Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gilly_1970

Aug 18, 2022
Temps started at low 30s and crept up to System at 56C and CPU at 50C.
One suggestion I would make is to remove the paint under the thermal blocks and see if that improves the transfer of heat to the case? The paint will be effecting the efficacy of the heat transferring to the case..

I’ve had my unit running stable with OPNsense for over 8 days now with no issue (fingers crossed) but the temp does fluctuating between 40c up to 60c. I think this can be improved on, so I’ve also taken up the challenge.. and for some fun tinkering :)

My plan is to solder the thermal blocks to the actual case and make sure the CPU is touching the thermal block by adjusting the motherboard mounts like someone else in this thread has done.. Started the process today and have stripped the unit down

Sanding with wet and dry to remove the layer of paint and cleaning up the metal...
20220906.jpg

The Motherboard still has a lot of leftover flux around the components so decided to clean it all off and protect it with a layer of circuit board lacquer..
20220906_182903.jpg
20220906_191817.jpg

Will finish it over the weekend and report back if I waisted my time or not :)

Last edited:
Reactions: olavrb

dums

Aug 14, 2022
Hi,
As I've received new PSU, I was finally able to test NAS performance on "fat" v3 unit.
It looks that with decent PSU (I've used 60w MEAN-WELL) internal power connector was adequate for feeding Exos X16 7200 rpm disk.
Reading from NAS was rock solid 227 MB/s (2 Gbps). CPU usage was up to 30%.
Writing to NAS at times was able to fully saturate 2.5Gbps ethernet with 270 MB/s (2.3 Gbps), but there were some fluctuations in throughput graphs. CPU usage was up to ~50%.
I didn't stress test it for extended time periods (I've moved 15Gig file back and forth for ~10 times), but it appears that for my intended usage passive cooling is adequate as CPU temperatures reached ~+40C, HDD ~+33C.
Overall I'm very happy with results, my only wish is for second (or even thrid) sata connector on motherboard.

Attachments

Reactions: Kaccatu

TH_user

Aug 22, 2022
IMG_2725.jpeg

I removed the aluminum heatsink to allow for more light.

So I guess I do have some small gap. You can clearly see that there is light between the top of the CPU and the copper block.

I just need to sand down the studs embedded in the heatsink, correct?

IMG_2698 (1).jpeg

Gilly_1970

Aug 18, 2022
For those with the CWWK V4…

Temps before pulling this thing appart..
OPNsense_Before.PNG

Cleaned up the thermal blocks used wet a dry 1200
20220909_220047.jpg

Visible gap between the CPU and Copper thermal block...
GAP.jpg

Filling down the motherboard mounts
20220910_114747.jpg

No more gap between the CPU and themal blocks
20220910_133941.jpg

Puttting the thermal blocks back in place.. I didn't end up soldering them in.. I just cramped them in place with Noctua NT-H2 and fixed them in with better replacment screws
20220910_130334.jpg

Temps after fixing that gap... ;)
After.jpg

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
For those with the CWWK V4…

Temps before pulling this thing appart..
View attachment 24391

Cleaned up the thermal blocks used wet a dry 1200
View attachment 24392

Visible gap between the CPU and Copper thermal block...
View attachment 24393

Filling down the motherboard mounts
View attachment 24394

No more gap between the CPU and themal blocks
View attachment 24395

Puttting the thermal blocks back in place.. I didn't end up soldering them in.. I just cramped them in place with Noctua NT-H2 and fixed them in with better replacment screws
View attachment 24396

Temps after fixing that gap... ;)
View attachment 24397
nice job, so even cwwk does a great job on those gaps.

do you have a fan attached?

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
Hi,
As I've received new PSU, I was finally able to test NAS performance on "fat" v3 unit.
It looks that with decent PSU (I've used 60w MEAN-WELL) internal power connector was adequate for feeding Exos X16 7200 rpm disk.
Reading from NAS was rock solid 227 MB/s (2 Gbps). CPU usage was up to 30%.
Writing to NAS at times was able to fully saturate 2.5Gbps ethernet with 270 MB/s (2.3 Gbps), but there were some fluctuations in throughput graphs. CPU usage was up to ~50%.
I didn't stress test it for extended time periods (I've moved 15Gig file back and forth for ~10 times), but it appears that for my intended usage passive cooling is adequate as CPU temperatures reached ~+40C, HDD ~+33C.
Overall I'm very happy with results, my only wish is for second (or even thrid) sata connector on motherboard.
remove the nvme and place an asm1166 5x sata3 port in that slot, you can build a nas with that config.

TH_user

Aug 22, 2022
that is some nice alu block for the net chips, what brand/version is that?
I'm not sure. It came with the unit. No markings.

I did note no thermal paste on the top of the aluminum block to the ethernet chips. I intend to add some.

dums

Aug 14, 2022
remove the nvme and place an asm1166 5x sata3 port in that slot, you can build a nas with that config.
I am considering JMB585 based 5 x SATA controller, but I don't wan to loose NVME disk and I didn't order m.2 E key to M key converter to get two M key slots. Will try to contact topton to see if it can be ordered separatelly.

Last edited:

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
It's the FLX and I made a temp connection to the USB connecter on the board until I can find the right connection to the fan port.
View attachment 24398

The case feels lukewarm to the touch
I believe this should solve your fan connection problem, this one has 4 pins, so if your fan has rotation control, it will work perfectly: 0.9US $ |Mini ventoinha de 4 pinos, pwm 10cm para mirco 4pin, adaptador de energia, cabo preto para placa vídeo vga, placa gráfica|Cabos de computador e conectores| - AliExpress

Vorwrath

Feb 24, 2020
Can anyone measure the idle power consumption of the CWWK i226-V N5105 unit please? Ideally when running pfSense/OPNsense, but any data would be helpful.

I'm looking at using one for an always on home router, so it makes sense to factor that in, particularly with the way electricity prices are going here in the UK. For something that's on 24/7 and will hopefully be used for a number of years, a few watts difference can start to add up.

Reactions: Stovar

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Can anyone measure the idle power consumption of the CWWK i226-V N5105 unit please? Ideally when running pfSense/OPNsense, but any data would be helpful.
10 watts.

I'm looking at using one for an always on home router, so it makes sense to factor that in, particularly with the way electricity prices are going here in the UK. For something that's on 24/7 and will hopefully be used for a number of years, a few watts difference can start to add up.
10w running 24/7 @ 4 weeks / 25 cents/kWhr = $1.80 per Month

HTH

Reactions: Stovar

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
Hi !

I'm reading this very useful thread but I might have missed answers to a couple of questions...

I'd like to buy one or two of those jasper like 4x 2.5 mini pc to replace my i7-3770 proxmox cluster (dell optiplex)

* I live in EU so buying from aliexpress is risky ( vat, 30€ fee from belgian custom....)
* I found this on amazon https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0BCKVJT1L/ where all taxes are included.
* there are 2 models: RJ03L adn RJ03M does someone know the differences ?

I have a few questions:
* Did someone buy from the same seller ? HUNSN
* where can I download bios/drivers updates ?
* is this board compatible with 32GB ram sticks ? ( like https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07ZLCVKPV/ )

Thanks in advance
Etienne