Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Running it as a VM has barely any overhead. If you intend to use more hardware capabilities it does depend on PCIe passthrough.

Reactions: Stovar

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
That's rather... bonkers. 4 port Nic and 6 sata. I get that sinology's do the same thing for the most part, but that would be an interesting white box build
It really is bonkers. The board has 2xM.2(1x), 4x226 (1x) and JMB585(2x). I guess making max use of the x8 PCIe that is available.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
By the way, CWWK released a 6-sata and 4-i226 MiniITX board with N5105 or N6005 CPU:

It seems it is for a low power consumption NAS, or firewall in a 1-U server case.
This is great. The JMicron SATA controller probably should have a small heat sink applied to it though as they can get somewhat toasty under load if naked. This board would be a great match for a Jonsbo N1 chassis, though I don’t love the shoebox form factor of that particular chassis.

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
Also its not a problem from these boxes themselves, but from the n5105 cpu... Even ppl using intel nucs with the n5105 were having issues with promox but it seems that its all fixed with the latest linux edge kernel.
I've logged this with the Unraid team. Once they release the next RC I will upgrade and see if my VM settles.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Technically you could make this pretty wild: 6 SATA 20TB HDDs, 2 NVMe cache SSDs, USB-based boot drive, bond the 4x2.5G for 1x10G of total bandwidth spread over multiple clients. At that point the CPU would definitely be the bottleneck.

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
OPNsense 22.7: works out of the box and stable, I did import the config from my Topton/Kingnovy N6005 with Changwang v2 board
Are all the features of the i226 NIC's working with OPNsense 22.7? Is there anything missing or not working?

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Really appreciate your report. Would it be too much to ask how PFsense runs with (or maybe not) the i226? Since PFsense is the only thing I will run on it, I would be very grateful if you would have time to test that before I plunge for another unit. Thank you so much in advance
This will answer your question about the i226 and pfsense:

In other words, it works with pfsense plus 22.05 and it should work with the snaps.

Sep 10, 2019
This will answer your question about the i226 and pfsense:

In other words, it works with pfsense plus 22.05 and it should work with the snaps.
Really appreciate You finding this! So, not ideal. Situation... Back to wait yet again again..... (same as for Truenas which had showstopping bugs for last 3 updates...) not ready to go to Opensense yet, so..... What is the best N6005 unit with I225 to buy then? (since all the new units have i226 units ) or am I stuck with N5105 if I need I225 and cutouts in bottom for fan?

olavrb

Jul 1, 2022
New BIOS available for V3/V4 where "power consumption wall" has been removed.

Code:
Date: 2022-8-31

- The power consumption wall limit is lifted, and the power consumption of running points is fully turned on. Users need to enhance heat dissipation by themselves.

Video: Changwang N5105/6005 problem summary and chicken blood BIOS release
https://www.douyin.com/video/7137682485806107934

Video: Changwang BIOS update tutorial
https://www.douyin.com/video/7137194186603908359

Marek77au

Jul 1, 2022
Brisbane
Small update on v4 testing:

Windows 11: need to install network driver, chipset driver and serial driver and all yellow exclamation marks are gone in device manager. It is not super fast and feels slower than my desktop with 12th gen i7 (as expected), but it runs Win 11 quite fine.
Windows 10: not yet tested
OPNsense 22.7: works out of the box and stable, I did import the config from my Topton/Kingnovy N6005 with Changwang v2 board
Hi Mike, id love to see if you have any issues with win10

Do you still have your N6005? Just wondering if you tested that with win10?
I had some issue with trying to find a driver for one device, just wondering if you had the same issue.

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
New BIOS available for V3/V4 where "power consumption wall" has been removed.

Code:
Date: 2022-8-31

- The power consumption wall limit is lifted, and the power consumption of running points is fully turned on. Users need to enhance heat dissipation by themselves.

Video: Changwang N5105/6005 problem summary and chicken blood BIOS release
https://www.douyin.com/video/7137682485806107934

Video: Changwang BIOS update tutorial
https://www.douyin.com/video/7137194186603908359
Interesting... I'll update when I get home.

abufrejoval

Sep 1, 2022

I also picked up a G.Skill DDR4-3200 2x8GB kit with default JEDEC timings (CL22). I wanted to see if the RAM would run at DDR4-3200, but Jasper Lake is stuck at DDR4-2933 max.
I have a Jasper Lake NUC11ATKPE with the N6005 from Intel. Every NUC generation, Core or Atom based, seems to have a new top RAM speed of its own, but I really dislike buying truly matching DIMMs, because you never know where else one might need some vitamine R. But unfortunately there is a trend to program only very few timings into SPDs these days, probably just to have you not recycle them.

So when I transplanted 2x 32GB DDR4-3200 SO-DIMMs temporarily from a Tiger Lake i7-1165G7 NUC into that Jasper Lake, I wasn't really expecting success, because previous Atoms only ever managed to work with 32GB total. And I expected it to run at some fail-back basic JEDEC speed. But just when I was about to turn it off again, it came alive. Not only did it work with 64GB of RAM, it even enabled 2933 timings on the 3200 SO-DIMMs!

I'm a little too lazy rip the two boxes apart again to double check that 'native' DDR4-2933 timings aren't actually present, but it seemed to use the DDR3-3200 general 22-22-22 timings just with the lower base clock.

However, even if Jasper Lake actually does support dual channel RAM, that only takes it from 12GB/s to 24GB/s bandwidth, while the very same RAM in the Tiger Lake delivers more like 40GB/s. And when I compared that with the 2x8GB DDR4-2400 its running with currently, that's very only a drop to 22GB/s in Geekbench4's multi-core bandwidth test, while the compute score impact is only a drop from 9584 to 9388 on multi, 3328 to 3326 on single threaded Geekbench4 scores: if you run a passive Atom, don't waste time or money into tailor made DIMMs!

Also while the iGPU is also noticeably slower with a single channel, the CPU typically is not. So if you have differently sized DIMMs (say 1x4GB + 1x32GB) left over, don't hesitate to use those as BIOS tend to allocate the iGPU frame buffer in the dual channelled region (I didn't actually test that with the Jasper Lake, but it's been true withe a few other systems). Of course, if you purchase new, buy in matching pairs, if only because the next system may be less forgiving!

I love running Atoms in oVirt clusters (vSphere for the parsimonious) so the fact that Atoms have supported far more RAM than Intel ever wanted to advertise, has been very welcome.

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019
What size power supply is everyone receiving? My Topton unit had some piece of garbage PS that buzzed like crazy. I replaced it with a 42W Meanwell before I sold it. The ChangWang N5105 unit I received a few days ago has this massive Dajing 60W power supply brick. I really only used it to set the machine up and its now running on the same Meanwell power supply just fine.

On a side note, I noticed that on the Changwang unit, the power connector is super finicky. I was moving the (running) unit around and it reset on me. Found out that if I push the power connector in just a little it causes a power blip. It doesnt appear to be broke or loose or anything, but I have to be careful if I have to move it around.

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Really appreciate You finding this! So, not ideal. Situation... Back to wait yet again again..... (same as for Truenas which had showstopping bugs for last 3 updates...) not ready to go to Opensense yet, so..... What is the best N6005 unit with I225 to buy then? (since all the new units have i226 units ) or am I stuck with N5105 if I need I225 and cutouts in bottom for fan?
Its just like others have said, better support for new hardware = OPNsense and as you can see by the reports of two other users, it is working 100%.

Now besides that, is there a major issue to use the pfsense snaps(once they restart) or pfsense plus 22.05 until pfsense CE 2.7 stable gets released?

Last edited:

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Really appreciate your report. Would it be too much to ask how PFsense runs with (or maybe not) the i226? Since PFsense is the only thing I will run on it, I would be very grateful if you would have time to test that before I plunge for another unit. Thank you so much in advance
PFsense CE 2.6: no valid interfaces found, shutting down. As mentioned by @xShARkx already... The 2.5G Realtek USB-C Dongle was also not recognized. Did not test any further (because I'm using OPNsense). Is there a newer version available (dev, beta or something)?
If you want me to test something specific, I'll gladly do it but I need probably a small hint how to do it or where to get a newer version.

Hi Mike, id love to see if you have any issues with win10

Do you still have your N6005? Just wondering if you tested that with win10?
I had some issue with trying to find a driver for one device, just wondering if you had the same issue.
V4 is running fine with Win 10, had to install NIC, Chipset, (Intel) Serial and ME driver. Then running a Windows Update and all yellow exclamation marks were gone.
I still have the KingNovy N6006 with Changwang V2 Board, running as my main Router with OPNsense. What driver are you missing?
I did a quick W10 test when I got it, had to install NIC, Chipset, Intel Serial, ME and a driver called GNA-Driver (GNA-Win10_Win11-3.0.0.1400.zip --> got it from Gigabyte or something, was searching quite long). If you need the file let me know, it's only 53 kilo.

What size power supply is everyone receiving? My Topton unit had some piece of garbage PS that buzzed like crazy. I replaced it with a 42W Meanwell before I sold it. The ChangWang N5105 unit I received a few days ago has this massive Dajing 60W power supply brick. I really only used it to set the machine up and its now running on the same Meanwell power supply just fine.

On a side note, I noticed that on the Changwang unit, the power connector is super finicky. I was moving the (running) unit around and it reset on me. Found out that if I push the power connector in just a little it causes a power blip. It doesnt appear to be broke or loose or anything, but I have to be careful if I have to move it around.
Topton original PSU was the same Brand as the Changwang (DAJING), could not test it because of adapter (non EU connector). It was a wall wart with 36W. did replace it with a XP Power 50W, ordered at al local supplier. The Changwang has the same as yours, 60W brick. C13 Connector sitting rock solid, also the connector at the device itself

So far I'm very happy with the V4, going to update the BIOS, let's hope for the best :)
Had a pretty bad day at work, it's nice to get home and tinker a bit with my new toy.

Reactions: gregg098

Marek77au

Jul 1, 2022
Brisbane
V4 is running fine with Win 10, had to install NIC, Chipset, (Intel) Serial and ME driver. Then running a Windows Update and all yellow exclamation marks were gone.
I still have the KingNovy N6006 with Changwang V2 Board, running as my main Router with OPNsense. What driver are you missing?
I did a quick W10 test when I got it, had to install NIC, Chipset, Intel Serial, ME and a driver called GNA-Driver (GNA-Win10_Win11-3.0.0.1400.zip --> got it from Gigabyte or something, was searching quite long). If you need the file let me know, it's only 53 kilo.
I made a post about my driver issue earlier in this thread

2022-08-19 16_33_09-Window.png

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
I made a post about my driver issue earlier in this thread
Just tested it, I don't have this device in my device manager (at least not with an exclamation mark), the Intel(R) GNA Scoring Accelerator module has a different device ID.
Probably something with your Sierra Wireless, so I can't help you there, just have RAM and SSD in mine... Do you have a link to the Sierra Wireless card on Aliexpress? If it's cheap enough I'm happy to get one.

Sep 10, 2019
Its just like others have said, better support for new hardware = OPNsense and as you can see by the reports of two other users, it is working 100%.

Now besides that, is there a major issue to use the pfsense snaps(once they restart) or pfsense plus 22.05 until pfsense CE 2.7 stable gets released?
According the link to the Pfsense forums it does not just work with plus 22.05 as you need all kind of weird gymnastics to upgrade it from CE (yeah their upgrade path is ridiculous) with USB NICs etc.