives yesterday. Manufacturing dates are all Feb/Mar 2015. According to Crystal Disk Info the drives range in power on hours from 0 to 30 and have between 0 and 300 GB written. Unless the refurb process (was there one?) manages to wipe smart data then these things are mostly new, some literally are new. Currently running badblocks on them, will post results when that's done.

Now the bad news. I checked the serials for a couple of them on Toshiba's site and this is what it said:

Code:

Serial number determined to be sold to a system manufacturer with a unique system warranty
and should be returned through the system manufacturer. If you have any questions you may
contact Toshiba at 1-877-689-4899. Exp Date: 2018/03/04
Toshiba is washing it's hands on warranty service for these.
Newegg is pretty clear on the information for this item, that there is only 90 day warranty. There is no implication of a manufacturers warranty. That will also be part of the reason for the price? Per the cover page article by Patrick on enterprise SSD deaths at STH , the risk is very reasonable in my humble opinion.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Newegg is pretty clear on the information for this item, that there is only 90 day warranty. There is no implication of a manufacturers warranty. That will also be part of the reason for the price? Per the cover page article by Patrick on enterprise SSD deaths at STH , the risk is very reasonable in my humble opinion.
Oh, I'm fine with the risk, especially for the price and usage. I just thought there was a chance there could be a real warranty after I saw the manufacturing dates. Also, the message on Toshiba's site makes it sound like they didn't do the refurbishing themselves. I wonder where Newegg gets these from.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I picked up 8x 400GB drives:
upload_2016-7-27_12-5-12.png

8.75TB = approximately 22 full disk writes or about 7-8 days worth of drive writes.

BTW the S3710 400GB drives were sub 0.5TBW.

Reactions: Marsh and Fritz