Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Adrjl64

Jul 29, 2022
Just tested, working with two NVMe. Using two cheapish SSD, a Kingston NV1 and a AData Legend 700, both 250 GB. Running the original BIOS, did not update yet.

SSD with adapter is recognized as disk 0 (AData), SSD in m.2 2280 slot is disk 1 (Kingston). Would expect it the other way round, but it's not an issue.
Maybe I'm just lucky...
I contacted my reseller (HUNSN via the Dutch amazon site) on this issue and they provided me with some info on working combinations. It were all Chinese nvme drives that weren’t sold in my country, but after some analysis the limitation on possible combinations seem to be related to the controller used on the drive. Using a phison based controller in combination with another type (or a second phison based) could be the solution.

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
yeah ... cause if CW fix the shit ...Topton also got it :)) you dont think topton made the case :) right ?
I don't think that anyone knew for a "fact" that topton wasn't the one making the chassis as well... Everyone here was only sure about the board itself, since some users tracked down the true manufacturer of the board.

Now if we talk about guessing? Yeah, sure i also thought that topton was just reselling and nothing else tbh, in other words, topton was\is a true middleman only.

Anyway its not worth it to buy it from topton tbh, just buy strait from ChangWang! Since ChangWang pre sales is much better and faster, also when you buy from them they will send it with dust filters + you can ask them to include a fan as well! I know that cause a friend of mine bought a n6005 v4 model from them yesterday and when he asked about a fan they offer to send one.

In this last pic ... the board seems a bit flexed? .... i have the same flex on my board after filing down the pegs..... i dont think it will have any issues
Might be an effect from the zoom of the camera? I'll check it again to make sure! I say this cause i don't remember seeing this flex when was working on it.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
because by miracle ...when CW "came" to market with v4 with a proper aligned cooper and no gaps ...also topton has found the holy grail after 4 versions :) and they propper aligned the cpu and have no gaps.
+ all the different names but basically the exact same hardware topton kingnovy..bla bla

To me that means topton and the rest was just a reseler .... or another name brand.
When i bought the Topton they told me it takes 2-3 days for actual shipping because they test the machine before they send it ..... i suspect they where waiting for delivery from CW :)))

i agree customer support is very important .... lets wait and see if some one wants a refund or return .... then we will see the real support.

Dont get me worng ...im not defending or accusing anyone ....but, Buyer beware, when you hit buy, you still get some cheap machine with little QA

About the flex i would be concerned ... is fine, PCB can flex way more before issues can occur.... i was just curious ... cause my flex is comming from the Al block from nics..... i might removed altogether

Last edited:

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
I contacted my reseller (HUNSN via the Dutch amazon site) on this issue and they provided me with some info on working combinations. It were all Chinese nvme drives that weren’t sold in my country, but after some analysis the limitation on possible combinations seem to be related to the controller used on the drive. Using a phison based controller in combination with another type (or a second phison based) could be the solution.
Makes sense, both of my nvme drives have phision controller (although it's hardware lottery with these cheap drives). Also explains why people with samsung SSDs got issues. Hope they will sort it out.

hole in the side is present?
Short answer: yes.

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
because by miracle ...when CW "came" to market with v4 with a proper aligned cooper and no gaps ...also topton has found the holy grail after 4 versions :) and they propper aligned the cpu and have no gaps.
+ all the different names but basically the exact same hardware topton kingnovy..bla bla

To me that means topton and the rest was just a reseler .... or another name brand.
When i bought the Topton they told me it takes 2-3 days for actual shipping because they test the machine before they send it ..... i suspect they where waiting for delivery from CW :)))

i agree customer support is very important .... lets wait and see if some one wants a refund or return .... then we will see the real support.

Dont get me worng ...im not defending or accusing anyone ....but, Buyer beware, when you hit buy, you still get some cheap machine with little QA

About the flex i would be concerned ... is fine, PCB can flex way more before issues can occur.... i was just curious ... cause my flex is comming from the Al block from nics..... i might removed altogether
To be honest if warranty + return is something that you worry about, then don't import stuff... Cause it will always be a pain in the ass to return it, to have a proper warranty and etc.

Cheap or fair price + maybe better\newer specs + no warranty = buy from china or import.
Expensive or really expensive + maybe inferior\older specs + warranty = buy locally.

Just like for me here, i can buy these appliances from a local company just like protectli but it will cost me U$$ 600,00 for one with 4 gigabit ports + a Pentium N3700 (freaking 2015 cpu). And just like protectli, this company that is selling these appliances here in my country, is also just grabbing these systems from china, in other words, they are just re-branding and re-selling them at really high prices! While i got my barebones v4 fat from topton for U$$ 170-180 with free shipping + no import taxes paid.

So from these examples(protectli and this other company), we can know one thing for sure i guess? And is that the board itself is descent quality\reliable?

To me what are we missing is a proper bios or better yet coreboot support, and the QC when assembling the board on chassis was\is bad in some occasions causing really bad CPU temps which was improved lately as we saw here with all the reports of the users who go the v3 and v4 systems.

ChangWang seems to be getting better with time, improving the boards, releasing bios updates and etc.

If we could get coreboot to run on these it would be perfect.

Last edited:

TH_user

Aug 22, 2022

This is a purchase from the KingNovy 3C Store on AliExpress. The provided estimated delivery date at the time of order was October 8.

I received the unit above today. This post concerns shipping times for the unit. The unit was bound for Thailand so only the initial shipping timeframes may be particular to your circumstance.

2022-08-22Order date
2022-08-24 9:00Received by logistics company
2022-08-24 9:30[Shatian Town]Processing at sorting center
2022-08-25 3:30[Shatian Town]Processing at sorting center
2022-08-25 4:36Arrived at departure transport hub
2022-08-25 23:30Leaving from departure country/region
2022-08-29 10:59Arrived in transit country/region
2022-08-29 12:28Leaving transit country/region
2022-09-02 9:59Received by local delivery company
2022-09-02 10:00Arrived at destination country/region
2022-09-02 14:52Clearing Customs
Custom clearance successful
At local delivery center
2022-09-04 9:50Out for delivery
Delivery unsuccessful
2022-09-04 10:21Delivery failed

The order went out the door within two days and left China within three days. The rest is particular to my location.

I did have to pay 216 Thai baht (approx USD $6.00) in customs duty on the package.
The package shipped with a declared value of $80 USD and was listed as a Mini PC Case.
HS Tarriff Code was 84714100
If KingNovy is consistent you should be able to calculate the tarriff in your country based on the declared value and Harmonized System Code above.
In my case there was no customs duty and I paid only a 7% VAT tax for the value listed.

IMG_2680.jpeg

IMG_2681.jpeg

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022

This is a purchase from the KingNovy 3C Store on AliExpress.

I received the unit above today. This post concerns shipping times for the unit. The unit was bound for Thailand so only the initial shipping timeframes may be particular to your circumstance.

2022-08-22Order date
2022-08-24 9:00Received by logistics company
2022-08-24 9:30[Shatian Town]Processing at sorting center
2022-08-25 3:30[Shatian Town]Processing at sorting center
2022-08-25 4:36Arrived at departure transport hub
2022-08-25 23:30Leaving from departure country/region
2022-08-29 10:59Arrived in transit country/region
2022-08-29 12:28Leaving transit country/region
2022-09-02 9:59Received by local delivery company
2022-09-02 10:00Arrived at destination country/region
2022-09-02 14:52Clearing Customs
Custom clearance successful
At local delivery center
2022-09-04 9:50Out for delivery
Delivery unsuccessful
2022-09-04 10:21Delivery failed

The order went out the door within two days and left China within three days. The rest is particular to my location.

I did have to pay 216 Thai baht (approx USD $6.00) in customs duty on the package.
The package shipped with a declared value of $80 USD and was listed as a Mini PC Case.
HS Tarriff Code was 84714100
If KingNovy is consistent you should be able to calculate the tarriff in your country based on the declared value and Harmonized System Code above.
In my case there was no customs duty and I paid only a 7% VAT tax for the value listed.

View attachment 24304

View attachment 24305
Chinese stores in aliexpress will usually declare any value the buyer wants them to declare, like in my case where i told topton in the chat to declare it with a value of U$$ 20,00 and they did just that...

I asked them that because here in Brazil the import tax is really high, its 60% of value declared and in some states you pay the 60% + another type of tax.

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
Hi guys. Can anyone provide me a bios dump for topton n6005 v3 unit? Unfortunately ChangWang site only provide an update from 25th April and not the full bios. Thanks,

TH_user

Aug 22, 2022
I could use a little help. I want to see if I'm missing anything.

I have KingNovy unit with six i225 ports. The unit has a CW-N11 black motherboard.

When I power on with an Hikvision E3000 256 Gb M.2 2280 NVME the entire unit will not power up.
Remove the M.2 SSD and it powers up, POSTs and boots to BIOS just fine.

I've emailed CWWK to see if a more recent BIOS is available in the hopes it's an issue with the Maxio MAP1202A controller on the SSD.

Other than that it could be a defective drive subject to RMA but I'm looking for other ideas to cover my bases.

Thanks.

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
I could use a little help. I want to see if I'm missing anything.

I have KingNovy unit with six i225 ports. The unit has a CW-N11 black motherboard.

When I power on with an Hikvision E3000 256 Gb M.2 2280 NVME the entire unit will not power up.
Remove the M.2 SSD and it powers up, POSTs and boots to BIOS just fine.

I've emailed CWWK to see if a more recent BIOS is available in the hopes it's an issue with the Maxio MAP1202A controller on the SSD.

Other than that it could be a defective drive subject to RMA but I'm looking for other ideas to cover my bases.

Thanks.
Can you please post CWWK email? I need some help restoring a BIOS. I "bricked" my unit...

TH_user

Aug 22, 2022
ccc
Can you please post CWWK email? I need some help restoring a BIOS. I "bricked" my unit...

I used Email: ccc@changwang.com

Reactions: Catalin

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
ccc

I used Email: ccc@changwang.com
Thanks!

Gilly_1970

Aug 18, 2022
Hey Guys,

Just want to say thanks to all those that have contributed to this thread

I hit the purchase button back on the 3rd of Aug for one of Topton’s N6005 i225 6 LANs which thankfully hadn’t shipped. Topton said “not shipping until the end of Aug” which allowed me enough time to stubble across this thread and started reading with an oh crap… Thankfully, I was able to cancel the Topton order and purchased one from CWWK’s V4 N6005 i226 instead. CW sent the next day after purchase and it was delivered last Thursday... Very fast delivery only 11 days to AU..

I pulled the unit apart and can confirm no gap between the CPU and Case so I left it as is for now. The only mod I made was adding a Noctua 40mm fan inside the case. I loaded up Windows 11 straight away just to check things out like the CPU etc.. I can confirm it looks to be a retail N6005. Windows didn’t install the i266 drivers I had to manually install them from Intel but other than that Windows 11 installed fine, only one other exclamation mark remained but didn’t bother trying to resolve. Next I loaded up OPNsense and its been running stable ever since which is why I purchased this nic

Cheers

Attachments

Reactions: xShARkx

Marek77au

Jul 1, 2022
Brisbane
Hey Guys,

Just want to say thanks to all those that have contributed to this thread

I hit the purchase button back on the 3rd of Aug for one of Topton’s N6005 i225 6 LANs which thankfully hadn’t shipped. Topton said “not shipping until the end of Aug” which allowed me enough time to stubble across this thread and started reading with an oh crap… Thankfully, I was able to cancel the Topton order and purchased one from CWWK’s V4 N6005 i226 instead. CW sent the next day after purchase and it was delivered last Thursday... Very fast delivery only 11 days to AU..

I pulled the unit apart and can confirm no gap between the CPU and Case so I left it as is for now. The only mod I made was adding a Noctua 40mm fan inside the case. I loaded up Windows 11 straight away just to check things out like the CPU etc.. I can confirm it looks to be a retail N6005. Windows didn’t install the i266 drivers I had to manually install them from Intel but other than that Windows 11 installed fine, only one other exclamation mark remained but didn’t bother trying to resolve. Next I loaded up OPNsense and its been running stable ever since which is why I purchased this nic

Cheers
What was the one device that didnt install? Can you please provide hardware ID?

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
But there is quite a bit of people in this thread that are running i225 and have them stable for months already....
So I should throw my N6005 with I225 B3 in the trash?

I need 2 units in total but got the first N6005 unit a month ago after many months wait time because there was no N6005 CPUs in Shanghai ... Then now also this drama with ES and people literally complaining about these units from A to Z and then now even more additional drama with i226 and still see posts the new v4 units overheat even with fans in bottom... Honestly never experienced this much circus and drama about a single piece of hardware in 25 years of working with computers...
I'm not sure what your devices have to do with unreliable stock availability?

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
Hey guys,

Just want to check with anybody that did the BIOS update to a v.3 or v.4
I currently have an N6005 with i225 v3, did a bios upgrade to the latest version and I can't get the HDMI working anymore.

Anybody else with the same issue? Thanks.

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Hey guys,

Just want to check with anybody that did the BIOS update to a v.3 or v.4
I currently have an N6005 with i225 v3, did a bios upgrade to the latest version and I can't get the HDMI working anymore.

Anybody else with the same issue? Thanks.
I got a v4, did the latest bios update and hdmi works fine.