Toshiba Enterprise 3TB SATA $85

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Seems like a great deal although I am leary oo 3TB HD's for some strange reason.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I got a handful of those 5TB Toshibas for my video station, haven't used them much yet.

Diverge

Feb 24, 2014
I got a handful of those 5TB Toshibas for my video station, haven't used them much yet.
I ordered 4 x 5TB today for my unas system. Price / TB seemed too good to pass up, although I read these were on sale at microcenter for $140 about a month ago.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Nice, I asked how much if I buy all 6 and the price isn't worth it with 5TB and 6TB new costing damn near 2x 3TB used as these, but if you needed that size def not a bad deal :D

dataoscar

Dec 2, 2013
I ordered 4 x 5TB today for my unas system. Price / TB seemed too good to pass up, although I read these were on sale at microcenter for $140 about a month ago.
Mind sharing how it works out? I have never considered toshiba drives for nas use.

Diverge

Feb 24, 2014
Mind sharing how it works out? I have never considered toshiba drives for nas use.
I'll let you know once I get my system sorted out. I have them up and running, but not really doing much until I swap this system in place of my old one and move a ton of data to it.

dataoscar

Dec 2, 2013
From what I have read online the drives do not have TLER/CCTL/ERC . My fear is that in the case of a bad sector, a drive would end up leaving the zfs pool.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
From what I have read online the drives do not have TLER/CCTL/ERC . My fear is that in the case of a bad sector, a drive would end up leaving the zfs pool.
Hmm.. enterprise without TLER?

I'm new to ZFS, is TLER needed to operate properly?

I have 4-6 Toshibas I was going to put in a RaidZ or mirrored pool... not sure if the rAID level matters, or if it matters at all with ZFS --- someone more educated can maybe enlighten us :) @gea

dataoscar

Dec 2, 2013
Sorry I should have been more specific. The 5TB Amazon.com: Toshiba 5TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm, 128MB Cache, 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (PH3500U-1I72): Computers & Accessories desktop class toshibas do not have TLER.

Now, I keep reading, and it seems that the drives should not drop from the pool, but ZFS will wait until the drive returns from the operation. If its many bad sectors, the problem compounds and zfs keeps waiting.

Really would love feedback, thats a great price. I just bought 2x4TB Seagate NAS drives from the Amazon when they had the deal and need 2 more drives. If the Toshibas are suitable for zfs, I'm game.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@dataoscar I'm curious for that reason too :D The drives I have are 5TB Toshiba "desktop" drives. NIB from Amazon and another retailer (I like to split my drive orders up.)

Hopefully @gea will be on soon and let us know. I forget where in the world he's at :D