Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Interesting, I guess the mass production of e-Marked and USB-PD chips has come a long way since the "my nintendo charger blew up my pixel phone" days.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
i actually found using linux terminal to do the installation was frustrating as im not that nerdy lmao.
here what i did after some research, which only took few mins to do:
1-create bootable Ubuntu USB
2-choose test Ubuntu while booting
3- install rufus or etcher and gparted
4-format the disk to ext4 using gparted.
5-download the openwrt and unpack it
6-open etcher and choose the unpacked openwrt iso -> choose the correct desk and proceed.
7-after it is done, open gparted again and delete the empty partition then extend the openwrt partition to full disk size and apply the changes
8- reboot then remove the usb desk, and it should start up to openwrt.
9-connect the ethernet and start the config.
10-profit.
I just used my Ventoy USB, already had an Ubuntu bootable (or maybe Fedora? Mint? got a bunch o' distros it) to it, copied the OpenWrt img to it, booted the N5105 from the USB, dd the img to /dev/sda and rebooted. I don't think it took even 10 minutes to get OpenWrt booting on the device.

Need to get to grips with that, ended up taking me an entire day going back and forth just to get openwrt onto the nvme, threw up weird errors after extending that partition and other weirdness that stopped it from working.

etcher is nice but if you use it on windows and copy that openwrt iso to an ssd or nvme, it still threw up errors so ended up having to use finnix linux to download, then decompress then dd the img to nvme/ssd, then I rebooted the router and used gparted flash usb to extend that 2nd pesky partition to use the full size of the storage!

Its probably not as fast or good but its one way I know that works without errors at least!

Least am up and running with openwrt on this 6 nic cwwk kit finally.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Early thoughts on my CWWK N5105 v5 unit

Pros
-Was made 1/2023
-Looks solid and durable nothing loose
-Nice to have Full Display port and Hdmi port outputs
-Came with silent fan inside already screwed in and attached as cwwk threw it in for me
-System temps roughly 45c and 37c this was no fan on though and back cover left off.
-It does feel more hotter on top of unit, I can see why some modded it with an slim 120mm fan on top
-Bios is insane, never seen a system with so many features to the point id worry what to press or change I took pics in case
-Free Fan and Mounting bracket and sata cable came in box (you may need to ask cwwk for freebies!)

Cons
-the LED lights on this thing light up like a Xmas tree, I don't think there is away to switch them off in bios
and someone tried a black pen and regretted it later I believe.
-massive blue LED logo on the generic charger.
-out the box with openwrt latest build, hitting 12-13 watts idle (with 5 network cables attached) at fuller
download speeds it hit around 16-17 watts I think.

Really early thoughts, I need to do much more testing and bios tweaking to see if I can improve the idle watts, so it was more about just getting
up and running with basics since my old Asus router is on its last legs. Still I am impressed with CWWK build and Support/Service.

It would have been nice if there was a bios option to switch all leds off, feels like you could save 1-2 watts on that alone lol

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
-Bios is insane, never seen a system with so many features to the point id worry what to press or change I took pics in case
yes I agree. the only comprable thing was a semi no name motile laptop I had, where I followed some bios mod instructions to "unlock" the bios. That was similarly over the top on options with mysterious function.

Reactions: Stovar

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Early thoughts on my CWWK N5105 v5 unit

Cons
-the LED lights on this thing light up like a Xmas tree, I don't think there is away to switch them off in bios
and someone tried a black pen and regretted it later I believe.
I used invisible tape, layers and layers, on the LED lights of my mikrotik switch and QNAP nas.

Fisher S. Johnson

Nov 21, 2022
So I've been having a super intermittent and fussy problem with my new Topton N5105 i226 (x4 NICs).

For hardware I'm running a HP EX900 Pro 265GB NVMe SSD, 2x8GB of Crucial DDR4-3000 (running at 2933); SSD passes SMART extended, and RAM passes memtest86+. I'm running Proxmox on an EXT4 partition with two virtual machines; OPNsense (with three of the four i226 NICs passed through directly to the VM, the last NIC is for the Proxmox on bare metal) and Ubuntu (virtual networking).

Now for the problem: Both virtual machines seem to randomly hang, with no rhyme or reason that I can gather. The proxmox host, itself, has been rock solid. The VMs don't crash at the same time and they can be up and running just fine anywhere between several hours to 4-5 days. I have changed all sorts of settings for the VMs from machine type, host type, and most other guest settings that you can tweak.

I've been through the crashdump for OPNsense, and the only thing that really stands out to me are several of these errors resulting in a fatal double fault and kernel panic:

Code:
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
fault virtual address    = 0x0
fault code        = supervisor write data, page not present
instruction pointer    = 0x20:0xffffffff81225fd0
stack pointer            = 0x28:0xfffffe00d47d3848
frame pointer            = 0x28:0xfffffe00d47d3880
code segment        = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
            = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags    = resume, IOPL = 0
current process        = 63770 (python3.9)
trap number        = 12
kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled
Has anyone seen an issue like this before? Any suggestions would be more than welcome. I'm not quite to the pulling my hair out stage but the high intermittency of the problem is making this a real pain to troubleshoot.

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
A good 12V supply like the Meanwell 65W adapter I have (around 88% efficiency) is a good starting point, but there is always something which can be improved, and a GaN charger with a even higher efficiency rating would be an option.
You're not wrong about improvements, but if it comes at any type of an increase in cost the ROI likely doesn't make sense strictly from a dollars and cents standpoint. Presuming a 15 watt average power consumption, the energy savings over the course of the month is only about 1.5 kWh.

At my 17.5 cents/kWh electricity rate, I'd save a whole 26 cents a month. Your energy rates may differ, but it's still pretty minimal on a per-mini-pc basis.

Reactions: Stovar and efahl

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
Bear in mind that if you're using a 12V USB-PD trigger your charger needs to support the 12V power rule which is not mandatory, only 5, 9, 15 and 20V are and many chargers can't output 12V.

kboxvegas

Feb 12, 2016
Bear in mind that if you're using a 12V USB-PD trigger your charger needs to support the 12V power rule which is not mandatory, only 5, 9, 15 and 20V are and many chargers can't output 12V.
IIRC v2 or 3 introduced wide voltage input capabilities so 12-19v so 15v should be okay.

efahl

Oct 17, 2022
US California
Your energy rates may differ, but it's still pretty minimal on a per-mini-pc basis.
My back-of-the-napkin math came to the same conclusion. I looked up the symbology on the PSU supplied with mine, and it is in the 87% efficiency class. Assuming that this isn't a lie (no reason to doubt it, the PSU feels cool/ambient temp all the time), then improving efficiency would cost a lot more than I'd save for quite a long ROI period.

On the other hand, I do have maybe 4-5 devices on my rack powered by various 12-15V wall-warts or external PSUs, so my thoughts were to get a nice Mean Well and power all of them from one supply. I may or may not ever get a round tuit, and if I do it probably will just be because I can, not because of any financial or power savings justification.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
So I've been having a super intermittent and fussy problem with my new Topton N5105 i226 (x4 NICs).

For hardware I'm running a HP EX900 Pro 265GB NVMe SSD, 2x8GB of Crucial DDR4-3000 (running at 2933); SSD passes SMART extended, and RAM passes memtest86+. I'm running Proxmox on an EXT4 partition with two virtual machines; OPNsense (with three of the four i226 NICs passed through directly to the VM, the last NIC is for the Proxmox on bare metal) and Ubuntu (virtual networking).

Now for the problem: Both virtual machines seem to randomly hang, with no rhyme or reason that I can gather. The proxmox host, itself, has been rock solid. The VMs don't crash at the same time and they can be up and running just fine anywhere between several hours to 4-5 days. I have changed all sorts of settings for the VMs from machine type, host type, and most other guest settings that you can tweak.

I've been through the crashdump for OPNsense, and the only thing that really stands out to me are several of these errors resulting in a fatal double fault and kernel panic:

Code:
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
fault virtual address    = 0x0
fault code        = supervisor write data, page not present
instruction pointer    = 0x20:0xffffffff81225fd0
stack pointer            = 0x28:0xfffffe00d47d3848
frame pointer            = 0x28:0xfffffe00d47d3880
code segment        = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
            = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags    = resume, IOPL = 0
current process        = 63770 (python3.9)
trap number        = 12
kernel trap 12 with interrupts disabled
Has anyone seen an issue like this before? Any suggestions would be more than welcome. I'm not quite to the pulling my hair out stage but the high intermittency of the problem is making this a real pain to troubleshoot.
This could be due to Proxmox which has had problems with N5105 in the past. It's not the answer you want but I would try bare metal for OPNsense and see if the problem still occurs. If the problem goes away and you still want to run multiple guests, then I would try a different hypervisor - ESXi or straight KVM from the distro of your choice (I typically use Fedora). Both will allow pass-through although there is a little more effort involved when using straight KVM. The upside with a modern distro and KVM is that you get the benefits of the absolute latest kernel and libvirtd/qemu.

Do the Proxmox logs show anything at all? dmesg? system log? Any mention of emulation failure?

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
My back-of-the-napkin math came to the same conclusion. I looked up the symbology on the PSU supplied with mine, and it is in the 87% efficiency class. Assuming that this isn't a lie (no reason to doubt it, the PSU feels cool/ambient temp all the time), then improving efficiency would cost a lot more than I'd save for quite a long ROI period.

On the other hand, I do have maybe 4-5 devices on my rack powered by various 12-15V wall-warts or external PSUs, so my thoughts were to get a nice Mean Well and power all of them from one supply. I may or may not ever get a round tuit, and if I do it probably will just be because I can, not because of any financial or power savings justification.
Yeah, it really depends on the entire context. You can use USB-PD as a 'bus' for multiple device (protections and compatibilities for free), but some sort of standard like the 48VDC one is also nice (but you essentially trade 240V AC to 12V DC for a 48VDC to 12VDC...). There doesn't seem to be a good standard that would fit DC-bus racks right now.

Reactions: abq

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I also simply was not able to get proxmox and opnsense to work reliably on the n5105. the opnsense vm would crash randomly. Bare metal has been great for like 25 days straight.

Although I did have a Linux LXC container (not a VM) as well and that didn't have problems.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
I used invisible tape, layers and layers, on the LED lights of my mikrotik switch and QNAP nas.
thanks I did consider this, I found making small blue tack bits and just pushing it over the led did the job very well and its also easy to remove.

I do wish they had an option to switch off the LEDs in the bios, I have 6 nics and there are 2 leds on each side of each nic so its literally a xmas tree consuming what feels like 2-3 extra watts of led power.

kboxvegas

Feb 12, 2016
So I have been playing with some Gan charger's and the results have been pretty lackluster. I tried an Anker, Ravpower, and three Ultranet chargers. All but one was 65w, tested using a CWWK v5 n5105, amd 5825u, and a Intel NUC n5105. During idle there was only a 0.4 to 0.8w drop. Under load, the most I was able to see was 2.4w and that was on the amd during a full on stress test which is not a condition that system will ever see so it is not worth it in my case.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
You're not wrong about improvements, but if it comes at any type of an increase in cost the ROI likely doesn't make sense strictly from a dollars and cents standpoint. Presuming a 15 watt average power consumption, the energy savings over the course of the month is only about 1.5 kWh.

At my 17.5 cents/kWh electricity rate, I'd save a whole 26 cents a month. Your energy rates may differ, but it's still pretty minimal on a per-mini-pc basis.
I know. but beside sitting at around 30 cents/kWh I actually need another 12V power supply. And before busing another Meanwell or Leicke I'll just order some of those PD enforcer USB modules and test them together with the pd charger I already have. If the outcome is positive I'll look around for something like the Ugreen 65W pd charger and use it to run NAS and router attached to one of the ports and the ethernet switch (running on 5V) attached to another port.