Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DanielL

Nov 3, 2022
I have a feeling i was screwed out of 163 dollars I bought through topton as that the link that was primarily in the early pages of this thread. from payment they took 11 days to say they shipped it as in the clock was down to 2 hours before I was to get an auto refund I have a tracking number but i have a feeling that nothing has shipped just that they paid for shipping. and generated a label
Same behaviour for me: they provided only a tracking number the last day before auto-refund
but I do not believe it has been shipped yet :rolleyes:

no progress on shipment tracking detail (order placed Nov. 2nd)
Estimated delivery displayed on aliexpress site : 2023, Jan 9th

randm

Oct 26, 2022
Yes, Topton pulled the same tricks on me. I suspect their stock ran dry early-mid October, but they kept accepting orders with rosy shipping estimates (which I paid extra for). 1 hour before the refund window closed they marked it as shipped with a fake tracking number. Customer service deflected a lot to stall ("we're pressuring the courier", "sorry, lots of COVID right now") so I ended up just disputing the charge and moving on. Don't think I'd do business with them again.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Yes, Topton pulled the same tricks on me. I suspect their stock ran dry early-mid October, but they kept accepting orders with rosy shipping estimates (which I paid extra for). 1 hour before the refund window closed they marked it as shipped with a fake tracking number. Customer service deflected a lot to stall ("we're pressuring the courier", "sorry, lots of COVID right now") so I ended up just disputing the charge and moving on. Don't think I'd do business with them again.
Something's fishy in Denm . . . I mean China! :eek: I ordered on the 9th from KingNovy 3C a Ryzen 5800U unit - Not shipped yet and they respond only with "be patient Dear" :rolleyes: Yesterday, I ordered the X86 P2 device (in Green!) from Loksing - and it has aparently shipped already ?!? o_O Talk about hit or miss! I might just cancel my other order and try again with Loksing - they appear to be much more responsive and reliable! Time will tell . . .

Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-17 um 08.37.25.png

Reactions: Heyaiiiiii

ddutch206

Nov 10, 2022
So I located the 3 pin fan connector on back of the J6413 board but it is absolutely not a standard 3 pin CPU fan connector. I've searched high and low in Europe to find a fan connector (I'm not scared to splicing the current fan). Anyone know what type of plug or connector this is?

Update: I think I located it -> https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Connectors-Pieces-Connector-Electrical-Female/dp/B07T587J8K/. I measured the pin pitch multiple times and it looks to be a tad bit more than 1mm, so 1.25mm is hopefully what I need. No idea what I am going to do with the other 19 cables though :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
So I located the 3 pin fan connector on back of the J6413 board but it is absolutely not a standard 3 pin CPU fan connector. I've searched high and low in Europe to find a fan connector (I'm not scared to splicing the current fan). Anyone know what type of plug or connector this is?

Update: I think I located it -> https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Connectors-Pieces-Connector-Electrical-Female/dp/B07T587J8K/. I measured the pin pitch multiple times and it looks to be a tad bit more than 1mm, so 1.25mm is hopefully what I need. No idea what I am going to do with the other 19 cables though :)
Been there. Made the made same mistake initially.

It's not a JST GH-series (1.25mm) connector, though you have the pitch correct. That's a 3-pin right angle Molex PicoBlade connector. It's probably a knock off as the metal ears on the ends look to be curled up differently and from the opposite side as the authentic version shown in the link.

Unless you have microscopic hands, you're definitely on the right path buying some prewired connectors. This is what I ended up buying just for the 4-pin version on my board. I'd mail you the 3-pin connector, but presuming you're in Germany from the amazon.de link, it'd probably take longer to get there than you can it locally.

Apparently PicoBlade connectors are often found with radio controlled cars, drones, etc. I don't know if it's the same in Europe or Germany, but if you have one in the area you might check there.

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
Anyone with a board using Intel I226-V chips found a stable driver that works with Windows Server 2019? I thought I had it working and stable forcing it to use the latest Intel drivers for the i226-IT variant. But all of the sudden the last several days, there's random disconnects every 20-90 seconds or so.

I only seem to have issues though at gigabit speeds. Forcing the port to 100mbit runs stable, albeit slower. It also seems to happen much more frequently when the port is configured for use both with the host and a VM through a Hyper-V virtual switch.

Teach me for presuming an Intel NIC would be supported under a server OS without checking.

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
Anyone with a board using Intel I226-V chips found a stable driver that works with Windows Server 2019? I thought I had it working and stable forcing it to use the latest Intel drivers for the i226-IT variant. But all of the sudden the last several days, there's random disconnects every 20-90 seconds or so.

I only seem to have issues though at gigabit speeds. Forcing the port to 100mbit runs stable, albeit slower. It also seems to happen much more frequently when the port is configured for use both with the host and a VM through a Hyper-V virtual switch.

Teach me for presuming an Intel NIC would be supported under a server OS without checking.
I answered this question on the last page.
Use drivers for the i226-LM (i226v server version)

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
I answered this question on the last page.
Use drivers for the i226-LM (i226v server version)
Thanks. I had missed it. You had mentioned Server 2022 which is why I missed it or skipped over it previously. Apparently there were some architectural changes as 2022 drivers won't install under 2019. No idea how operationally similar they are.

Still switching though from i226-IT to i226-LM, I still experience the same issue with about the same frequency. Event Id 27 usually (but not always) along with an Event Id 22.

Event Id 27: "The description for Event ID 27 from source e2fexpress cannot be found..." (more in screen shot)
Event Id 22: "Media disconnected on NIC /DEVICE/{<GUID>} (Friendly Name: Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-LM #x)."

Switching physical ports causes the problem to usually follow the port. Current port configuration is:
Port 0 - Exclusively Windows Server Hypervisor interface
Port 1 - Not used
Port 2 - LAN interface for VMs including OpnSense plus a few other very low traffic VMs
Port 3 - OpnSense WAN port to fiber ONT.

The screen shot is for the one recent error that corresponds to physical port 0. Every other Event Id 27 pertains to Port 2. When things previously using Port 1, or sharing Port 0 with the hypervisor, it'd usually show on that port.

I've also tried multiple different cables, both commercially manufactured CAT6 from different brands, as well as some hand crimped Cat5e patch cables that I've never had issues with. No change swapping between three different gigabit switches that also have previously been issue free.

Attachments

gandsr

Nov 17, 2022
I received my Topton N5105 version 4 today. I ordered it October 21. I got the shipped email two hours before the Aliexpress deadline as many others appear to have. It shipped six days later. To be fair the date Topton said I would receive my shipment was Nov 19 so it arrived two days early. Just wish they would be a little more upfront with shipping information.
My unit also came with a copper shim between the cpu and the heat sink. So this may indeed be their fix for the gap issue. I will try it with the shim first.
I do have a question about the fan header. Is it a molex picoblade on this board as well?

johnknierim

Aug 1, 2022
Ryzen 7 in the case, right? Ryzen 9 doesn't exist for any appliances.
Windows Server 2022 you must install the driver for i226-LM, this way it will work correctly.
There are no i226v drivers for Windows Server.
You can adapt these instructions for Server 2022 and i226-LM

cdru

Oct 27, 2018
I do have a question about the fan header. Is it a molex picoblade on this board as well?
Does one side of the connector have one or two slots that end in a square opening? Similar to the top left and bottom right connector in the attached image.

If so, I believe those are only used with the Molex PicoBlade connectors for it's latches. The JST GH series appears to use a lever-style latching mechanism.

Attachments

Last edited:

Blarvar

Aug 15, 2022
Sharing my Topton (Topton PC store) buying experience: Ordered the V4 i226 on Aug 10 and received it on Aug 28. Two days later, it promptly broke down and wouldn't post, only beep an error code. After a bit back and forth, they asked me to return the unit. Some negotiation later, they actually Paypaled me the postage up front, and I sent it back to them with Parcel Monkey, which totalled about $40.
At this point I was convinced I would never hear from them again, but about a week ago, two months after I sent it, the package was delivered to Guangdong. I pinged their support and today they refunded me $173 out of the $204 I payed. Fees and taxes have been deducted, and I guess some currency fluctuations, but all in all I'm very pleasantly surprised.

mephisto

Nov 6, 2013
London
Ryzen 7 in the case, right? Ryzen 9 doesn't exist for any appliances.
Windows Server 2022 you must install the driver for i226-LM, this way it will work correctly.
There are no i226v drivers for Windows Server.
Sorry, Ryzen 7 indeed. I used the i226-LM, all good. I tested Windows 11, it installed i226-v drivers. W2022 wunning with opnsense as a VM at the moment. My latency has increased 1ms compared to a Unifi USG. I'll try OPNsense running bare metal to see if there is any difference in latency.

mephisto

Nov 6, 2013
London
Thanks. I had missed it. You had mentioned Server 2022 which is why I missed it or skipped over it previously. Apparently there were some architectural changes as 2022 drivers won't install under 2019. No idea how operationally similar they are.

Still switching though from i226-IT to i226-LM, I still experience the same issue with about the same frequency. Event Id 27 usually (but not always) along with an Event Id 22.

Event Id 27: "The description for Event ID 27 from source e2fexpress cannot be found..." (more in screen shot)
Event Id 22: "Media disconnected on NIC /DEVICE/{<GUID>} (Friendly Name: Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-LM #x)."

Switching physical ports causes the problem to usually follow the port. Current port configuration is:
Port 0 - Exclusively Windows Server Hypervisor interface
Port 1 - Not used
Port 2 - LAN interface for VMs including OpnSense plus a few other very low traffic VMs
Port 3 - OpnSense WAN port to fiber ONT.

The screen shot is for the one recent error that corresponds to physical port 0. Every other Event Id 27 pertains to Port 2. When things previously using Port 1, or sharing Port 0 with the hypervisor, it'd usually show on that port.

I've also tried multiple different cables, both commercially manufactured CAT6 from different brands, as well as some hand crimped Cat5e patch cables that I've never had issues with. No change swapping between three different gigabit switches that also have previously been issue free.
I have not tried 2019, try 2022 instead perhaps as I'm using it already for a few days.

I suggest you download the latest driver pack from https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...el-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html and use the driver in the PRO2500 folder, there are drivers for W11 and W2022, for W11 it will install the i226v drivers just fine, for W2022 I had to use the i226-LM, it worked fine, so far.

I have my W2022 running opnsense which connects to a fibre line 1000 down 110 up mbit, so far so good. The onyl thing I noticed was a 1ms increase compared to Unifi USG firewall I had in place before, but maybe this is the overhead of running opnsense as a VM. I may try later barebone to see if there is any difference.

Reactions: chjah

mephisto

Nov 6, 2013
London
My purchasing experience using CWWK store on Aliexpress:
  • ordered on 3rd of November
  • delivered on 15th of November in the UK
  • No VAT/TAX so far, I think they have some chartered flight, it arrived to me from a courier company called Evri (former Myhermes, aka Myherpes). may I'll receive a VAT bill and import duties in a few weeks, maybe not.
  • Unit runs just fine, AMD Ryzen 7 5800U with 8 cores, goes to 2.1ghz all cores in prime95, I'll test temperatures later
  • It has an active blower fan, like on a GPU
  • power supply seems to be quite beefy, will post more specs later
  • It came with a SATA adapter as it uses a different connector on the MB
  • Running Windows 2022 and Hyper-V, OPNsense as a guest, later to have home assistant and other VMs
  • It is made by ChangWang, model CW-56-58 AMD 高性能软路由

Last edited:

sndp

Nov 14, 2022
Something's fishy in Denm . . . I mean China! :eek: I ordered on the 9th from KingNovy 3C a Ryzen 5800U unit - Not shipped yet and they respond only with "be patient Dear" :rolleyes: Yesterday, I ordered the X86 P2 device (in Green!) from Loksing - and it has aparently shipped already ?!? o_O Talk about hit or miss! I might just cancel my other order and try again with Loksing - they appear to be much more responsive and reliable! Time will tell . . .

View attachment 25471
yep Loksing seem to be the best for me, my package has already left China and is on the way to the UK. I’m estimating it in 6 days whereas I would’ve been waiting another 6 weeks for Topton.

Reactions: rfox

sndp

Nov 14, 2022
My purchasing experience using CWWK store on Aliexpress:
  • ordered on 3rd of November
  • delivered on 15th of November in the UK
  • No VAT/TAX so far, I think they have some chartered flight, it arrived to me from a courier company called Evri (former Myhermes, aka Myherpes). may I'll receive a VAT bill and import duties in a few weeks, maybe not.
  • Unit runs just fine, AMD Ryzen 7 5800U with 8 cores, goes to 4.2ghz all cores in prime95, I'll test temperatures later
  • It has an active blower fan, like on a GPU
  • power supply seems to be quite beefy, will post more specs later
  • It came with a SATA adapter as it uses a different connector on the MB
  • Running Windows 2022 and Hyper-V, OPNsense as a guest, later to have home assistant and other VMs
  • It is made by ChangWang, model CW-56-58 AMD 高性能软路由
mine’s coming through Evri as well - so far I’m on the “Shipment on the way, last mile number XYZ” tracking stage.

mephisto

Nov 6, 2013
London
My 5800U boosts to 4.2 ghz at time, but in Prime95 it has not clocked more than 2.2ghz all core. I think there is a power limit on the bios, the cpu TDP is stated as 15W, and in HWinfo, I'm getting exactly 15W @2.2ghz all core. Temps are around 60c.

I need to check if I can get all core clocks a bit higher if there is a way to allow the cpu to draw more power.