Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Did yours have my problem where if you screw the 2.5 into the backplate then there's not enough room to plug the cable? If not which chassis style do you have?
I space the bottom plate away from the case with screw-in motherboard stand-offs as I use a 15mm 2.5" drive.
I have posted photos in the past but god knows where they are in a thread this long. We really should have a forum-based Wiki page for these software-routers.

edit - Here you go;

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Oh yeah. Post 657 was your original one. Pretty epic creativity. I will try that if my electrical tape doesn't hold

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
the ones with V4 ....

what is your sustained cpu freq and package power during boost ? .... does anyones pull 2.79 - 2.8ghz with less then 20w ?

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Quick feedback concerning something different, because it is not one of those Ali boxes:

Asrock J5040 ITX board (with 4x SATA connectors), Crucial CT16G4SFRA266 16 GB SO-Dimm, Evo 840 250GB ssd and a 10gtek dual port ethernet card (E1G42T, Intel 82576 chipset) plugged into PCIe, Pico PSU attached to a Leicke 75W/12V PSU, running opnsense 27.7 (default installation, only SSH activated for tests). In the BIOS all unneeded hardware was disabled (sound card, on board NIC, serial port) and all standard power saving options enabled. Power consumption measured with a Voltcraft 4000pro

9-10W idle with a hdmi monitor and keyboard plugged in, no ethernet connection
6-7W without keyboard and monitor, no ethernet connection
7-8W without keyboard and monitor, single ethernet connection

Temperature: 34°C idle across all 4 cores.

If someone wants to build a system which requires more drives (e.g. proxmox running opnsense in a vm), this might be an option. The J5040 has a passmark of 3450 (N5105: 4085) and is slightly less powerfull than a N5105, but on the other side you get a rock stable board (my Asrock J1900 seemed to have died last weekend after running for 10 years), and thermal problems aren't relevant. Just put it in a case suitable for a mini itx board and you are good. This system also is perfect for building a NAS. Either stick to the 4 SATA ports or add 6 more by plugging in a sata card.

Interesting: I enabled the C-States, the cpu immediately went into C3 all the time but I didn't notice any power consumption reduction.

Recommendation: someone mentioned that most PSUs have a much lower efficiency when running with less than 10W power consumption (range of 70% instead of 85-87%), so it might be worth to attach more than one computer to the same PSU.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
that shim factory installed is interesting. maybe it's how they're 'fixing' the problem in quality control? It might be better than no shim at all, but kinda weird.

the ones with V4 ....
what is your sustained cpu freq and package power during boost ? .... does anyones pull 2.79 - 2.8ghz with less then 20w ?
from when I was running windows and testing with prime95/small, and looking at hwinfo:

During (short) PL2, the CPU itself was pulling 19W, and running about 2.5ghz all cores
then during sustained PL1, the CPU was pulling 15W. and running about 2.2ghz all cores
I did a quick test of prime95 on one core, and I think I got it up to 2850mhz. Took 18W for the CPU.

at the wall, a 19W CPU load translated to 23W at the wall on my test system (one NIC plugged in, 2.5" SATA SSD, two DIMMS).

Reactions: Stovar

DanielL

Nov 3, 2022
Asrock J5040 ITX board
It is a good board (I have one), but the limitation is its PCIe 2.0 x1 which mean 500GB/s
also the Pentium J5040 has a total of 6 PCI lanes 2.0

The N5105 has 8 PCI lanes 3.0 (800GB/s per lanes)

The N5105/N6005 is a better choice for NAS and 4x2.5Gb/s router

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar

lukasig

Oct 31, 2022
It is a good board (I have one), but the limitation is its PCIe 2.0 x1 which mean 500GB/s
Could PCIe be the limitation on my NVMe? Testing the Samsung 970 EVO plus installed on my N5100 system I get about half the speed I get if the same ssd is tested inside my laptop.

N5100 mini PC:
Screenshot 2022-11-13 185821.png

My laptop:
Sams970evo.PNG

Or is it something from the BIOS settings?

kboxvegas

Feb 12, 2016
Could PCIe be the limitation on my NVMe? Testing the Samsung 970 EVO plus installed on my N5100 system I get about half the speed I get if the same ssd is tested inside my laptop.

Or is it something from the BIOS settings?
Yep, these ports on the N5105's are only good for a theoretical 1969MB/s being PCIe 3.0 x2

Reactions: lukasig

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
also the Pentium J5040 has a total of 6 PCI lanes 2.0

The N5105 has 8 PCI lanes 3.0 (800GB/s per lanes)

The N5105/N6005 is a better choice for NAS and 4x2.5Gb/s router
I prefer less total speed compared to a N5105 in exchange for having 4 SATA ports on board and the possibility to expand the whole thing to 10 SATA drives using a 6x SATA HDD PCIe card and build a low power NAS with tons of space for data storage. I don't care if internally files are saved at 500 GB/sec or 800 GB/sec as long as the system can push 100 MB/sec over ethernet, and because any internal calculations (log file generation) don't require a lot of speed, the max pcie speed is not relevant here.

I have/had a much older Asrock Q1900 mini itx (J1900 CPU) which had zero problems to act as samba fileserver for backups and serving media files at home on a gigabit ethernet, run several docker images and iobroker while consuming 6-10w total and still being idle for 95% of the time. I only had to replace it because of a hardware error, and the quick test I ran with the new board and a dual NIC card with Intel chipset was done to see if I also could use the combo as firewall without wasting too much energy on the NIC card I had to plug in to get 2x Intel based gigabit adapters and avoid the realtek on board one.

I also have J3455 board, equipped with a 6x Sata card and a 10 GBit NIC. Again, looking at the PCIe speed and cpu power a N5105 box would be much faster, but the J3455 is installed in a server tower, offers around 40 TB space for backups and is able to save files at 500 MB/sec over the 10 gbit adapter, which is much faster than the normal data exchange from hdd to hdd while running beackpus. Here the hdds are the bottleneck and again not the PCIe bus.

So in all cases the N5105 is in theory the better choice when looking at some parameters, but a fail when looking at other relevant features of a NAS. I also doubt the PCIe bus (500 GB/sec) becomes the bottle neck while filtering the data coming in on 2x 2.5Gbit NIC adapters. Even at max spped 5 GBit/sec data are 500 MB/sec or about 0.1% of what the slow J5040 can transfer over the PCIe bus.

It is also the main reason why I don't see the need for upgrading of my J3160 based firewall running opnsense at the moment, which for sure has even less speed on the PCIe bus than a N5105. The box is capable of filtering 200 mbit/sec in both directions and does it's job.

Maybe I give proxmox another try and use the J5040 to run opnsense virtual and not bare metal, in parallel to the file server I really need. Then I could drop the J3160, save some more energy and use the J3160 as backup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar and DanielL

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
that shim factory installed is interesting. maybe it's how they're 'fixing' the problem in quality control? It might be better than no shim at all, but kinda weird.

from when I was running windows and testing with prime95/small, and looking at hwinfo:

During (short) PL2, the CPU itself was pulling 19W, and running about 2.5ghz all cores
then during sustained PL1, the CPU was pulling 15W. and running about 2.2ghz all cores
I did a quick test of prime95 on one core, and I think I got it up to 2850mhz. Took 18W for the CPU.

at the wall, a 19W CPU load translated to 23W at the wall on my test system (one NIC plugged in, 2.5" SATA SSD, two DIMMS).
ok ... please report to CW this issue .... is drawing way to much power for what clocks we get .... is a bios issue.

CW support told me that they are focused on V5 now .... but i think if enough users of V3/V4 push this they will take a better look on the bios.

in V1/V2 the N5105 is pulling 15w for full 2.7-2.8Ghz freq ....
1668503618784.png

lets push this with support

Reactions: Stovar and sqrwv

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
I prefer less total speed compared to a N5105 in exchange for having 4 SATA ports on board and the possibility to expand the whole thing to 10 SATA drives using a 6x SATA HDD PCIe card and build a low power NAS with tons of space for data storage. I don't care if internally files are saved at 500 GB/sec or 800 GB/sec as long as the system can push 100 MB/sec over ethernet, and any internal calculations (log file generation) don't require a lot of speed.

I have/had a much older Asrock Q1900 mini itx (J1900 CPU) which had zero problems to act as samba fileserver for backups and serving media files at home on a gigabit ethernet, run several docker images and iobroker while consuming 6-10w total and still being idle for 95% of the time. I only had to replace it because of a hardware error, and the quick test I ran with the new board and a dual NIC card with Intel chipset was done to see if I also could use the combo as firewall without wasting too much energy on the NIC card I had to plug in to get 2x Intel based gigabit adapters and avoid the realtek on board one.

I also have J3455 board, equipped with a 6x Sata card and a 10 GBit NIC. Again, looking at the PCIe speed and cpu power a N5105 box would be much faster, but the J3455 is installed in a server tower, offers around 40 TB space for backups and is able to save files at 500 MB/sec over the 10 gbit adapter, which is much faster than the normal data exchange from hdd to hdd while running beackpus. Here the hdds are the bottleneck and again not the PCIe bus.

So in all cases the N5105 is in theory the better choice when looking at some parameters, but a fail when looking at other relevant features of a NAS. I also doubt the PCIe bus (500 GB/sec) becomes the bottle neck while filtering the data coming in on 2x 2.5Gbit NIC adapters. Even at max spped 5 GBit/sec data are 500 MB/sec or about 0.1% of what the slow J5040 can transfer over the PCIe bus.

It is also the main reason why I don't see the need for upgrading of my J3160 based firewall running opnsense at the moment, which for sure has even less speed on the PCIe bus than a N5105. The box is capable of filtering 200 mbit/sec in both directions and does it's job.

Maybe I give proxmox another try and use the J5040 to run opnsense virtual and not bare metal, in parallel to the file server I really need. Then I could drop the J3160, save some more energy and use the J3160 as backup.

sndp

Nov 14, 2022
Hi all

Been following this thread for a short while and it's been a very interesting read. I'm currently in the Unifi Ecosystem (USG, Unifi PoE Switch, Unifi AP's)

Since my USG hasn't been updated in so long and I'm guessing it's nearing EOL I'm looking to move the router to a PfSense box.

I initially had my order placed by the Topton store on AliExpress

But Topton's lack of support and communication was extremely bad, based on the recommendations on this forum to use Loksing instead I've opted to go for the following box

The cost is slightly more but right off the bat the customer chat service has been impeccable! They even asked what colour chassis I would like and when I had also asked if the unit will come with a wall mount so I can save some floor space they offered me the bracket for free.

Delivery will also be tomorrow whereas I wasn't given a date in sight with Topton.

Anyway I will be using the box to install PfSense bare metal as I already have all my VMs in another Proxmox Intel NUC box - My download speeds are at 1Gbps and mainly just looking to use Wireguard VPN and IDS/IPS.

Reactions: rfox

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
But Topton's lack of support and communication was extremely bad, based on the recommendations on this forum to use Loksing instead I've opted to go for the following box

The cost is slightly more but right off the bat the customer chat service has been impeccable! They even asked what colour chassis I would like and when I had also asked if the unit will come with a wall mount so I can save some floor space they offered me the bracket for free.
Sounds tempting, but I'm a bit wary of the support - especially with an address like "2224527032@qq.com" - so don't count on future BIOS updates, etc.
Let us know how things turn out . . . I ordered a Ryzen 5800U unit on November 9th from KingNovy - still not shipped . . .

Last edited:

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Sounds tempting, but I'm a bit wary of the support - especially with an address like "2224527032@qq.com" - so don't count on future BIOS updates, etc.
Let us know how things turn out . . . I ordered a Ryzen 5800U unit on November 9th from Kingvoy - still not shipped . . .
i sent to similar address pics with my unit and cpu behavior, qq is like their google ecosystem....bios support looks ok-ish for now..last month they released bios for v1/v2 so ...

Interesting board. Only the CPU cooler needs to be replaced, at least for me, because NAS/FW is in the guest room and must be quiet. I wonder why people buy the small case version instead beside space constrains, because this one here offers much more features and possibilities.

Maybe later, as replacement of the J3160.
its a 17x17 MB that means you can put it in a regular case, no issue with the cooling .... so i think you can change the fan with a quiet one, you need to confirm with support that it uses the standard cpu cooler holes and tht you can replace it with a noctua or something bigger and passive