Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
I did an image search and found that looks like there is only the i5/i7 6-port version has such a case with this heatsink.

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
I have a 80mm 12v fan that i wired @7v.. for you guys just put the negative fan pin on the 5v pin and the positive fan pin to the 12v pin.. it's an old workaround from back the old days.

mine is really silent and so cool (cpu, nvme, case).

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Hello to all from Germany - Great thread! I purchased a J4125 unit from Amazon Germany back in May - been running with Proxmox and OPNSense for some time - upgraded to 16GB RAM and added 512GB SSD - Only issue is when it's tasked too hard, it shuts itself down (I think thermal shutdown of some sort) - no issues with i225-v3 and passthrough - runs quite stable as long as I don't try other VMs simultaneously :rolleyes:

I was contemplating moving up to a 1135G7 model - but now that I've seen the Ryzen 5800U/5825U units - I'm quite tempted, although there is no reviews or information about the insides . . . Has anyone actually purchased one of these (Topton 5825U) and can share some impressions or photos?

R.Fox

Attachments

Reactions: n00b and dazagrt

neo243

Sep 14, 2022
@rfox the apu unites are on pre sale now so i doubt anyone got their hands on them by now.

Also my n6005 is running fine so far but my debian docker server is crashing like alot here reported anyone got a fix for that by now?
The Opnsense VM is fine so.

Reactions: rfox

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
That appears to be only the 5800U and 5600U units - not the 5825U (newest apu) o_O
Looks like early 2021 generation, I'll get it right soon! lol. Either way, I killed the link as it was wrong for the point we were talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfox

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
hello I would also like to buy a hardware like yours or 6005, but have you had the opportunity to try it as a firewall with pfsense?
No yet ! arrived yesterday.
Need some time to explore bios/upgrade...
Moreover, I have no plan to use *sense (My "prod" homelab firewall is a mikrotik RB5009
I plan to use the mini-pc as a proxmox host for my test cluster

wifi75

Oct 5, 2022
Ok thanks for the answer, I'm looking for an answer regarding the type of recommended hardware I could buy, and take a N5005 or N6005 CPU to install Pfs, I have a 1Gb FTTH connection.
Obviously I would take them without ram and ssd.
Nobody here bought one of these two hardware to install PFs?

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
Hello to all from Germany - Great thread! I purchased a J4125 unit from Amazon Germany back in May - been running with Proxmox and OPNSense for some time - upgraded to 16GB RAM and added 512GB SSD - Only issue is when it's tasked too hard, it shuts itself down (I think thermal shutdown of some sort) - no issues with i225-v3 and passthrough - runs quite stable as long as I don't try other VMs simultaneously :rolleyes:

I was contemplating moving up to a 1135G7 model - but now that I've seen the Ryzen 5800U/5825U units - I'm quite tempted, although there is no reviews or information about the insides . . . Has anyone actually purchased one of these (Topton 5825U) and can share some impressions or photos?

R.Fox
Shutting itself down under load seems to be a pretty catastrophic failure. I'd be returning that unit :eek:

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Shutting itself down under load seems to be a pretty catastrophic failure. I'd be returning that unit
Considering that _ALL_ reports about crashes/freezes are _ONLY_ affecting proxmox and/or generally linux (with virtualization), it is safe to assume that there is nothing wrong on the hardware side. *Especially* because all other OS even with virtualization are running perfectly fine on those systems...

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Considering that _ALL_ reports about crashes/freezes are _ONLY_ affecting proxmox and/or generally linux (with virtualization), it is safe to assume that there is nothing wrong on the hardware side. *Especially* because all other OS even with virtualization are running perfectly fine on those systems...
I beg to differ - I also have dual boot with Linux Mint on that device - and if there is too high of a load and it gets too warm, it simply performs an emergency shutdown! I open it up and put better thermal paste on the heatsink hoping this would help . . . I also reported this to the supplier (HAMSING IPC) - They suggested I throttle the CPU "C" states in BIOS to avoid this issue. Naturally, the biggest concern with such devices is the BIOS updates are practically non-existent and support is also challenging (to say the least) - that's why I am holding back on the Ryzen 5825U device until someone else has tried them first . . . don't like being a guinea pig :oops: at that price category ;)

Last edited:

elvisimprsntr

May 9, 2021
Florida
Our friends at Protectli: Trusted Firewall Appliances with Firmware Protection just announced a new 2.5G quad port appliance. Might be an alternative to the stuff direct out of China

Friends of Protectli,

Today we are excited to launch the successor to the Protectli Vault FW4B, our most popular model ever sold: The Protectli Vault FW4C, starting at $359.

The FW4C looks the same on the outside, keeping the same chassis as its predecessor, but is packed with upgrades including four 2.5G Intel® ethernet ports and an upgraded Intel® J3710 Quad-Core CPU, which is 19% faster than the J3160 found on the FW4B*.

Protectli Vault 4-Port, FW4C

• Intel Pentium® J3710 Quad-Core at 1.6 GHz (Burst to 2.6 GHz)
  • 4x Intel® 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet ports
  • up to 8GB DDR3 SODIMM memory and up to 2TB mSATA storage
  • AMI BIOS is standard and coreboot will be available in the September timeframe

wifi75

Oct 5, 2022
I beg to differ - I also have dual boot with Linux Mint on that device - and if there is too high of a load and it gets too warm, it simply performs an emergency shutdown! I open it up and put better thermal paste on the heatsink hoping this would help . . . I also reported this to the supplier (HAMSING IPC) - They suggested I throttle the CPU "C" states in BIOS to avoid this issue. Naturally, the biggest concern with such devices is the BIOS updates are practically non-existent and support is also challenging (to say the least) - that's why I am holding back on the Ryzen 5825U device until someone else has tried them first . . . don't like being a guinea pig :oops: at that price category ;)
it is the same as they sell on aliexpress ....on aliexpress the price is lower.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Ok thanks for the answer, I'm looking for an answer regarding the type of recommended hardware I could buy, and take a N5005 or N6005 CPU to install Pfs, I have a 1Gb FTTH connection.
Obviously I would take them without ram and ssd.
Nobody here bought one of these two hardware to install PFs?
get at least N5105. 5005 not worth it

As you can see if you read carefully there are plenty that went the barebone pfsense/opnsens, and it works fine. for Virtualization with proxmox some reports some issues ....but not all

be sure you get a v4 usually it will come with i226 nics and try to buy something that has a CW mobo inside, (im saying this just because for that board are more ppl that have it and they provide input and new ideas.) You dont want to be the odd one out when it come to "support" on the forum...with a board that no one has. .... safety in numbers :)

Also, i dont know for the others, but CW has a support site where you can get bios updates....although ... if is not really broken i dont think biso updates helps that much

Our friends at Protectli: Trusted Firewall Appliances with Firmware Protection just announced a new 2.5G quad port appliance. Might be an alternative to the stuff direct out of China

holly shit ... 5-6 years old CPU