Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
There's now a single benchmark result in Passmark's database for the new Intel N100 CPU. It shouldn't be trusted too much ....<snip>

Still need to wait for a proper review, but this might not be the SKU to dethrone N5105.
Oh noooo :(
I wonder if the N5105 stock will receive a price discount on the way out anyway?

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
Looks like I've taken too long to make up my mind and order one of these puppies. Hah.

N6005 no longer being sold at the CWWC PC Store and it's gone up in price from ~$240 to $290 in the past 7-10 days at the O.G. CWWC Store.

Oh well, I guess I'll try waiting another week or so to see if they'll have any sales for Chinese New Year.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
There's now a single benchmark result in Passmark's database for the new Intel N100 CPU. It shouldn't be trusted too much, but it doesn't look as good as I hoped either. The single threaded score is on par with N5105 while the overall score is even behind N5100.
Passmark of 2800 (N100) is not good : PassMark - Intel N100 - Price performance comparison - the N5105 is rated with 4100, and especially in encryption (N100: 1600 MB/sec, N5105: 3100 MB/sec) and data compression the N100 is really weak. Let's wait for some more tests, but at the moment this thing is even beaten by a J4125 and all at least I hope is that they lower price of the N5105 while moving to the new cpu generation.

• Wow
Reactions: Stovar

bajo

Nov 2, 2022
hey everybody.
I ordered the AMD 5800U version some weeks ago and received it close to Christmas. Didn't find the time to do a lot with it yet, so now that I have a little time I got the following issue. Heat, too much of it to be exact. CPU fan spins up to 100% when running the heavy load of sudo apt update

I took everything apart and re-pasted it with a Noctua NT-H1 I still had lying around. Tried to make sure that there is no obvious gap between the cpu top and the heatsink. Started it up for about 1 minute, restarted and went back into the BIOS/UEFI. CPU temp after that little work is at about 73degree Celsius. Way too much in my opinion. If I change the fan settings to force 100% all the time and wait it manages to bring the temperature down to 62degree Celsius after about 10 minutes and it stays there. All while still only staying within the BIOS/UEFI. So I'm not really doing anything.

Any ideas what I can try to bring the temperature down properly?

ServeTheHummus

Jan 10, 2023
Passmark of 2800 (N100) is not good : PassMark - Intel N100 - Price performance comparison - the N5105 is rated with 4100, and especially in encryption (N100: 1600 MB/sec, N5105: 3100 MB/sec) and data compression the N100 is really weak. Let's wait for some more tests, but at the moment this thing is even beaten by a J4125 and all at least I hope is that they lower price of the N5105 while moving to the new cpu generation.
Since the results for some of the tests were higher than N5105, it makes me wonder if the CPU ran the first tests with aggressive boost clocks and then throttled down to base clock (or lower) for the last tests. Maybe it ran out of thermal or power budget.

It can also be just a bad run for any amount of reasons, but so far it looks like it won't be a miracle.

Reactions: efahl and Stovar

TombaWaterHouse

Jan 2, 2023
Sweden
I wonder if these are based on the base clock measurements or something? Results would be 68% but if using the base clock with 6W TDP, that would be a better performance/watt compared to the 10W base TDP of N5105 if you know what I mean.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Yes, better performance per Watt would be something nice. I think we need some more data, especially from a N100 based mini PC with two NICs and then also measure the power it draws.

Assumed the N100 achieves 50% of the computing power of a N5105, then I am unsure if a N100 at 50% CPU usage really draws less power than a N5105 running at 25% CPU usage, because the N5105 can stay at higher C-states for twice the time the N100 can. And on top having twice the CPU power on hand (if required) is also a nice feature.

Real example: I had an Asrock J1900 (10W TDP) as NAS which I had to replace with a J5040 (10W TDP) after the motherboard broke down. Installed the same OS, hard drives and services again with the result the new board draws less pwoer. Maybe 1-1.5W which is not a lot in total, but with a typical consumption of 5.5-6.5W we are talking about 13-18% less than before.

bajo

Nov 2, 2022
Sounds to me like the CPU is never using any power saving C- or P-states. Check the BIOS and OS for these settings.
I checked UEFI and the only setting I found was P-state that was set to pstate0. I have the option to select pstate0, pstate1, and pstate2.

The shown temperature is after about 1 minute in UEFI, and in the other image you can see that the CPU is running at 1.9GHz. So almost full speed. Not sure if that is a feature of the UEFI or not.
I only have proxmox installed and didn't figure out a way to properly monitor temperatures there. So I will get myself some recent live distro and try from there. Maybe I was just relying too much on the temperature readings in UEFI after I repasted.

Attachments

TombaWaterHouse

Jan 2, 2023
Sweden
I checked UEFI and the only setting I found was P-state that was set to pstate0. I have the option to select pstate0, pstate1, and pstate2.

The shown temperature is after about 1 minute in UEFI, and in the other image you can see that the CPU is running at 1.9GHz. So almost full speed. Not sure if that is a feature of the UEFI or not.
I only have proxmox installed and didn't figure out a way to properly monitor temperatures there. So I will get myself some recent live distro and try from there. Maybe I was just relying too much on the temperature readings in UEFI after I repasted.
Can you test switching to pstate1 or 2 ? Sounds like they could be options for lower voltage.

bajo

Nov 2, 2022
Can you test switching to pstate1 or 2 ? Sounds like they could be options for lower voltage.
I changed it to pstate2, installed Ubuntu 22.10 and ran stress from s-tui tool.
When I have 16 threads running at 100%, all cores as 3.3GHz I get the highest temperature of 72C. Fan is running at full speed and keep the temperature at that level.
After I stop stress the temperature drops below 52C within 20-30 seconds.

So it seems that within an OS everything is fine, in UEFI CPU temp is either wrong, or goes through the roof for some unknown reason.

Reactions: TombaWaterHouse

ghostface

Dec 11, 2022
Just want to confirm that for me with the N5105 I see the same in proxmox. Actually now that I take a closer look; on average it seems to be 3% but seems to jump between 1% and 6% constantly.

There is no major increase when putting load on the system. It is 3% average always.

I have been running the N5105 for 11 days now using the latest proxmox and Linux 6.1.0-1-pve kernel. No problems with any container (pfsense and some others).
I am on a very similar setup as you are (Intel Celeron N5105 machine with 4*Intel i226-V 2.5G NICs, proxmox, 6.1.0-1-pve kernel, pfsense 2.6.0) but somehow, I am facing slow network speeds on my pfsense vm (in use as my firewall):

- When I run iperf3 from a VM to Proxmox host, things are fast as expected (around 2.98 Gbits/sec)
- When I run iperf3 from a VM/Proxmox host/wired computer towards the internet, I constantly get 105 Mbits/sec (ISP supports 1 Gbit/s)
- When I run iperf3 from a wired computer to Proxmox host, I get around 941 Mbits/sec

For pfsense, I used virtIO bridges due to pci pass-through somehow is not working properly. Disable "Hardware Checksum Offloading" did not help.

Any suggestions?

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
Fixed my own issue, one of the guides had the following command
echo "options i915 enable_guc=2" > /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
I found another thread with someone suggesting to run this to see if guc is enabled, mine wasn't
dmesg | grep -iE "huc|guc|dmc"
I edited /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf and removed the quotations, rebooted and it's now functioning as expected, not really sure why but I'll take it as a win :D
Is it possible to have a sticky post with the good tips?

Reactions: TombaWaterHouse

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
I finally got mine with N5105, yesterday, 9 days before the estimtated delivery with standard AliExpress free shipping. I'm very happy with "CWWK PC Store" shipping process.

Only issue so far is I can't seem to get DisplayPort video out. HDMI works fine. Only took a brief look at the BIOS options but there's no obvious option to enable DP, if someone knows please let me know.

As you can see the case of this one is a bit different than most of the others. It's smaller and probably less effective as a heatsink. I bought my own Teamgroup 3200 MHz CL22 RAM and WD SN750 SSD. The RAM is a bit overkill but with some BF discounts it was actually cheaper than lower rated RAM. It's running at 2933 MHz CL22 right out of the box.

Installed Windows 11 first to do some tests, expecting to have to do some modifications for heat management, but it's actually just fine. I slammed all cores with Prime95 (Small FFT) fully expecting to immediately throttle, but in ~75°F (~24°C) ambient, it took its sweet time for HWInfo to raise the throttling flag (maybe like 15-20 min). Max temps were about 81°C during the first 15 min or so, and it slowly raised to 85-87°C, then stabilizing, with occasional peaks at about 90°C just a bit below which seems to be near the throttling temp.

Even then, the min CPU freq stayed at 2.4 GHz, and actually occasional peaks of 2.8 GHz in all 4 cores. This exceeded my expectations for what kind of cooling I could get out of this smaller case. I can only assume the bigger cases are better at cooling and if anyone has trouble with heat management and throttling, there is something wrong in the way the copper block and/or aluminum sink are connected.

Installing Win 11 tip:

I had to install the i-226V drivers manually which was easy. But this means I didn't have internet right away. Newer Win 11 versions make it hard even for the Pro version to install without internet, but not the Enterprise edition, which you can install and use it inactivated for a while (I assume you can also activate/downgrade to the version you own at a later time). This lets you install without internet and MS won't even bug you about signing in or install bloatware (which even Pro gets).

Instructions slightly modified from a very helpful Reddit comment:

1. Log into your computer as an administrator. The tool won’t run under a regular user account.

2. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT). Follow this link and click Download Tool Now button.

3. Launch Command Prompt (as admin).

4. Use the following command to change your path to the Downloads folder.

cd C:\Users\%username%\Downloads

5. Insert 16GB or larger USB drive. The MCT will reformat the drive.

6. Use the following command to launch the MCT and download Windows 10 Enterprise.

mediacreationtool.exe /Eula Accept /Retail /MediaLangCode en-us /MediaArch x64 /MediaEdition Enterprise

7. When prompted, use this generic Windows 10 Enterprise license to proceed with the download. You'll still need to enter a valid activation code after installing Windows 10.

NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43

8. Choose Create installation media for another PC, then USB flash drive.
The key is a volume license key that comes from Microsoft themselves: Key Management Services (KMS) client activation and product keys for Windows Server and Windows

Last edited:

ServeTheHummus

Jan 10, 2023
Installing Win 11 tip:

I had to install the i-226V drivers manually which was easy. But this means I didn't have internet right away. Newer Win 11 versions make it hard even for the Pro version to install without internet, but not the Enterprise edition, which you can install and use it inactivated for a while (I assume you can also activate/downgrade to the version you own at a later time).
Isn't it easier to plonk your phone in with USB and use USB tethering to get a connection for the installation? I haven't tried it with Win11 but it would be stupid if that didn't work.

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
Isn't it easier to plonk your phone in with USB and use USB tethering to get a connection for the installation? I haven't tried it with Win11 but it would be stupid if that didn't work.
Dunno, maybe it works but I've never wanted to sign in to MS to install Windows, much less just for testing. There are other benefits of installing Enterprise like it is bloat-free, but I don't know if finally activating it to your own key of Pro would install this bloatware (probably not but who knows). It was only for testing though, this one will be an Opnsense box ultimately, and it's handy for me to have a clean USB installer anyway.

Reactions: ServeTheHummus

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
I finally got mine with N5105, yesterday, 9 days before the estimtated delivery with standard AliExpress free shipping. I'm very happy with "CWWK PC Store" shipping process.

Only issue so far is I can't seem to get DisplayPort video out. HDMI works fine. Only took a brief look at the BIOS options but there's no obvious option to enable DP, if someone knows please let me know.

As you can see the case of this one is a bit different than most of the others. It's smaller and probably less effective as a heatsink. I bought my own Teamgroup 3200 MHz CL22 RAM and WD SN750 SSD. The RAM is a bit overkill but with some BF discounts it was actually cheaper than lower rated RAM. It's running at 2933 MHz CL21 right out of the box.

Installed Windows 11 first to do some tests, expecting to have to do some modifications for heat management, but it's actually just fine. I slammed all cores with Prime95 (Small FFT) fully expecting to immediately throttle, but in ~75°F (~24°C) ambient, it took its sweet time for HWInfo to raise the throttling flag (maybe like 15-20 min). Max temps were about 81°C during the first 15 min or so, and it slowly raised to 85-87°C, then stabilizing, with occasional peaks at about 90°C just a bit below which seems to be near the throttling temp.

Even then, the min CPU freq stayed at 2.4 GHz, and actually occasional peaks of 2.8 GHz in all 4 cores. This exceeded my expectations for what kind of cooling I could get out of this smaller case. I can only assume the bigger cases are better at cooling and if anyone has trouble with heat management and throttling, there is something wrong in the way the copper block and/or aluminum sink are connected.

Installing Win 11 tip:

I had to install the i-226V drivers manually which was easy. But this means I didn't have internet right away. Newer Win 11 versions make it hard even for the Pro version to install without internet, but not the Enterprise edition, which you can install and use it inactivated for a while (I assume you can also activate/downgrade to the version you own at a later time). This lets you install without internet and MS won't even bug you about signing in or install bloatware (which even Pro gets).

Instructions slightly modified from a very helpful Reddit comment:

The key is a volume license key that comes from Microsoft themselves: Key Management Services (KMS) client activation and product keys for Windows Server and Windows

I'm thinking about getting one of these, but with n5100. I see there is support for a 40x40 fan. Did yours came with a fan? I'm guessing a small fan should lower the higher temps by at least 5º-10ºC, no? What's the size of your ram? I got a orphan 16GB stick (team group zeus as well), ready to find a new slot.

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
I'm thinking about getting one of these, but with n5100. I see there is support for a 40x40 fan. Did yours came with a fan? I'm guessing a small fan should lower the higher temps by at least 5º-10ºC, no? What's the size of your ram? I got a orphan 16GB stick (team group zeus as well), ready to find a new slot.
I bought the one linked directly, one 8 GB stick of those. The appliance didn't come with a fan, and I was always planning to run it fanless, it's one of the main requirements for me. I have no issue with the temps though, and since the throttling seems to come after a long time of slamming the CPU, I suppose the bottleneck is in the size of the heatsink itself, rather than the copper block or TIM. But running Prime95 for 20+ minutes is a completely unrealistic scenario for real-world usage, especially if I'm just gonna run Opnsense on it.

Last edited:

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
After some more testing, this 5105 box is not really great for Windows 11, I guess it would work for basic stuff and it's snappy cause of the SSD, but just running speedtest.net on Edge or Firefox completely overwhelms the 4 cores, and the download speed only gets up to 700 MB/s or so, which normally is 940 MB/s, and the UI becomes a stuttery mess. According to HWInfo the temps are still good, and the 4 cores are turboed to 2.8GHz so I'm pretty sure it's not throttling here.

Running iperf3 through a 2.5Gb switch does give me 2.37 Gb/s up and down, and the CPU is not completely pegged, though it still has very high usage.

Idle wattage is about 12-13W according to my TP-Link Kasa smart outlet.

Last edited:

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
After some more testing, this 5105 box is not really great for Windows 11
A speedtest from a webpage is definitely not a benchmark. Even an 8th gen Core i5 would suffer.
Do a speedtest from CLI and enjoy the difference.
I personally run Win11 on a 4th gen i5 laptop, and while not snappy like a more modern cpu/system, it definitely fits office needs. The N5105 is way faster than that.