Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
To all having freeze issues every now and then: user R1CH on proxmox forum posted a modified version of the latest 2023 intel microcode, which adds fixes for N5xxx/N6xxx cpus. Here is the link to download and install:

That, coupled with the latest 6.1.14 kernel has made the boxes rock solid.

noenthu

Mar 7, 2023
I've got one of the older N5105 variants with the black v2.0 pcb and no fan holes.
I did reapply thermal paste to the cpu.
When running iperf3 server on the unit, I see the cpu plateau at around 50 deg c, but the nvme drive hits ~ 80deg cel.

Running iperf3 client on the 2.5gbe connection frequently returns results under 1.5Gbps. Running with -R (reverse), it consistently gets 2.2-2.3Gbps.
The only odd behavior I see when running iperf is the nvme drive starts to inch up into 80 deg C territory.

AdriftAtlas

Jan 21, 2023
To all having freeze issues every now and then: user R1CH on proxmox forum posted a modified version of the latest 2023 intel microcode, which adds fixes for N5xxx/N6xxx cpus. Here is the link to download and install:

That, coupled with the latest 6.1.14 kernel has made the boxes rock solid.
I think it's too early to celebrate considering I'm seeing two weeks of uptime between crashes of pfSense in Proxmox.

Reactions: Stovar

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
Running iperf3 client on the 2.5gbe connection frequently returns results under 1.5Gbps. Running with -R (reverse), it consistently gets 2.2-2.3Gbps.
The only odd behavior I see when running iperf is the nvme drive starts to inch up into 80 deg C territory.
For the speeds, try setting intel_pstate=disable in grub and rebooting of course. It helped the speeds for the realtek NICs here on a micro pc. People say intel's pstate power management is very conservative.

For testing if that setting will make a difference, before using it, try stressing the cpu and running iperf3 during it. Try something like stress-ng. That will "raise" the power somehow and the speeds will increase. That's what happened here.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
2 nic N100s spotted already here and here, they put standard 1gig nics though I think these are just the regular mini mobos for casual mini pc users.

Still nice to see them pop up so fast, can't be long before N100 x 4/6 intel 226s pop up.

Silent08

Mar 1, 2023
Thats great thank you.

Interestingly it looks like your model might not have the CPU posts.

From Stovars Model B post back on the last page:
1678299800108.jpeg

Looks like your model A doesn't appear to have them (or there is just no screw in there):
1678299835653.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TombaWaterHouse

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Guys just a friendly reminder, if you are posting internal motherboard pics or just pictures it might be a good idea to edit/blur out mac addresses, QR/barcodes from pictures before posting.

Silent08

Mar 1, 2023
Shouldn't really be an issue tbh.

The only time knowing someones MAC address would be beneficial to an attacker is if the user already exposed their external IP & has their firewall setup incorrectly... or they leaked their street address & wifi SSID.

Even then knowing the MAC address is of no use... unless (ontop of all the above) the user is utilizing MAC authentication (which is inherently weak and easily sniffed anyway).

Last edited:

Meich

Feb 26, 2023
Finally i can finish my journey with that stupid fan...

I've the Hunsn equivalent with a N5105.

The support was always replying quick and very kind - but provided wrong data and didnt trusted my measurements of the fan header :eek:)))

i was measuring 5V on the main-power. Hunsn always claimed it's a 12V support - they even provided pictures but with some different mainboard.

I've got the version with 8010 fan support, but need to print an adapter to install a Noctua 4010 5V.

On the pictures in attachment is a Noctua 6025 5V for testpurposes :)

Attachments

Reactions: gig and Stovar

TvdH

Jul 17, 2013
The Netherlands

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
What made you switch the NVME to a different slot?
Depending on a board there is a difference in how the drive is connected to the CPU. Either direct or with an internal hub/adapter. Beside a difference in speed there also is a good chance that if you plug it into the wrong one, your CPU stops going into higher C-states (or P-states), runs hotter while idle and draws more energy.

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
2 nic N100s spotted already here and here, they put standard 1gig nics though I think these are just the regular mini mobos for casual mini pc users.

Still nice to see them pop up so fast, can't be long before N100 x 4/6 intel 226s pop up.
Seems like these may have soldered RAM. Would be interesting to see if fanless versions come out with soldered RAM and see how much power it would consume. Right now my whole setup of N5105 firewall + TP-Link Omada EAP670 + 5-port Trendnet switch is probably about 25W-30W constant drain, compared to the R7800 router they all replaced at about 8W. Sure it's the cost of having separate components and a lot more options, but there seems to still be more opportunity to improve efficiency in these setups.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Right now my whole setup of N5105 firewall + TP-Link Omada EAP670 + 5-port Trendnet switch is probably about 25W-30W constant drain,
J3160 4 port on 200 mbit symmetrical 6-7w, J5040/16gb/12TB Nas 5W, unifi AP 6W and Draytech 1080 managed 8port switch 1.5 W. - 19 W total, so yes there is room for improvements.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Asrock J5040 Mini ITX, 16 GB RAM (Crucial Laptop Memory, 1 x 16GB, 2666 MHz, DDR4-RAM, SO-DIMM), 3 SSDs: 1 TB, 2 TB and 4 TB (Crucial MX 550), 1x HDD Seagate 2.5" 5 TB.
System, databases and jdownloader on 1TB; Torrent and docker data on 2 TB, FLAC/MP3s on 4 TB, Backup Laptop wife and backup my mobile phone plus other data exchange with my mobile phone on 5 TB (using smbsync on android for backup).

Runs Ubuntu 22.04 LTS server with 6.2.x kernel. Everything unneeded (keyboard, monitor, sound,...) plugged out and deactivated, system optimized with powertop.

Typical power consumption, inclusive spikes caused by heavy data movements: - measured using an ESP8266 with an INA219 plugged into the 12V line between wall and picoPSU. Data is captured every 10 secs, sent to Iobroker running on the NAS and then distributed to an internal web page using the E-charts plugin of Iobroker.