Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Vince

Feb 17, 2023
Think I did try disabling HD audio/sata and yeah no real difference on my power wall meter, there are some other bios tweeks if you are looking to try and get the wattage down posted here.
My BIOS doesn't have most of those settings. Specifically no PL1/PL2 that I'm looking for. I'm going to try to get a capture of all the BIOS settings I can share here.

Still 13watt is impressive considering the much more powerful intel cpu you have, can I ask what type of wattage do you roughly get if you run a web browser with several or more tabs/pages and an YT 4K video full screen?
So far 13W at idle is fantastic for me. It's going to replace a fanless N4200/M.2 SATA Liva Z computer which uses 18W at idle, so I'm winning there on idle power and with this much faster CPU and NVME.

I would still like it to use more of the CPU power available. My workload is rare, short bursts, so I'd be happy to have it use more electricity and generate more heat for those single minute bursts when they come around, then ramp down to a lower power idle state.

I don't have a GUI or browser installed on it right now, but I may try Ubuntu desktop soon to see if I can get a 22.04 install working. If I do I'll measure the power it uses browsing/youtube. Obviously it'll be somewhere between the 13W idle and 28W stress test readings I get now unless I can figure out tweaking the power settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar

Vince

Feb 17, 2023
Still 13watt is impressive considering the much more powerful intel cpu you have, can I ask what type of wattage do you roughly get if you run a web browser with several or more tabs/pages and an YT 4K video full screen?

For Firefox on Ubuntu 22.04, running a few tabs and a 4K video (on a 1080p monitor, but 4K from YT), it's 26W, with 12% CPU usage. I just helped a friend build a $500 gaming PC, which is a better desktop experience than this mini pc, though it idles at 60W and has fan noise. Though I wonder how much less power it would use if the GPU were removed and it used integrated graphics?

Reactions: Stovar

rotor

Sep 16, 2013
I'll show you. That USB device basically turns my laptop into a monitor for the server. Use it and an HDMI cable to plug into the computer, open VLC, and start viewing the capture device. That's the display. I have to use a separate keyboard to type into the server.

For me, this is about as good as my alternative of setting up a serial console with a null modem cable. My use case is the small number of times the system doesn't boot properly, and I need console access to debug it. Previously, that required lugging a monitor to my server room (a/k/a bedroom closet). The parts for a serial connection (usb serial, null modem cable, serial port for server) would be more expensive than the USB HDMI device. Then when I need a local console, it's almost always due to a BIOS problem, so I need to be sure I can get in to the settings, and the devices in my price range can "forget" the settings for a serial port console and require HDMI anyway.
Amazing, thank you. That's a very creative solution! Next question: if the HDMI device isn't plugged in when the system boots, does it still enable the port, where if there's no monitor plugged in at power on the system doesn't activate the video port? I have "HDMI Dummy Plug Headless Ghost Display Emulator DDC EDID Emulator Fake Display 4K@60Hz" -- little dongles that emulate a monitor to avoid this happening.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
I don't have a GUI or browser installed on it right now, but I may try Ubuntu desktop soon to see if I can get a 22.04 install working. If I do I'll measure the power it uses browsing/youtube. Obviously it'll be somewhere between the 13W idle and 28W stress test readings I get now unless I can figure out tweaking the power settings.
Cheers, yeah has to be between 13-28w still pretty amazing, I was looking at the next intel cpu up with 10 cores but the price also goes well up so you have the sweet spot.

I too don't do much, but its nice to know as you say those initial burst you may need it.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
For Firefox on Ubuntu 22.04, running a few tabs and a 4K video (on a 1080p monitor, but 4K from YT), it's 26W, with 12% CPU usage. I just helped a friend build a $500 gaming PC, which is a better desktop experience than this mini pc, though it idles at 60W and has fan noise. Though I wonder how much less power it would use if the GPU were removed and it used integrated graphics?

Cheers that is impressive still, I did run a brief test in Win11 with my N5105 and I was pulling with 4K monitor setup roughly 22-24W but your cpu is more powerful and faster and much better gpu for 4K and movie file playback.

I don't think it will be too much if one removed the gpu, the cpu wattage would still go up so it may not differ too much but certainly can't be 100% since not tested this out my cpu has no integrated gpu sadly but it is a test I did consider a while back.

For reference my AMD 8core, 1050 gpu desktop hits 50-60 watts for surfing/YT, 70-80Watts with 4K large video easily it feels a complete waste of electricity since I don't game so will need to eventually move all set ups to mini pcs.

Vince

Feb 17, 2023
Next question: if the HDMI device isn't plugged in when the system boots, does it still enable the port, where if there's no monitor plugged in at power on the system doesn't activate the video port?
I've got very inconsistent results with this. Sometimes when I plug in this device (or in the past, an actual monitor), the display will come up properly right away. Other times I get nothing until a reboot. For me, in every case I'm plugging into the console a reboot is required anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

Silent08

Mar 1, 2023
Hi All,

I was intending to buy the V5 N5105 I226-V version of this box.

Originally I was going to purchase the Model B but have seen something on the pictures that'd make me consider model A instead:

As you can see attached, it seems the Model A has 4 posts to mount the CPU socket down too? While Model B has only 2.

In any review pictures/videos I've seen it looks like there are no posts near the CPU socket for this at all - but perhaps they were older versions?

Can anyone with a "V5" box comment and let me know if these posts actually exist in their case?

Attachments

Last edited:

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
This box looks pretty good

That's a neat little compact mini pc, bit funny though they dismiss the other units on the market suggesting it takes up more space and heat maybe they just forgot no noisy fan, extra usb ports and 2 or 3 display output connections are a negative also ;)

If you don't want a 4 ports and just need 1 this one on offer is pretty good and much better priced with similar specs.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Hi All,

I was intending to buy the V5 N5105 I226-V version of this box.

Originally I was going to purchase the Model B but have seen something on the pictures that'd make me consider model A instead:

As you can see attached, it seems the Model A has 4 posts to mount the CPU socket down too? While Model B has only 2.

In any review pictures/videos I've seen it looks like there are no posts near the CPU socket for this at all - but perhaps they were older versions?

Can anyone with a "V5" box comment and let me know if these posts actually exist in their case?
here is a V5 N5105 with 6xi226 from cwwk I got few weeks ago produced Jan 2023.

thermal contact and paste.JPG

My pic cut it off but looks like your B pic with just 2 post you can see the screw hole on the mobo so should be 2, someone did say a while back there copper block did not have those 2 screws on their copper heatsink though so it does appear they have improved the quality control on V5.

From the prime95 and cpu test I ran, temps were 49-52c with a tiny fan on inside of otherside. I think its more important the unit you receive has actual contact between the copper block and cpu and not the 1-4mm gap sometimes found on other units but as others have said most won't be running their cpus at full whack constantly so its perhaps worth doing that prime95 or cpu torture test and checking cpu temps for an hour or so to make sure its stable and good.

If you check few pages back, I left some notes on unscrewing it but if you are good with PCs don't bother its very easy and takes few minutes just try not to lose the screws since they are small.

Reactions: Keikun

Silent08

Mar 1, 2023
here is a V5 N5105 with 6xi226 from cwwk I got few weeks ago produced Jan 2023.

View attachment 27669

My pic cut it off but looks like your B pic with just 2 post you can see the screw hole on the mobo so should be 2, someone did say a while back there copper block did not have those 2 screws on their copper heatsink though so it does appear they have improved the quality control on V5.

From the prime95 and cpu test I ran, temps were 49-52c with a tiny fan on inside of otherside. I think its more important the unit you receive has actual contact between the copper block and cpu and not the 1-4mm gap sometimes found on other units but as others have said most won't be running their cpus at full whack constantly so its perhaps worth doing that prime95 or cpu torture test and checking cpu temps for an hour or so to make sure its stable and good.

If you check few pages back, I left some notes on unscrewing it but if you are good with PCs don't bother its very easy and takes few minutes just try not to lose the screws since they are small.
Thats great thank you so much!

Does anyone have a pic of a model A with the CPU posts present?

if the Model A case has 4 posts I think that'd sway my decision to get that case over the Model B just to ensure better contact with the case.

I noticed the Model B does have some small outlet channels for air at the top of the case though & it also doesn't seem like the Model A has these.

Any thoughts from anyone on Model A vs B? I'm sure the difference is most likely negligible between the two but be good to hear others input.

cioby23

Aug 11, 2022
I
Any thoughts from anyone on Model A vs B? I'm sure the difference is most likely negligible between the two but be good to hear others input.
I'm also planning to buy a v5 miniPC with an Celeron N5105 and 4 x i226 and I'm interested in which model to choose A or B in regards to thermal dissipation
Thank you.

djovani

Feb 24, 2023
Not sure what is the difference, I am using model C with n6005 and really happy with it.
One thing to point out is that changing the thermal paste made a significant difference under high load
I have added 16GByte Ram, with Pfsense running on Proxmox with 8G
Because of PfBlockerNGhave has around 60-70k rules, Suricata with almost 10k rules, and HAproxy and Squid proxy set-up.
My internet speed is just 100Mbit/s and I am able to push it trough with around 50% CPU utilization.
Temperature seems stable at around 70 after 10 -15 min of 12Mbyte/s download or upload.

Last edited:

alextz

Feb 8, 2023
I bought the CWWK one and did not find a way to boot it from the SATA port. It seems SATA port is port #1 , it does detect the SSD correctly in the BIOS but it seems I cannot boot from it.
Does anybody know a way to do it?

TombaWaterHouse

Jan 2, 2023
Sweden
Hi,

I bought a N5105 model A from "Topton Computer Store" in this link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...o.order_list.order_list_main.5.21ef18025GO416

So far so good, Running for 5 days straight after I installed Proxmox, OPNSense and a bunch of other things. Very straight forward and happy with it.
I haven't need to tweak any BIOS settings (I actually never got a chance to enter in the BIOS since I installed proxmox and plugged my WAN&LAN right away to play around it.

I have installed 2x16GB ram Crucial and 500GB M.2 SSD Crucial.
Not an ideal instalation place (as you can see below in the pics) but works really well with temperatures around ~40 even though it's inside an electricity cabinet.

Code:
root@proxmox:~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +45.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +38.0°C  (crit = +119.0°C)

nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +49.9°C  (low  =  -0.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
                       (crit = +94.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +48.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +55.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 8:     +48.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

PS: Work in progress :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Keikun

Silent08

Mar 1, 2023
Hi,

I bought a N5105 model A from "Topton Computer Store":

So far so good, Running for 5 days straight after I installed Proxmox, OPNSense and a bunch of other things. Very straight forward and happy with it.
I haven't need to tweak any BIOS settings (I actually never got a chance to enter in the BIOS since I installed proxmox and plugged my WAN&LAN right away to play around it.

I have installed 2x16GB ram Crucial and 500GB M.2 SSD Crucial.
Not an ideal instalation place (as you can see below in the pics) but works really well with temperatures around ~40 even though it's inside an electricity cabinet.

Code:
root@proxmox:~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +45.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +40.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +38.0°C  (crit = +119.0°C)

nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +49.9°C  (low  =  -0.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
                       (crit = +94.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +48.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +55.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 8:     +48.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

View attachment 27733View attachment 27735

PS: Work in progress :p
Thanks for sharing - Did you happen to take any pictures without the NVME Adapter in there? (wondering if you could verify if there are 4 posts to secure the board down on around the CPU for the model A - as shown in my picture for the Model A a few posts up)

Additionally would it not be better to fit your NVME directly to the free port rather than using the adapter board? if you do decide to move it would you mind please grabbing a picture of the board without the NVME adapter/RAM installed?

TombaWaterHouse

Jan 2, 2023
Sweden
Thanks for sharing - Did you happen to take any pictures without the NVME Adapter in there? (wondering if you could verify if there are 4 posts to secure the board down on around the CPU for the model A - as shown in my picture for the Model A a few posts up)

Additionally would it not be better to fit your NVME directly to the free port rather than using the adapter board? if you do decide to move it would you mind please grabbing a picture of the board without the NVME adapter in?
Yeah, Indeed.
I don't have photo without the adapter, I will take it later today I can post it here for you.