Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Yep that's what I'm saying unfortunately... :D

Guess I'll kick the can with OPNsense for a bit and wait to see how Untangle develops. That or order a Protectli with the legacy intel NIC. Typically I'm a better researcher but dropped the ball this time for sure.
Come on guys is it really that bad?

Throw your new one in the for-sale forum and buy something else new from the older gen range, maybe this would suit; Else, just run Proxmox on your new i226 unit and install Untangle/Arista with generic virtualized NICs.

Reactions: BrutusBoots

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
I went with 32GB of RAM and a 500GB NVME. I'm hoping it turns into a good proxmox platform.
Do you intend to use proxmox and view pfsense or opnsense on 5105 or 6005? If so, forget it... Already a kernel bug that causes virtualized machines to have a kernel panic. Something already known here on the forum. Stable, only if bare metal or Hyper-V

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
Do you intend to use proxmox and view pfsense or opnsense on 5105 or 6005? If so, forget it... Already a kernel bug that causes virtualized machines to have a kernel panic. Something already known here on the forum. Stable, only if bare metal or Hyper-V
5105. Proxmox has issues which are supposedly resolved using the latest edge kernel.

roarking

Aug 28, 2022
Only drawback so far: the serial console wasn't enabled by default, so I had to connect a monitor and keyboard on each unit at first to enable it.
Where did you enable the serial console in BIOS? Could you send a screenshot or terminal output of the relevant BIOS feature?

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Where did you enable the serial console in BIOS? Could you send a screenshot or terminal output of the relevant BIOS feature?
The option is actually called "Serial Console" - so it's not really hard to find...
I can take a screenshot on monday if you really need it.

roarking

Aug 28, 2022
The option is actually called "Serial Console" - so it's not really hard to find...
I can take a screenshot on monday if you really need it.
I received my V4 N5105 with BIOS JK4L103 today and "Serial Port Console Redirection" is missing from the BIOS. The board has a COM header (JCOM1) and I hope that the feature can be added/enabled in a future BIOS version. Your screenshot will be useful to illustrate what I need when I talk to CWWK.

MTOakey

Sep 24, 2022
Homestead, FL
Greetings all, I JUST read the review on the "Inexpensive 4x 2.5GbE Fanless Router Firewall Box" on STH and I have a few questions being a newbie, now if this is the wrong place to ask such, please direct me to the proper place.
So, as far as I can tell, this wonderful little ROUTER does not have a GUI interface only CLI, which I would have to install pfSense on?
I am truly a novice, so I need to ask, are there any other little 2.5G ROUTERS available just so I can do a few vlans ??
My config is Comcast CBR2-T (has 2.5G ports)(1.5Tb connection) in Bridge mode >>> currently Sonicwall TZ350 {I want to remove and put a wired 2.5Gbe ROUTER w/SFP+} >>> currently Ruckus ICX 1750-48F/soon to be replaced with a Ubiquitti Enterprise 48 PoE >>> much AV gear and 2 Ubiquiti LR Pro AP's .

I should also mention that the 48poe Switch connects via 10GSR SFP+ to another 48poe Switch of the same model, and also to a 24port version of the same in the same manner.

I would really prefer a GUI interface for ease of configuration - unless the CLI is easy and quick to learn.

Any and all suggestions are gladly requested and welcome.
I really want to keep the price below US$300.00

Thank You all in advance !!!

Last edited:

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
I'm using the indicated kernel, I even participate in the official forum and I can say that unfortunately the 5.19 kernel doesn't fix the flaws.
I see one or two people reporting stability. Makes me wonder if it's a BIOS setting. CWWK touts proxmox on the product page so it would also be interesting to hear their thoughts on what you're seeing.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Greetings all, I JUST read the review on the "Inexpensive 4x 2.5GbE Fanless Router Firewall Box" on STH and I have a few questions being a newbie, now if this is the wrong place to ask such, please direct me to the proper place.
So, as far as I can tell, this wonderful little ROUTER does not have a GUI interface only CLI, which I would have to install pfSense on?
I am truly a novice, so I need to ask, are there any other little 2.5G ROUTERS available just so I can do a few vlans ??
My config is Comcast CBR2-T (has 2.5G ports)(1.5Tb connection) in Bridge mode >>> currently Sonicwall TZ350 {I want to remove and put a wired 2.5Gbe ROUTER w/SFP+} >>> currently Ruckus ICX 1750-48F/soon to be replaced with a Ubiquitti Enterprise 48 PoE >>> much AV gear and 2 Ubiquiti LR Pro AP's .
I would really prefer a GUI interface for ease of configuration - unless the CLI is easy and quick to learn.

Any and all suggestions are gladly requested and welcome.
I really want to keep the price below US$300.00

Thank You all in advance !!!

This is not a router....is a mini pc that has 4 or 6 nics...making great for network routing tasks

So if you can install windows or linux you will have no problem installing pfsense/opensen and any other multiple choice of routing software

Software installed does the routing ... and yes they are GUI ...unless you really want CLI

Reactions: MTOakey

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
I see one or two people reporting stability. Makes me wonder if it's a BIOS setting. CWWK touts proxmox on the product page so it would also be interesting to hear their thoughts on what you're seeing.
So the error presented, is simply kernel panic inside the VMs (not on the host)
Proxmox is rock solid on the host, but the pfSense VM, Ubuntu and Windows Server, just die.
Remembering that the VM uptime continues to run (displayed in the Proxmox UI), but in the system used, the counter is reset again.
Example: VM uptime displayed on proxmox 15 days. System uptime displayed within the pfSense dashboard: 0 days 0 hours 10 minutes.

In Windows Server 2022, when entering the system desktop, it displays kernel failure (Error - Kernel Power ID 41)

On Ubuntu, it doesn't show an error, but I can see inside the dmesg the moment the kernel panic happens and the machine reboots and becomes operational again.

Even using Kernel 5.19 doesn't solve the problem. Kernel 5.15 same thing.
We could not understand the reason for this behavior, if it is something that can be fixed via BIOS or not.
But, I'm already inclined to get the Ryzen 5825U version (I believe changing the processor can solve it)

Here's a link to read:

MTOakey

Sep 24, 2022
Homestead, FL
This is not a router....is a mini pc that has 4 or 6 nics...making great for network routing tasks

So if you can install windows or linux you will have no problem installing pfsense/opensen and any other multiple choice of routing software

Software installed does the routing ... and yes they are GUI ...unless you really want CLI
Thanks for that... so, in my mind, I only need the/a ROUTER because I thought I needed vlans. Do you or anyone else think I can just run a flat Network - No vlans - for our Church, only have like 17 connections all but the AP's are wireless, so I do need DHCP for those AP's, but most everything else as far as A/V equipment connects by wire and CAN be set STATIC {is now also DHCP} and I was looking at a Zyxel XGS1210-12 to be able to maximize my connection rate and download capability ... good choice ??
Or should I lean more toward the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro ??? to go along with the Switches and AP's .....
On a Sunday we do get close to 200 wi-fi connections, but during the rest of the week, we max out at like 30-35.

Last edited:

safado

Aug 21, 2020
Come on guys is it really that bad?

Throw your new one in the for-sale forum and buy something else new from the older gen range, maybe this would suit; Else, just run Proxmox on your new i226 unit and install Untangle/Arista with generic virtualized NICs.
Nah I can always use another piece of hardware to play with! :D

I could go the proxmox route but then that's one more layer to have to manage--yes I'm a lazy admin!

cioby23

Aug 11, 2022
The 4 units we ordered last week [1] arrived yesterday :D
This variant comes with the perforated bottom plate and copper block.
I disassembled each of them before installing RAM (8GB crucial) and the NVMe (256GB WD SN530) and they all had good contact with the copper block. Only on one unit I filed the studs a bit to also get some slight pre-tension, but I don't think it was necessary.

View attachment 24575

BIOS Version is 1338NP-12-V112:

[1] https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004501531656.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802rQgIuQ
Hello I have bought recently a similar model with Celeron N5105 but the on the enclosure I have an aluminium heatsink for CPU instead of a copper one. 157.19US $ 45% OFF|11th Gen Intel Mini Router I7 1165g7 Pentium 7505 4 Intel I225 2.5g Lan 2xddr4 Nvme Celeron N5105 Fanless Pfsense Firewall Pc - Barebone & Mini Pc - AliExpress

Is it recommended to replace it with a copper heatsink ? It will help lowering CPU temperature ?

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Thanks for that... so, in my mind, I only need the/a ROUTER because I thought I needed vlans. Do you or anyone else think I can just run a flat Network - No vlans - for our Church, only have like 17 connections all but the AP's are wireless, so I do need DHCP for those AP's, but most everything else as far as A/V equipment connects by wire and CAN be set STATIC {is now also DHCP} and I was looking at a Zyxel XGS1210-12 to be able to maximize my connection rate and download capability ... good choice ??
Or should I lean more toward the Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro ??? to go along with the Switches and AP's .....
On a Sunday we do get close to 200 wi-fi connections, but during the rest of the week, we max out at like 30-35.
i think you should run vlan for sure .... at least for AP, dude, and block it to get in the other vlans (like a guest network...no LAN privileges) .... cause you dont know who is connected to your wifi on sunday .... you dont want them to have access to the secrets of the Lord, right ?

Cameras should also be put an a separate vlan as they can be attack vectors

so yeah, vlans for sure ... if you make a list to know what is what IP, you can have DHCP and static reservations for all your cameras and AP.

Unifi routers are ok-ish as long you dont want to do openVpn ....and im not sure for UDM Pro, but the older routers were really slow if you activate IDS/IPS in case you need that
The only benefit in my opinon is that you have a full overview of the network in Unifi Control app ... without the router you will see the switches /AP and clients.

Reactions: MTOakey

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
So the error presented, is simply kernel panic inside the VMs (not on the host)
Using a v.3 board with N6005 and i225 here. Rock solid.
Running pfSense Plus 22.05, two Technitium DNS containers, OpenMediaVault VM.

No issues whatsoever with PCI passtrough.

Edit: I'm running 3 of those with the same exact configuration.

Proxmox setup: q35 for VMs, SeaBIOS, official pve kernel 5.19, intel-microcode installed, IOMMU with PT activated, CPU mitigations off, 4 queues each virtual bridge, powersaving governor, pointer for tablet disabled, weekly fstrim, pfSense with virtIO console enabled (QEMU), flow control disabled.
No fancy NVME or ultrafast RAM, using the stuff that came with the box. Replaced thermal compound on each box with MX-4 before the first power on.

Last edited: