Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
OK, VAT here is "only" 19%, but still...

The power button sits almost flush and has quite a bit of resistance, so i guess it's hard to really press it by accident. Apart from initial setup and installation I haven't plugged anything into the USB, so no, I never pressed it by accident.

The reason why I bought the 'V2' is that it is the only variant with a proper console port. IMHO that's a requirement for a networking appliance...

Actually those "versions" (except the new boards with I226) don't reflect any real "updates" but only the configuration of the peripheral connectors (USB, HDMI/DP, console...). There is nothing "newer" about e.g. v3 vs v2.
So just choose whichever variant suits your needs. E.g. if you want a proper serial console, take that variation...
ah, I assumed the beefier case/better cooling was a v4 thing.

shhyguuy

Jul 10, 2015
Thx - I checked that out as well! :oops: Not sure what a "Ryron" is, but they don't seem to have the 5825U on the list ?!? Even though it says it on the description. Doesn't bode well for integrity !?! ;) You're braver than me to take a leap of faith . . . what model did you buy and are you happy with it?
Looks like they got some in stock. Now shows 5825U in stock. I may actually order one from loksing rather than aliexpress because there is a 10% "site discount" auto applied.

1665061669673.png

Attachments

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
out of curiosity I sat a 40mm noctua on top of the case with a noctua low noise adapter and the temp at max load dropped 6C ... the fan is barely moving air. Goes to show that even a slight air movement over the fins makes a big cooling difference.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Looks like they got some in stock. Now shows 5825U in stock. I may actually order one from loksing rather than aliexpress because there is a 10% "site discount" auto applied.

View attachment 24733
With a contact info as "Contact E-mail: 2224527032@qq.com" Tel: +86 13148568254 - Doesn't raise confidence if there is no address and strange e-mail domain "qq.com" ?!? Why not the loksing.com.cn ?!? Very strange . . . :oops: Proceed with caution!

leetdus

Oct 6, 2022
Hi all, I ordered the N5105 modelA from the following ali shop. Is this the famous v4? I'm totally lost in this version saga.
They also have a versionB which seems to be another case. What exactly is the difference between modelA & modelB? Only the case? Or is the modelB the real v4?

Thank you!

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
Hi all, I ordered the N5105 modelA from the following ali shop. Is this the famous v4? I'm totally lost in this version saga.
They also have a versionB which seems to be another case. What exactly is the difference between modelA & modelB? Only the case? Or is the modelB the real v4?

Thank you!
I would assume the feature to look for in order to determine the version is the possibility to install 2 SSD ( 2nd one via a small passive pcb)
Am I right ?

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021

Thank you!
V4 can be picked by the combination of changes in the bottom plate, the ude jacks + i226, the headers on the motherboard and the componet layout. It may have even been the first time we saw USB-C too (not so sure about that one though).

Yes, the model-A and model-B seem to be referring to the case used in that one.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
So far my proxmox VMs seem rock solid :cool:
Cheers.

BTW, on your machine, do you see any audio device attached to iGPU? It's fairly typical for dGPU to have example 00.02.1 as HDMI audio.

lspci -v

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 4e61 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

I was able to successfully passthrough iGPU to LinuxVM driving two 4K @60Hz monitors but no luck getting audio to work.

Anybody here have had luck?

dums

Aug 14, 2022
Hi,
I've finally received/tested JMB585 based SATA port adapter.
Good news is that it is working and ads 5 STATA ports. I was able to boot Ubuntu from SSD connected to port adapter.
Bad news is that it is not compatible with Samsung NVMe disk (980) :(
So I would like to ask if anyone has experience running V3/V4 with 2 NVMe's?
What brands/models allow to run 2 NVMe's simultaneously?
JMB585-s.jpg

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
Cheers.

BTW, on your machine, do you see any audio device attached to iGPU? It's fairly typical for dGPU to have example 00.02.1 as HDMI audio.

lspci -v

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 4e61 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

I was able to successfully passthrough iGPU to LinuxVM driving two 4K @60Hz monitors but no luck getting audio to work.

Anybody here have had luck?
I see this audio device

Code:
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 4dc8 (rev 01)
        DeviceName: Onboard - Sound
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 7270
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 157, IOMMU group 11
        Memory at 6001110000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Memory at 6001000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [80] Vendor Specific Information: Len=14 <?>
        Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_sof_pci_intel_icl

Reactions: GreenAvacado

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I see this audio device

Code:
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 4dc8 (rev 01)
        DeviceName: Onboard - Sound
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 7270
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 157, IOMMU group 11
        Memory at 6001110000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Memory at 6001000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [80] Vendor Specific Information: Len=14 <?>
        Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_sof_pci_intel_icl
Thanks for looking that up. Yeah, see the same audio device on my machine too, but doing passthrough on 00:1f.3 did not bring audio to life sadly. Have to poke around more...

Too bad, Windows 10 VM with 11th GPU drivers is not playing well and throw infamous "Code 43" error, mostly likely driver issue. Would be interesting to know if anyone figured this one out.

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
40mm fan at 5V is a bit too loud in the case... with the noctua fan silencer it's inaudible but drawing in from the bottom doesn't cool much. Just to play around I sat a 12V 140mm fan on top of the box and used USB to power it (5V) ... it's silent but causing a big drop in temperatures. whipped up a little design that would allow me to sit a fan on top permanently. Printing it now...

1665083995970.png

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
ok ... finaly i got my v4 also.

Smartphone > Dumbuser = me :))

i took some pictures during the lapping and gap removal , hit upload to google drive and immediately delete them from my phone .... thus only one pic got to drive :))

ok, so lets take it from the begining.

Another 25Eur in taxes as i presumed .... they sent it via the cheapest way possible (aka national Post). even though they charge shipping (ok, fine topton has it already baked in the price) is not the best, via Liege that is the busiest hub in EU.

with this ammount extra ... the price is the same as for topton....with worse shipping

They claim that this VAT is because i was unlucky and a spot check was performed by the customs agents. ..... to quote : we shipped hundreds of units, only 3 had this issues with the VAT.

To be fair they do not claim on the page that is fast/free shiping and without taxes like Topton does (and delivers)

Second: before i hit buy i had a discussion with the seller asking him not to sent the PSU cause i got the meanwell and to send me a FAN.
He showed me a pic and told me that is ok and it will ship it like that ... and an extra 11$ discount cupon for me.

One month later the packet arrived with a PSU and no FAN :)))

Now the unit itself.

CPU soaked in TIM almost full cpu cover(not die ..cpu ) ... but it was fresher than the one i had on Topton.

Some weird spacers on the CPU ??? THE ONLY PIC :)))) Probably to keep the TIM in :))
1665085622834.png

Removed those and the NIC heatsink to check for the gap

Yes is still has a gap .... is smaller the what it was on the v3 ....but is still there...... goddamn dumbuser > smarphone situation

So i filled it down to "spec" and also removed the first anodized layer between the cooper and case. ... I read somewhere that anodized Al can be made in 2 ways ... one has no influence on thermal conductivity, the other method does ...in a significant way.
So better safe then sorry i removed the fist layer and lapped the surface.

Then i lapped the copper block ....which had some big grovves in it from the machining.
And quess what ... the cpu side was concave ...the case side convex ....nice....NOT (those are the pics im most mad abbout loosing)

Anyway ... fixed the gap, lapped the copper and the case, put new paste properly and power it on.

Bios is different .... ill need to get around to take a look in more detail...but i saw there are some new PL levels by default 15 -25 instead of 15 -30 on the old one
Bios version JK4L v103
Bios date 07/30/2022

So now is running a Prime95 session fro about 6 hours now.

Nothing changed in the bios is running 2.3 - 2.4GHZ all cores at about 60-65 C which is not bad at all in a 23C ambient room.
Never one hit thermal limit

Still looking for undervolting this ... i think it would be good performer with -50mv on the cpu

LE: If anyone knows how to recover pics deleted from the phone ... let me know :)))

Reactions: dums

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
Hi,
I've finally received/tested JMB585 based SATA port adapter.
Good news is that it is working and ads 5 STATA ports. I was able to boot Ubuntu from SSD connected to port adapter.
Bad news is that it is not compatible with Samsung NVMe disk (980) :(
View attachment 24745

Reactions: dazagrt

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
there is ... and the copper needs lapping ..also is not plane .... at least mine wasnt ....

i see temps under 60 C at 2.3-2.4GHz all cores at 15w package power.

ill post a screenshot tomorrow morning ....ill let it run all night (f88k Ursula with here power savings :))) )

Last edited:

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Just as ech1965 has already linked to, so long as you keep it to just one Samsung SSD just about anything else should be fine to use, with the only caveat being as it's not the same controller chip as the Samsung I guess.

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
120mm 12V fan in there running off a USB port (5V). Unit at full load all day today and temps sit @ 54C ... can't hear the fan at all. This unit is just sitting on a shelf under my desk so going to go with this setup. Will print a final draft version tomorrow.

20221006_201005.jpg