Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
I also purchased n6005 board only from Topton. How long was your shipping? Did your board come with the rear port plate?
One of the comments complained about not having the i/o shield - and that are not telling you it comes with an i/o shield so if you don't receive on with it you can't complain but... I "spammed" topton in my order to provide please provide the shield. and got the shield

Reactions: black88mx6

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
Still no response from Topton about my non-functional board, in my message to them today I let them know that I'll be opening a dispute on Thursday if there is no resolution.
While I've been waiting for Chinese New Year to end and Topton to get back to me I went ahead and ordered a new board from CWWK. I used the chat feature on the website and got free expedited shipping. The board shipped on Monday and should be here on Friday. Hopefully I'll have better luck with this one.

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
The kickstarter that's using a variant of this board has a backer update about offering alternate CPU choices.

Could be a good option if they do manage to ship a version with a better CPU.
oof - if the 5825u or 1235u could be equipped with a little bit more then 16G or ram (say in the order or 64 - 128G?) then this would be a beast. 4ssd, 16 to 20 thread. Ideal homelab docker/vms rig.. I cba just wonder how they fit all that on that motherboard as it is already crowed. 2 nics would be enough tho. - Somehow this projects seems to be good to be true but if they can manage a full blown 20 thread cpu in there with 5 sata disks and 4 nvme stick @ full speed then wow.. Shame you can't buy mobile cpu's for standard socket motherboard.. so dumb.. pick a your avg mitx or uatx mbo, add mobile cpu = homeserver win regarding to powerconsumption.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaunderedShirt

black88mx6

Jan 19, 2023
Still no response from Topton about my non-functional board, in my message to them today I let them know that I'll be opening a dispute on Thursday if there is no resolution.
While I've been waiting for Chinese New Year to end and Topton to get back to me I went ahead and ordered a new board from CWWK. I used the chat feature on the website and got free expedited shipping. The board shipped on Monday and should be here on Friday. Hopefully I'll have better luck with this one.
Topton just replied to my inquiry saying that they just returned from holiday and my N6005 order now shows shipped.

Reactions: LaunderedShirt

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
The kickstarter that's using a variant of this board has a backer update about offering alternate CPU choices.

Could be a good option if they do manage to ship a version with a better CPU.
I immediately went and searched aliexpress for those MBs when I saw that kickstarter last week. Nothing yet, but if they do get made I'll for sure buy at least one of the 4 options.

black88mx6

Jan 19, 2023
I immediately went and searched aliexpress for those MBs when I saw that kickstarter last week. Nothing yet, but if they do get made I'll for sure buy at least one of the 4 options.
If those motherboards CPU combinations get made I am sure they will be available as standalone, and I would also purchase one or more.

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
My board from CWWK arrive a day early. It was able to power on and get straight into the BIOS. That confirms that the Topton board was faulty. I've already filed the dispute claim, so hopefully that goes through ok.

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
I did some more testing /w unraid.. Managed to run 2 vm's and a couple of dockers but when things get busy the board crashes. Had the dockers doing some work and I was copying some 60Gig qcow2 disk images to one of the nvme's. After a couple of minutes I a nasty kernel panic and the system halted. I'm not sure if it's unraid or how the board is wired or if there is something in the bios that causes this but I'm going to put this board about for the moment. Shame I had to buy 2x 16G sodimm which I cannot use anywhere else atm. Thinking about just finding a 1700 board that can hold at least 2 nvme's and 6 sata at full speed.. Pitty no one makes these board with embedded mobile i7's or something - and I'm done with unbranded aliexpress boards when this is no proper board support or when there are no bios updates to be found :/
Don't get me wrong - It might be very possible that it's unraid and has nothing to do with the board.

mconsoir

Feb 5, 2023
Dear all, I just bought the CW-N5105-NAS with the Intel N6005. Now I would like to buy 2x8GB SO-DIMM. What memory are you using? Is there anyone who can confirm a model that runs at 2933MHz? With best wishes, Markus

LaunderedShirt

Dec 28, 2022
Dear all, I just bought the CW-N5105-NAS with the Intel N6005. Now I would like to buy 2x8GB SO-DIMM. What memory are you using? Is there anyone who can confirm a model that runs at 2933MHz? With best wishes, Markus
G.Skill Rip Jaws 2x16GB 3200MHz is running fine at 2933.

Reactions: mconsoir

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
2x 16G HyperX @2666 works too (https://aliexpress.com/item/1005001926770320.html) You are probably not going to notice if it runs 2666 or ~3000 but I bet you notice the difference between 16G and 32G.

1675668698395.png

Last edited:

flobert

Sep 3, 2019
Is that board N5105 or N6005 okay for a home fileserver and plex transcoding?
Sounds that this one could be a good option with an acceptable power conumption.

sjoerd

Dec 29, 2022
Is that board N5105 or N6005 okay for a home fileserver and plex transcoding?
Sounds that this one could be a good option with an acceptable power conumption.
Seems to be possible with a few "hacks" - just found this (it's a debian/ubuntu hack/fix)
Shamelessly copied from the internet:
Open/create /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf and add the line:
options i915 enable_guc=2
Then run this command:
sudo update-initramfs -u

I think this trick might work on more linux-flavors.

(Still not happy with the board as I cannot find a stable unraid config.. Depresses me greatly. Currently have this board with 32G. Hopefull I can free an old ssd so I play around again. I don't want this purchase to be a waste.)

black88mx6

Jan 19, 2023
IMG_2024.jpeg

2x32GB Samsung (M471A4G43AB1-CWE) working fine. Unable to get M.2 port to work as SATA port even though another website had a SATA M.2 drive working. Currently in M.2 slot over memory chips.

Last edited:
Reactions: flobert

sambaum

Jan 24, 2023
2x32GB Samsung working fine. Unable to get M.2 port to work as SATA port even though another website had a SATA M.2 drive working. Currently in M.2 slot over memory chips.
I've tested 64GB too and ran a memtest during last night, without issues. I'm using 2x Crucial/Micron CT2K16G4DFD832A 32GB, 3200 MHz (running at 2933MHz).
As mentioned in past posts, when you change the memory configuration, the screen stays dark for for longer in the first boot.