Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bloodyskullz

Nov 7, 2022
Check this post, mentioned that you could very well get anything ( Topton, KingNovy, HUNSN, Hero, etc ) and others including STH youtube reviews mentioned aliexpress sent them an upgraded or different model to the one they ordered or wanted.

Also its a risk, if its faulty, wrong unit or you want support it sounds like you maybe better off speaking to a brick wall.

Few mentioned cwwk tends to be better in build quality, reliability and you should get what you order but again nothing is 100%.

I do not know about the bios info, but from sounds of things they have added more bios options or left more tweaking head room so its good. For example I have a N6005 mini Acer pc which by comparison has nothing in the bios, I don't even have power options so I do not recommended going that route if you are looking for a router or promox vm.
I was looking at this option because it's a 6port variant but again BIOS updates and the chip have me a little worried. I am also not even sure which revision that is and I don't know how to tell yet. I plan on using it for opnsense so it should be fine BUT i know a lower TDP with a chassis like that will always be better. Usually routers don't do lots of processing so I think it will be fine.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Yeah, that is a big difference in price.
Amazon always has elevated prices compared to ordering directly from Asia - that usually covers the customs or import taxes and sometimes the uplift on FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) costs - The only advantage (if you may call it that) is you have Amazon customer service in-between if something goes wrong . . . YMMV :rolleyes:

Reactions: Stovar

rj_connor

Dec 30, 2022
Amazon always has elevated prices compared to ordering directly from Asia - that usually covers the customs or import taxes and sometimes the uplift on FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) costs - The only advantage (if you may call it that) is you have Amazon customer service in-between if something goes wrong . . . YMMV :rolleyes:
Pulled the trigger and went with your suggestion using KingNovy store, now it's a waiting game.

Reactions: Stovar and rfox

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
I was looking at this option because it's a 6port variant but again BIOS updates and the chip have me a little worried. I am also not even sure which revision that is and I don't know how to tell yet. I plan on using it for opnsense so it should be fine BUT i know a lower TDP with a chassis like that will always be better. Usually routers don't do lots of processing so I think it will be fine.
yeah 5 ports version sounds better, sure the bios updates or revisions do sound a bit hit and miss though but id settle for anything that works really. The J4105 and J4125 should be ok but few others mentioned if you plan on doing 1gig up/download and VPN on top it and other stuff like VMs it may struggle the Celeron N5105 is more recommend overall for both performance, heat and watts consumed since it appears to do everything well. I believe sth reviews said the N605 consumes a bit more power and heat but is more capable of these cpus.

This one looks popular right now I am tempted to order it already since its from cwwk so will have an better build quality.

But I don't think I can get that one since I need 5-6 ethernet ports really.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
cwwk did get back to me, was surprised support and communication was there and very fast both via email and web chat on cwwk website.
Yes, CWWK appears to be both the motherboard designer and the aliexpress seller with the best service. Not always the best price, but the most useful answers to others on this thread.

Reactions: DomFel and Stovar

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
See my answers in this thread. This is not a cWWk unit, different board layout. In short, it's working good after i added a 0.3mm cooper shim and if you can live with the limitations (mSATA instead of NVME, 1 RAM Slot). Shipping at least to my place is quite expensive, about 40 US $.

ModestMike

Dec 9, 2022
Greetings. Apologizes in advance, I am currently on about page 43 of this thread and am going to continue through, but wanted to jump the queue a little and ask if there is a roundup of the best BIOS settings or what should be changed, if anything, for one of the N5105 - i226v "New" 4 port version? I believe the mobo revision is 3.0 and if I recall, BIOS was from 08/2022.

I am running PF Sense directly installed. No proxmox as I didn't really need this to be anything other than a FW.

I did a few things like lap and polish the copper slug as well as nic heatsink, I also ended up sanding the black coating away on the chassis and polished that part and applied some new TIM and pads. I'm seeing idle-ish temps around 45c and am going to do one more inspection and MB post sanding, if needed, once I get some new paste in. The stuff I used was decent, but kind of old and I didn't really like the consistency.

Anyway, thank you all for posting, and thanks STH crew for the awesome site and content! On to page 44 ;)

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
Greetings. Apologizes in advance, I am currently on about page 43 of this thread and am going to continue through, but wanted to jump the queue a little and ask if there is a roundup of the best BIOS settings or what should be changed, if anything, for one of the N5105 - i226v "New" 4 port version? I believe the mobo revision is 3.0 and if I recall, BIOS was from 08/2022.

I am running PF Sense directly installed. No proxmox as I didn't really need this to be anything other than a FW.

I did a few things like lap and polish the copper slug as well as nic heatsink, I also ended up sanding the black coating away on the chassis and polished that part and applied some new TIM and pads. I'm seeing idle-ish temps around 45c and am going to do one more inspection and MB post sanding, if needed, once I get some new paste in. The stuff I used was decent, but kind of old and I didn't really like the consistency.

Anyway, thank you all for posting, and thanks STH crew for the awesome site and content! On to page 44 ;)
This post by @T.Sharp on page 103 or thereabouts is one of the ones I had bookmarked as I read through the whole thread a couple weeks back. :p

Reactions: ModestMike

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
Intel just released the successors to these Celeron CPUs, now renamed just "Intel Processor", and i3 or Atom on the high and lower ends. Hopefully we see these units get updated. The direct successors of N5105 and 6005 appear to be the N100 and N200 and they now have a 6W TDP. They don't support dual-channel RAM anymore, but they support DDR5 and LPDDR5 at higher frequencies.

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
Interesting if the heat could be handels by a passive cooled system at 3,6Ghz ? For the new CPU’s?

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
I think if they had a case with a thinner copper block and heatpipe, or perhaps a direct contact thick heatpipe that could spread the heat quicker over the large aluminum heatsink, it could be passively cooled for extended high CPU usage. Dunno how much it would add to the cost, but it can't be more than $20 or so. I'm planning on experimenting on that when I get my N5105 unit soon.

Here's a nice visualization on how much faster a heatpipe works than just copper. Everyone knows it's faster, but it's so much faster than I expected:

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Intel just released the successors to these Celeron CPUs, now renamed just "Intel Processor", and i3 or Atom on the high and lower ends. Hopefully we see these units get updated. The direct successors of N5105 and 6005 appear to be the N100 and N200 and they now have a 6W TDP. They don't support dual-channel RAM anymore, but they support DDR5 and LPDDR5 at higher frequencies.

Looks interesting, but I suspect we will have to wait at least a year before these chips are on offer from Asia - if you look at all the devices on offer right now - the latest CPU they have is J6413 and that is from 2021 . . . :oops:

Reactions: efahl and Stovar

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
These alder lake series look very impressive at first glance, but 8 cores with 7 watts and 3.8ghz for the i3-N300.....that sounds like it might ramp up to 60 watts!

Also can't see the normal base cpu speeds for some of them either so it might be a case of low mhz like 750 or 1ghz base speeds, some more info here and here.

Still its nice to see 6, 7 watt and 15watt versions, AV1 support, hdmi 2.1 support and improvements across the board but yeah will be a long while till we see them on the market.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
I had bookmarked as I read through the whole thread a couple weeks back. :p
One should be awarded with a medal if they can read 100+ pages:p, I done 30 pages yesterday but I did fast read many post but I can see what a nightmare people had back in June, people wedging copper shims between the heatsink and case due to no contact :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: rub1k

tusk9541

Nov 23, 2022
These alder lake series look very impressive at first glance, but 8 cores with 7 watts and 3.8ghz for the i3-N300.....that sounds like it might ramp up to 60 watts!

Also can't see the normal base cpu speeds for some of them either so it might be a case of low mhz like 750 or 1ghz base speeds, some more info here and here.

Still its nice to see 6, 7 watt and 15watt versions, AV1 support, hdmi 2.1 support and improvements across the board but yeah will be a long while till we see them on the market.
Anandtech says the 7 W is the "turbo" TDP but that doesn't seem right.

HDMI 2.1 is likely HDMI 2.0b in reality, the HDMI LA lets manufacturers advertise HDMI 2.1 even if there is no actual HDMI 2.1 feature like FRL (the main one). You can see it from the max pixel dimensions and refresh rate from the spec sheet.

Reactions: whocarez and Stovar

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
One should be awarded with a medal if they can read 100+ pages:p, I done 30 pages yesterday but I did fast read many post but I can see what a nightmare people had back in June, people wedging copper shims between the heatsink and case due to no contact :eek:
Haha! It did take me many evenings of going back to the same browser tab when time permitted but I enjoyed reading through everything -- starting out with the engineering sample units shipped early (and nightmare "support"/attempt to return/refund) and moving on to the overheating issues and nice people sharing cooling solutions and BIOS tweaks, etc.

My goal is to buy one of these things to set up OPNsense to re-do my home networking. I should probably place an order here soon.. :p

rub1k

Dec 13, 2022
For those who have the CWWK V4+ (I think), with the cooling holes on the bottom, have you found a 80x80x10 fan that is quiet and works well that you could recommend, please?

The listings (such as this one from the CWWK PC Store) reference using a "8010 fan" and I know there's been posts in this thread talking about fan headers/pins but any specific fans? Does Noctua even make a 80x80x10 fan? Didn't think so but off to Googling I go...

EDIT: IIRC, a few of you used 40x40x10 fans, right?

Last edited: