Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jan 17, 2023
FWIW, I reached out to CWWC via their contact form at the CWWC Store shop to inquire about N6005 boxes no longer being available and got this back:

Meaning, roughly, "Hello, N6005 is temporarily out of stock. It may be discontinued, and we will not know whether it will be discontinued until after February." according to Google Translate.

RIP. I really wanted one of their V5 N6005 boxes. ):
Long time lurker here. Been eyeing these boxes for a while. Now to figure out if I need to jump on one quick if they are on their way out, or wait and see what comes behind to replace them. The N100/200's didn't seem like they'd be a step up performance or power consumption wise from the current stuff.

Reactions: Stovar

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
FWIW, I reached out to CWWC via their contact form at the CWWC Store shop to inquire about N6005 boxes no longer being available and got this back:

Meaning, roughly, "Hello, N6005 is temporarily out of stock. It may be discontinued, and we will not know whether it will be discontinued until after February." according to Google Translate.

RIP. I really wanted one of their V5 N6005 boxes. ):
You may want to try the HUNSN model RJ03L with the N6005 and motherboard by CWWK V5. You can email them at sales@hunsn.com or via their Aliexpress store. I have the model mentioned and wrote two posts about it here:

Very quick to respond but given the Covid restrictions over there now, there may be a delay.

BobS

Last edited:
Reactions: rub1k

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
You may want to try the HUNSN model RJ03L with the N6005 and motherboard by CWWK V5. You can email them at sales@hunsn.com or via their Aliexpress store. I have the model mentioned and wrote two posts about it here:

Very quick to respond but given the Covid restrictions over there now, there may be a delay.
Thanks for the info (and very informative posts you got in your thread -- somehow I had completely missed it).

Definitely an option... the RJ03L N6005 looks to be ~$245 at the HUNSN Online Store, which isn't bad.

rj_connor

Dec 30, 2022
Pulled the trigger and went with your suggestion using KingNovy store, now it's a waiting game.
Order was placed on the 4th of Jan and it arrived on the 16th of Jan so 12 days to get to the UK (SE).

Tracking was really good, with updates all the way to the door.
Came packaged really well and no customs to pay.
It was the barebones version and once added storage and memory, opnsense was installed and temps are around 57c while doing nothing.
Going to see what settings can be changed to try and lower that.

All in all very happy with the service from KingNovy.

johnknierim

Aug 1, 2022
Good to hear. As I replied to johnknierim, the hardware seems not to be the issue for Topton et al. Rather the support if something is not ok. But again, if CWWK is better in that regard, I don't know and I hope I don't need to find out.

Best regards
jak4
I hear you, I have not had problems after the getting these units, so there is that. I hope I don't have any problems...

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
So better to not get that AX610 Wifi6 card and look for an mediatek wifi6 card you reckon?
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, avoid the intel ones. Yeah, they are over the place, but sucks this AP in 5ghz fiasco.

Actually there might be some non official patches, but not secure to work all the time.

Google the respective kernel bugs. "linux iwlwifi 5ghz ap mode lar"

I was recommended the mediatek ones. That one and MT7922 as well.

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
How do you guys typically run this with something like pfsense and opnsense, and a separate wireless AP? Do you put the wireless AP on another port and bridge that and the other LAN port which goes to the switch, so you have more control over wireless clients, or just put the AP on the switch?

howardkent

Jan 19, 2023
For what it's worth, I am running an N5105 variant, 16Gig memory, using Proxmox to host PFSense and OpenWRT.

• For PFSense I am running Suricata, pfBlocker and SquidGuard with HFSC traffic shaping
  • For OpenWRT I am running 6E via an AsiaRF AW7916-NPD connected with a Heayzoki Mini PCIE to M.2 (NGFF) Key M Adapter in the WiFi slot (using the bundled WiFi to M2 adapter).
I plan extend this to add a VPN LAN for my network to talk out on which the unit has ample enough power to handle.

alexw1982

May 20, 2015
Germany
In case anyone out of Germany (or the EU) is interested in a new n6005 topton Model-A with 4xi226 NICs and lite-on power brick (EU plug). I impulsively bought it but simply got no use for so much power and will stick to my APU2 :).
I am willing to part with it for 230€ incl. insured shipping via DHL to Germany. If you're interested send me a PM. Sorry for spamming here but I felt it was the best place ;-)

Cheers
Alex

Last edited:

TombaWaterHouse

Jan 2, 2023
Sweden
How do you guys typically run this with something like pfsense and opnsense, and a separate wireless AP? Do you put the wireless AP on another port and bridge that and the other LAN port which goes to the switch, so you have more control over wireless clients, or just put the AP on the switch?
I attach my AP to one of my router port directly. I don't have a Switch since the 4 ports from the N5105 that I have is enough to cover my home needs. And actually I only use 2 of the 4.
I use the first port for the WAN and the second for the LAN which is the AP connected. The AP have 4 more additional ports which I connect only one other device which is low in throughput and that's it. Mostly my entire house relies on the AP wireless if you know what I mean.

If I had way more devices or computers that requires cable access, I would consider doing a 2 tier network architecture.

EDIT: I am actually changing a bit how I implement stuff and made a small diagram on how I want things now:

1674138903022.png

Last edited:

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
N5105 with 6xintel i266 ordered from cwwk, support and communication was excellent via the live chat from the main website the conversation even gets auto emailed to your email account if you are logged into his cwwk site.

I did ask regarding the AX210NGW Wifi 6+BT module and he charges about £21 for it, but I said I will find my own after hearing the AP issues.

He threw in the back plate, 40mm fan for free with my order.

I believe the sata/hdd power/data cable and power supply comes with the unit already but will confirm when it arrives in a few weeks time, I just hope I get decent tracking information from the courier to UK.

Will update further once I get the goods.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
I attach my AP to one of my router port directly. I don't have a Switch since the 4 ports from the N5105 that I have is enough to cover my home needs. And actually I only use 2 of the 4.
I use the first port for the WAN and the second for the LAN which is the AP connected. The AP have 4 more additional ports which I connect only one other device which is low in throughput and that's it. Mostly my entire house relies on the AP wireless if you know what I mean.

If I had way more devices or computers that requires cable access, I would consider doing a 2 tier network architecture.

EDIT: I am actually changing a bit how I implement stuff and made a small diagram on how I want things now:

View attachment 26691
Pretty picture o_O Wish I could draw pretty like that !! ;) Quick question - you have OpenWRT or something else on that Asus access point for the VLANS?!? Looks like you are just using subnetting (which isn't really segregating the traffic) and not using VLANs . . .

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
How do you guys typically run this with something like pfsense and opnsense, and a separate wireless AP? D
So I'm running opnsense baremetal on the minipc right now. Pretty basic setup. First ethernet port is for WAN to my modem. Rest are bridged into one "LAN" group in opnsense.

One of the LAN ports goes into my small generic chinese 2.5g POE switch.

from the switch I have the POE ethernet going to my AP, which is a TP-link EAP670. That just runs... tp-link's AP software.

For what it's worth, I am running an N5105 variant, 16Gig memory, using Proxmox to host PFSense and OpenWRT.

why are you running pfsense and openwrt on the same box? Is the opnsense for wifi support?

Reactions: efahl and Stovar

xPakrikx

Jan 19, 2023
Any idea why VMs on my Topton unit (N6005) wont boot with 6.0 or 6.1 Proxmox kernel ? I can boot from iso to live system but i canot even format vhdd. Under 5.19 works just fine. :rolleyes:

TombaWaterHouse

Jan 2, 2023
Sweden
Pretty picture o_O Wish I could draw pretty like that !! ;) Quick question - you have OpenWRT or something else on that Asus access point for the VLANS?!? Looks like you are just using subnetting (which isn't really segregating the traffic) and not using VLANs . . .
Yeah, I will need to change the AP firmware to OpenWRT. Haven't done it yet.

Edit: I currently don't have those subnets yet, but one could probably do so via opnsense/pfsense in the N5105 if I am not mistaken?

anterus

Jan 19, 2023
Hi everyone! First post, still reading .. page 10 out of 115 :) What does everyone think of this model ? Does it have an upgrade able BIOS, and good thermal/physical parameters, or there is a better N5105 4x i226 unit to buy?

Many thanks!!!

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
My last experience with CWWK hasn't been the greatest:

On a N5105 with 4x i226 v5:
- constant IO delay between 0.7 and 1.5% for no apparent reason after a fresh install of Proxmox

On a N6005 with 4x i226 v5:
- bios does not support 32gb of RAM
- bios does not have the option for the 'smart fan function' (PWM)

Both units do NOT support the DMA identifier of the devices via IOMMU.

Support was useless, they offered a refund after shipping back the unit. By the way, they are NOT the manufacturer of the boards.

You buy cheap you get cheap I guess.

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
My last experience with CWWK hasn't been the greatest:

On a N5105 with 4x i226 v5:
- constant IO delay between 0.7 and 1.5% for no apparent reason after a fresh install of Proxmox

On a N6005 with 4x i226 v5:
- bios does not support 32gb of RAM
- bios does not have the option for the 'smart fan function' (PWM)

Both units do NOT support the DMA identifier of the devices via IOMMU.

Support was useless, they offered a refund after shipping back the unit. By the way, they are NOT the manufacturer of the boards.

You buy cheap you get cheap I guess.
That's why i'm waiting for David from Gowin to announce their new RS86 boxes. At least he replies on reddit and here as well. So, a bit more visibility. With aliexpress can be a hit and miss.

According to intel's ark, 6005 only goes to 16GB.

TombaWaterHouse

Jan 2, 2023
Sweden
That's why i'm waiting for David from Gowin to announce their new RS86 boxes. At least he replies on reddit and here as well. So, a bit more visibility. With aliexpress can be a hit and miss.

According to intel's ark, 6005 only goes to 16GB.
They are at a price where you can mount a more serious set up (with more TDP of course but still)