Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sagidullin

Jan 9, 2023
Hi everyone! First post, still reading .. page 10 out of 115 :) What does everyone think of this model ? Does it have an upgrade able BIOS, and good thermal/physical parameters, or there is a better N5105 4x i226 unit to buy?

Many thanks!!!
Hello. I bought one.

There is no update (the answer from the seller Ali), although it seems like the BIOS is the last one.
No load 40 degrees on the processor.

See my post.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Okay thank you both. I will have to go trawling through AE I guess, unless you have a link to the one you’re referring to?

There are 2 different ones cwwk has which are with 6x i226

this one here its a bit cheaper

and this one here

I checked the specs and there virtually identical, in fact ccwk told me the top one that is cheaper does have the display port and hdmi connection even though their top pictures show otherwise.

You can double check both specs at the bottom just in case I missed something but I went with the cheaper unit, if you speak to cwwk via their live chat option on website here you can double check it also (specs wise) and if you are lucky might be able to chuck in any goodies, I got a wall mount kit and extra fan free.

Reactions: dazagrt

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
There are 2 different ones cwwk has which are with 6x i226

this one here its a bit cheaper

and this one here

I checked the specs and there virtually identical, in fact ccwk told me the top one that is cheaper does have the display port and hdmi connection even though their top pictures show otherwise.

You can double check both specs at the bottom just in case I missed something but I went with the cheaper unit, if you speak to cwwk via their live chat option on website here you can double check it also (specs wise) and if you are lucky might be able to chuck in any goodies, I got a wall mount kit and extra fan free.
Thank you for doing that for me Stovar it's not really easy to get through the mass of models when you have been out of touch with it for a bit.

Yeah, looking at the product pages between those two it looks like they are sharing info rather than unique product pages, classic AE in action.

Reactions: Stovar

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
Yeah, looking at the product pages between those two it looks like they are sharing info rather than unique product pages, classic AE in action.
Hah.. To be fair, in this case, I don't think they're trying to hide that the two stores are the same company (CWWK) so I'll give them a pass. But know exactly what you mean with all the other stores using the same info pages/pictures/graphics.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Hah.. To be fair, in this case, I don't think they're trying to hide that the two stores are the same company (CWWK) so I'll give them a pass. But know exactly what you mean with all the other stores using the same info pages/pictures/graphics.
Yeah not hide the company, I meant just reusing the same info / product photos. Often the text info and photos are at odds with each other.

pinter

Dec 11, 2022
I just installed Proxmox on my box and am having a hell of a time getting IOMMU ie passthrough working. Pretty sure I enabled what I needed to in the bios.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
to update on my self running proxmox and virtualized opnsense, I tried the following:
* c-states disabled in bios
* updated debian microcode
* latest 6.1 something kernel

and the router still bonked out after around 10 days of update. My wife rebooted it before I could log in and troubleshoot.

But that was my last idea, so just yesterday I installed opnsense baremetal.
I've had 13 days update with bare metal opnsense, so that's nice. I probably would have had a problem with the old virtualized proxmox setup by now.

Performance wise, I noticed that if I enabled zenarmor, I couldn't really get gigabit speeds through the unit. It would vary between 500mbps and 700mbps.

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019
I've had 13 days update with bare metal opnsense, so that's nice. I probably would have had a problem with the old virtualized proxmox setup by now.

Performance wise, I noticed that if I enabled zenarmor, I couldn't really get gigabit speeds through the unit. It would vary between 500mbps and 700mbps.
I didnt run my CWWK N5105 unit as bare metal for very long, but I seemed to get worse performance that way. I'm sure there were some tweaks I didnt do, but like you said, with Zenarmor running, it wouldnt get gigabit speeds. But, virtualized under Proxmox with Linux Bridges, which I've mostly been running, gets full gigabit with Zenarmor with no issues.

With the 6.1 kernel and no microcode, I've been hitting ~2 weeks of uptime. And the 2 weeks is only do to manually rebooting for updates, changing something, etc., and not instability.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
This story has been making the rounds. It started on techpowerup, then tomshardware picked it up, and I've seen it on another half dozen sites now. I've had zero issues with i226 other than the same issue that I had with i225 which is that it negotiates 100mbit on some 1gig switches. Maybe it's related to the implementation on raptor lake motherboards rather than something intrinsic to i226 itself. Dunno. All I can say is that it's depressing when you can't recite the "it just works" mantra for recent Intel NICs. They were the gold standard; even if these are in a different segment (aka cheap), they're tarnishing their brand when realtek starts to become the go-to for a hassle-free multi-gig experience.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022

I did some reading and asking across a few communities on the whole i225/6 disconnections be it openwrt, reddit and here, short answer felt not really an issue with these type of mini routers while under opensense, pfsense, openwrt, proxmox. Lots of issues on windows platform however, there was one guy who bought an realtek 2.5Gb nic since his i226 was disconnecting so much on his expensive motherboard during windows he told me a month ago.

So it appears with i225 b3 (apparently fixed) they still had disconnections and even the i226 owners still had disconnections but this was all windows users.

Reactions: sqrwv

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
This popped up on my inbox Morefine M9 12th Gen Alderlake N100 3.7Ghz DDR 4 M.2 2280 NVME Wifi6 DP1.4 4K Dual Screen Output Desktop Minipc Computer.

Seen here

Not a router just mini pc type box, but does appear there popping up already.

Also they claim "Compared with the JASPERLAKE 5105. The overall performance is significantly improved by more than 20%."

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
I got the model C V4 5105 a few weeks back and repasted and shaved down the standoffs. Running bare metal OPNSense and get around 40'C idle with low 60'Cs under load. Definitely not a bad little unit.
Is this still the case for you, idling at 40°C? I've also got one of those with N5105 and it's idling at about 59°C or so, but it takes a while (maybe 20-30 mins) to get there, I figure that's when the heatsink gets saturated. Ambient temp is not warm either, it's about 19-20°C right now. I've been monitoring it over several days. Not really having any issues, but it's curious how yours idles nearly 20°C less. The thermal testing I did with Windows 11 pointed to the cooler being adequate enough.

Do you happen to have a way to monitor power consumption at the plug? I'm at about 13-14W idling, also Opnsense. Pretty much the same as when I tested with Windows 11 (on Win only 1 NIC was active).

alexw1982

May 20, 2015
Germany
My Model A N6005 (--> for sale ;)) runs surprisingly cool. Did some stress testing and idle testing (around 30-32°C) and full load temperatures never exceeded 55°C with opnsense. I did do some minor modifications according the thread here but that is it. I guess that Model-A chassis does really make a major difference. Room temperature here around 17-18°C. So a little cooler but it should have that much of an impact ...

Power consumption at idle without optimizations was around 10-12W while optimized I got to around 7.1-8.7W.

Attachments

Reactions: Stovar and tusk9541