Topton N6005 4x 2.5GB B3 - lost video after BIOS update

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
hi guys. My first post here. I got a Topton unit N6005 4x intel 2.5Gbps, B3 stepping. It worked fine but I got the "itch" and wanted to write a BIOS update from CWWK website. Since the info said it's only for V3/V4 I went for the latest bios version here: BIOS下载. Unfortunately, it worked somehow but I lost the video. it boots fine into pfsense but I got no video on console/bios. I prepared an UEFI stick with the previous BIOS but I am working in blind. - Can anyone list the steps/keys to reach the boot selection menu and select the USB UEFI stick? Many thanks!

Michele73

Oct 2, 2022
Hello,
same issue here. I have the doubt I flashed the wrong version... Is there any way to recover the BIOS?

Thanks,
Michele

Michele73

Oct 2, 2022
No, no monitor at all... I am totally blind, even if everything seems to work regularly.
The only different thing is that in HomeAssitant I see the BIOS version "JK4LV105" while before the update it was "5.19".

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
yeah, you flashed the wrong one...I am not sure yet what version you need but once we clear that, it's doable, I had the same issue with the same wrong bios. Can you take a picture of the mainboard? remove also the RAM.

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
good! looks like mine :). See attached the correct bios. You need to format a usb stick with fat32 and put the content of this archive on it. First, remove the SSD drive so the pc will be forced to boot from USB stick. The content of the archive must be extracted into a EFI folder you can create manually (see the pictures). Insert the stick, let it beep once or twice and wait 2-3 minutes then press ONCE the "E" Key. See the second screen attached. Leave it for 10 minutes, remove the stick and reboot. Seems I cant send you here the BIOS (too large). See the link on my OneDrive:

Let me know :)

Attachments

Reactions: Michele73

Michele73

Oct 2, 2022
Thank you very much! I will try this as soon as I get home (now I am in the office) and I will let you know.

In the while thanks again.
Michele

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
welcome :). One comment though: I have the v30 version, you have the V20 version but I guess it's the same bios since I can;t spot any visible differences and my Bios also shows 5.19 version. This is the actual "good" Bios for the ver 1/2/3 mainboard

The attached archive is something similar modified by the CWW support to boot and flash automatically (except the E Key)

Michele73

Oct 2, 2022
Hi @Catalin ,
problem SOLVED!!! Thank you very much, following your instructions I restored it in 10 minutes!

However, and that's the reason why I wanted to update the BIOS, I hope that version 5.19.4 will be released also for our motherboard... I am suffering some crash in pfSense (using Proxmox and direct PCI access).

Anyway, I will keep the CW website monitored...

In the while I thank you very much for your help!

Have a great day,
Michele

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
Great! I am really glad you fixed it. I am running pfsense bare metal and it' s working perfectly for 3 months now. It might be proxmox drivers, no idea but pfsense drivers are built by Netgate team and provided to freebsd.
Also, last time i talked to CW they said sometime in October there will be a bios update.

Take care! :)

Michele73

Oct 2, 2022
Great, thank you for the news about the BIOS!
Just: I am running pfSense under Proxmox because on the same hardware I am running pfSense (directly sharing the PCI ports), HomeAssistant and AgentDVR in 3 different virtual machines. I installed 32GB of RAM...

Also, I set the CPU governor to "conservative" (out of the box it runs with the "performance" governor, means high temperature and power consumption).

Cheers from Italy,
Michele

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
Welcome:). I see, nice setup you got there! I was running home assistant on a PI quite decent (i still have to redo the dasboard from scratch). On my Topton I popped a Noctua fan + low noise adapter and it's running at 27-28 degrees now, it was too hot anyway. It's nice to have fanless but I was worries about stability and other components. When I talked to CW I told them the case is undersized, I hope they will do something about it. Also, I,ve changed the thermal paste with some Grizzly Kryo. Midnight time, in all the slilence, I still cant hear the fan :).
Ciao!
Catalin from Romania.

Michele73

Oct 2, 2022
Hehe! Me too, I repasted it with K5-Pro, I really did not trust too much the original pasting.

Also, me too I added a 12cm silent fan on the top of the unit. This fan is controlled by a Sonoff USB switch which turns on only when the CPU is higher than 70°C... you can see the cyan vertical lines is when the fan was turning on.
The game changer in this case is changing the kernel controller from performance to ondemand (or conservative), this reduce a lot the CPU temperature (and the need to be cooled). ;)

Have a great day,
Michele

fan.png

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
Wow. Nice solution you got there. I will try to find something similar. Thanks for the tip. Have a nice day too!
Catalin

Michele73

Oct 2, 2022
Is this one? What kind of wub fan do you have in this case?
Yes, exactly that one.

About the fan, I ordered this one: 120mm, dual ball bearing. It is very quiet at the first 2 speeds.
It covers the majority of the top of the device, I just placed it on the top. :)

fan.jpg

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
Nice. Local supplier or Amazon? But how do you control the fan to start/stop based on cpu temps?