Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
You said that you've send a message to ChangWang about this issue, did they reply back yet? What was their answer?
As you know it was on a Sunday and they said they would contact "After sales technology" and that " Yes, I can send it to you by email. We will pay attention to this problem about what you just said about English and will correct it in the future. "
At this point, there has not been an email from them.

olavrb

Jul 1, 2022
Did a quick transaction on the ChangWang website for people who are considering a BIOS upgrade.

Changwang N5105 V3 V4 version BIOS update program, please confirm the version before flashing before flashing.

2022/8/9 Repair
- Fixed some memory incompatibility issues.
- Optimize boot speed.
- Added Wake on LAN option, location Chipset->PCH-IO Configuration->Wake on LAN

2022/6/7 Repair
- Fixed some M.2 NVMe hard drives being recognized under the adapter board.
- Optimize CPU voltage, temperature control, power consumption, etc.
- Added BIOS buzzer switch option.
- Fix BIOS autoboot.

From what I have read online, it seems that the M.2 NVMe compatibility update from 2022/6/7 has not fixed the dual Samsung drive issue. Also there are reports that the new BIOS results in slightly higher power consumption (which might be able to be addressed by adjusting power levels for various C-states).
Has anyone successfully backed up the original BIOS (and the process) or know where it can be downloaded (just incase)?
There's a BIOS version from 27th of April available here:

Last edited:
Reactions: cat2devnull

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Small update on v4 testing:

Thank you for taking time to test it! Looking forward to your report
Xubuntu 22.04: works out of the box
Windows 11: need to install network driver, chipset driver and serial driver and all yellow exclamation marks are gone in device manager. It is not super fast and feels slower than my desktop with 12th gen i7 (as expected), but it runs Win 11 quite fine.
Windows 10: not yet tested
OPNsense 22.7: works out of the box and stable, I did import the config from my Topton/Kingnovy N6005 with Changwang v2 board

HWProbe works fine, with the Changwang v2 I got an upload error (BSD and Linux)

Included fan (80x80x10) is a bit noisy but does the job.
Buzzer is way louder than any other device I have owned so far. In fact, it is too loud.
The unit does not like it too much if you disable Intel ME, there are 2x three short beeps at POST if disabled.

If yours is straight from the factory, can you check your BIOS revision & date, please? I didn't write down mine but think I was already on JK4L-V104 9th /08/2022 before flashing.
BIOS Date out of the box is 07/30/2022, 11:54:03,
JK4LV103
What does your device show?

RAM (Kingston) and SSD Kingston (cheapish NV1) work fine.

So far I'm pretty satisfied with the device, better than the KingNovy/Topton with Changwang v2 Board.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: abq and xShARkx

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022

Windows 11: need to install network driver, chipset driver and serial driver and all yellow exclamation marks are gone in device manager. It is not super fast and feels slower than my desktop with 12th gen i7 (as expected), but it runs Win 11 quite fine.
OPNsense: works out of the box and stable, I did import the config from my Topton/Kingnovy N6005 with Changwang v2 board

Buzzer is way louder than any other device I have owned so far. In fact, it is too loud.
The unit does not like it too much if you disable Intel ME, there are 2x three short beeps at POST if disabled.

JK4LV103

So far I'm pretty satisfied with the device, better than the KingNovy/Topton with Changwang v2 Board.
Did it come with those dust filters as well? Besides the 80x10mm fan?

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Did it come with those dust filters as well? Besides the 80x10mm fan?
Yes, these were included. I'm not shure if the fan is delivered in any case, because I asked them if it is possible to send it in a certain way, they could not do it because reasons. They said they will include two fans, the one you see on the photos and a USB fan. But the USB fan was too big and the parcel got returned.

Reactions: xShARkx

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
So, it seems that its the best to buy strait from ChangWang and forget topton and the rest!

Seems like a much better experience(better chassis, better quality since there is no gap between the cpu die and the copper block, faster shipping and etc) and more complete(M.2 adapter included, dust filters, fans and etc)

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar
Sep 10, 2019

OPNsense: works out of the box and stable, I did import the config from my Topton/Kingnovy N6005 with Changwang v2 board

JK4LV103

Really appreciate your report. Would it be too much to ask how PFsense runs with (or maybe not) the i226? Since PFsense is the only thing I will run on it, I would be very grateful if you would have time to test that before I plunge for another unit. Thank you so much in advance

Last edited:

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Really appreciate your report. Would I be too much to ask how PFsense runs with (or maybe not) the i226? Since PFsense is the only thing I will run on it I would be very grateful if you could gets that before I plunge for another unit. Thank you so much in advance.
Yep, can test the CE edition for you. I don't know if I find time tomorrow evening, but on thursday I should be able to test.

Last edited:

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
By the way, CWWK released a 6-sata and 4-i226 MiniITX board with N5105 or N6005 CPU:

It seems it is for a low power consumption NAS, or firewall in a 1-U server case.
That's rather... bonkers. 4 port Nic and 6 sata. I get that sinology's do the same thing for the most part, but that would be an interesting white box build

Sep 10, 2019
Yep, can test the CE edition for you. I don't know if I find time tomorrow evening, but on thursday I should be able to test.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate that you spend some of your precious time on that. Please let me know if you encounter any stability or other issues with the i226 on Pfsense

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019
Really appreciate your report. Would it be too much to ask how PFsense runs with (or maybe not) the i226? Since PFsense is the only thing I will run on it, I would be very grateful if you would have time to test that before I plunge for another unit. Thank you so much in advance
I know you want pfSense, but I just installed OPNsense bare metal and it works just fine. I ran into some unrelated issues from a config import, but I think I worked through it. Negotiates at 2.5 Gb with my Xfinity cable modem. I get ~940 Mbps down / ~41 Mbps up on speedtest (I dont have anything to test at >1Gb). Even with Zenarmor running, I still get >900 Mbps on average after a bunch of speedtests.

The one oddity I noticed is that when looking at Interface Statistics, I get Errors Out on VLANs only. Not IN and not on the main interface for that port. I found a bunch of forum and other posts. Seems to be some kind of quirk with *BSD, but it does not affect anything. Its not a cable issue and I have no reason to believe its a hardware thing based on these posts. After running speedtests where I'm pushing the ports a little harder, the errors creep up, but again, not problems with anything using the bandwidth. This all happened before I enabled Zenarmor and other IDS/IPS so its not that either.

Installed with 8 GB (2x4GB) Corsair RAM and a 256GB Sabrent Rocket nVME drive I had.

I'd like to go the Proxmox route since it made things so much easier in some ways, but I had such a bad experience with the Topton boxes that Ill avoid virtualization for a few kernel updates at least.

Reactions: Lance Longreen

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
I know you want pfSense, but I just installed OPNsense bare metal and it works just fine. I ran into some unrelated issues from a config import, but I think I worked through it. Negotiates at 2.5 Gb with my Xfinity cable modem. I get ~940 Mbps down / ~41 Mbps up on speedtest (I dont have anything to test at >1Gb). Even with Zenarmor running, I still get >900 Mbps on average after a bunch of speedtests.

The one oddity I noticed is that when looking at Interface Statistics, I get Errors Out on VLANs only. Not IN and not on the main interface for that port. I found a bunch of forum and other posts. Seems to be some kind of quirk with *BSD, but it does not affect anything. Its not a cable issue and I have no reason to believe its a hardware thing based on these posts. After running speedtests where I'm pushing the ports a little harder, the errors creep up, but again, not problems with anything using the bandwidth. This all happened before I enabled Zenarmor and other IDS/IPS so its not that either.

Installed with 8 GB (2x4GB) Corsair RAM and a 256GB Sabrent Rocket nVME drive I had.

I'd like to go the Proxmox route since it made things so much easier in some ways, but I had such a bad experience with the Topton boxes that Ill avoid virtualization for a few kernel updates at least.
The last reports when using promox with edge kernel 5.19.4 or above:

Are pretty promising and it so far it seems that the problem was solved?

Also its not a problem from these boxes themselves, but from the n5105 cpu... Even ppl using intel nucs with the n5105 were having issues with promox but it seems that its all fixed with the latest linux edge kernel.

You can follow up the reports here:

3 last or so pages.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
You said that you've send a message to ChangWang about the double samsung nvme ssd issue, did they reply back yet? What was their answer?
They have got back to me today and sent me a copy of the video of the BIOS update method using Ventoy, which was explained earlier in our forums.

I have also linked an online copy below for others.

I'm really impressed with CWWK, they have been very helpful in both pre & post-sales support, I would definitely buy from them again.

Last edited:

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
They have got back to me today and sent me a copy of the video of the BIOS update method using Ventoy, which was explained earlier in our forums.

I have also linked an online copy below for others.

Nice, now i hope they fix the issue when using double samsung nvme ssd's.

Reactions: dazagrt

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Nice, now i hope they fix the issue when using double samsung nvme ssd's.
Even bringing somebody on to staff that was bilingual would be a help ;)

I have reposed the question to them about using two Samsung MVMe SSD together which causes one of them not to show up even after BIOS version 104 has been applied.

Last edited:

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019
The last reports when using promox with edge kernel 5.19.4 or above:

Are pretty promising and it so far it seems that the problem was solved?

Also its not a problem from these boxes themselves, but from the n5105 cpu... Even ppl using intel nucs with the n5105 were having issues with promox but it seems that its all fixed with the latest linux edge kernel.

You can follow up the reports here:

3 last or so pages.
I have been following that thread. I'm going to wait until its available in the normal channels and matures a bit.

Has anyone here used OPNsense under Proxmox? Curious if you can get full gigabit with Zenarmor running. Works bare metal, but guessing this machine wont handle it as a VM. I've seen a few semi related posts and threads, but not a definite answer.