Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
Just to let any one interested in Proxmox. New opt-in kernel 6.2
apt install pve-kernel-6.2
Working fine here with pfsense with passtrough (i226) and other VMs and LXC. Appears to be snappier honestly, there are some improvements from Intel on 6.2 (even more on 6.3), I should have run an iperf before and after the update.
What's more interesting is the RAM usage: it decreased by roughly 10%, and I have no idea why. Will report back later on after testing on other boxes.

I believe that after upgrading to the latest Intel microcode (0024 on N6005/N5105) and using the latest 6.1/6.2 kernels most of our problems with these boxes are gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: TvdH and Stovar

alasia

Mar 18, 2023
Working fine here with pfsense with passtrough (i226) and other VMs and LXC.
What happens if you run powertop?

My machine freezes, no matter which kernel or microcode. Same with kernel 6.2. and latest microcode.

Code:
alasia@pve:~$ uname -a
Linux pve 6.2.6-1-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PVE 6.2.6-1 (2023-03-14T17:08Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux
alasia@pve:~$ sudo dmesg|grep microcode
[    0.000000] microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x24000024, date = 2022-09-02
[    0.123487] SRBDS: Vulnerable: No microcode
[    1.238842] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.2.

/Edit:

Problem solved, I temporarely plugged in a drive with a proxmox install from a similar, but not identical box. After a fresh proxmox install and migration of VMs everything works fine. No crashes from powertop of lshw.

Last edited:

TombaWaterHouse

Jan 2, 2023
Sweden
What made you switch the NVME to a different slot? And to which one? My P3 ssd is coming in today and then my CWWK N5105 V5 might be ready to go

Edit: I missed your previous post. You moved it from the center adapterboard to the side port to not use the adapter.
Correct!

whocarez

Aug 10, 2022
Hi,

I own a V4 N5105 from CWWK, upgrade with V5 Bios (the problem also occurs with V3 Bios), when NVME Lexar NM620 512GB is installed on slot near SATA port, computer doesn't recognize the NVME, when is installed in the slot near memory the NVME is recognized and boots.

Any idea of the problem?

PS: Photos aren't mine, only to visually aid

NOK Doesn't boot
NVME Lexar NM620 NOK.jpg

OK Boot:

NVME Lexar NM620 OK.jpg

Silent08

Mar 1, 2023
My device just came from CWWK today - trying to update a samsung 960 evo nvme ssd but can't pickup the usb stick - I think it needs to be in legacy/bios mode rather than UEFI but I can't seem to find the option in bios? Anyone know where it is?

~~~~~~
Edit:
Looks like it was unrelated & samsung's Linux boot environment for upgrading SSD firmware has been broken for a few years :D
Resolved by upgrading inside ubuntu:

Last edited:

Silent08

Mar 1, 2023
Additionally in case others are interested my unit came with the following BIOS:

BIOS Information
Vendor: American Megatrends International, LLC.
Version: JK4LV105
Release Date: 08/31/2022

is this still the latest version?

yahyoh

Sep 9, 2022
Hi,

I own a V4 N5105 from CWWK, upgrade with V5 Bios (the problem also occurs with V3 Bios), when NVME Lexar NM620 512GB is installed on slot near SATA port, computer doesn't recognize the NVME, when is installed in the slot near memory the NVME is recognized and boots.

Any idea of the problem?

PS: Photos aren't mine, only to visually aid

NOK Doesn't boot
View attachment 28012

OK Boot:

View attachment 28013
I think it should recognize the ssd in the 2nd slot, but only after a reboot for some reason.
I had the same issue where the device will not recognize the ssd in 2nd slot after the first power up unless i do a reboot.
I guess its a bug in the bios.

Reactions: whocarez

Vince

Feb 17, 2023
I'll follow up here with anything else interesting I find. Let me know if there's something you want me to look at while I'm testing it out.
To update, I've been running this for two weeks as my router/server, running about a dozen services on Ubuntu 22.04, bare metal. It's been rock solid - no problems at all.

• Be sure to see this thread, where @fta posted an unlocked BIOS. With the settings there I and others are getting benchmark tests off the charts for the CPUs in these systems. This make the charts on the aliexpress listings understate the CPU power by quite a bit. Because the 8505 isn't tested as much, it's the most understaed, and as shown in the other thread performs much closer to the 1215U than the listing.
  • The system does not get very hot, even at full blast. I don't see temperatures much higher than 70°, and the case also never gets too hot. Overall it cools quite well.
  • Ubuntu Server 22.04 would not install properly. First, I needed to add nomodeset to the boot arguments just to get the installer running, but then another installer bug would pop up. I just installed desktop (no issues), and manually switched it to a server install.
  • The blue power LED is extremely bright. Easily leaking out of my server (bedroom) closet. I put a cover over it.
  • The included screwdriver is useless as an actual screwdriver, but makes a great fidget toy.

BoomBangCrash

May 21, 2019
No USB3.
NVME is just x1.
RAM is DDR5. One slot. Too expensive right now.

Hmm... meh.
I think the written specs are wrong (no surprise there) - it has 2 blue usb 3 so looks like 2x USB2 and 2x USB3
NVME... yeah but that's still 1GB/s which would be enough for me
RAM - you're only ever going to get 1 slot with these newer chips

I'll be waiting for (at least) the 2nd gen, especially with the i226 issues.

Reactions: DarkHelmet

alexw1982

May 20, 2015
Germany
Agree - at least for firewall purposes one ram slot and x1 pcie is more than enough. I even prefer two x1 NVMe slots for mirroring over one x2. For proxmox setups you still have the n5105/n6005 boxes. I am looking forward to the first temp and idle power readings one those boxes…

Reactions: Stovar

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
I'll be waiting for (at least) the 2nd gen, especially with the i226 issues.
Wasn't i225 older versions having the issues? Someone here said the issues were happening on windows and not that much on Linux.

EDIT: kingnovy also have a listing now. Same box however.