Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Vollans

Aug 10, 2022
It definitely lines up with the Intel SLNMH chips on mine for both placement and spacing, which are the I225 controllers. *shrug*

Reactions: dazagrt

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
same here, that is why i asked.

My issue is that i filed off a bit to much of one peg :oops: and that alu block is now bending slightly the MB when is fully tight down.

I think i might pull it off all together or file it down couple of mm....

core temps are better then before when the gap was there .... is around 37-39C with CPU package 46-48C when idle, but what i noticed is how fast the core temp drops after a prime95 sesion
The big issue remains the thermal inertia of the case when the heat builds up ....it takes a while to cool down and the package temp to also drop

But in regular use, i mean browsing and stuff, no stres test max i saw is 55C for cores and 58C for cpu package so is decent

Reactions: Vollans

Vollans

Aug 10, 2022
That’s the one I’ve got with the Bluewhatever board inside. It’s also available as a Topton one as well.

oOflyeyesOo

Aug 17, 2022
I got my 6005/i226-v box in. Installed prox mox without issues. I will repaste this weekend and do some tests and finish installing everything. Anything that you guys want me to test?

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I got my 6005/i226-v box in. Installed prox mox without issues. I will repaste this weekend and do some tests and finish installing everything. Anything that you guys want me to test?
Did you do anything special or was it a regular install? I have mine waiting to do the same when I get home.

oOflyeyesOo

Aug 17, 2022
Did you do anything special or was it a regular install? I have mine waiting to do the same when I get home.
Just tossed in a 512gb nvm and 8gb of ram. Instantly popped up usb and install went through! Just haven't had time to finish.

agent_kenshin

Aug 25, 2022
6 Port I225V 5105
I just joined up to report on my 6x port I225V N5105 Topton barebone that I bought last month for $220 + $19USD off promo which covered my state's sales tax, no import taxes. They Also had a 6x i225V J1425 variant for around $199USD. It took 2 weeks for it to arrive in the upper midwest US. I purchased 3x Realtek RTL8125B 2.5GB nics for around $18 off the egg (US seller) along with some Dual Ranked 2x16GB DDR4-3200 G.Skill Ripjaws (SK-Hynix modules according to CPU-z) for $90. The drives I through in that I had laying around; 1x NVME 256GB Inland Premium Phison E12 based and 1x SATA 256GB inland professional TLC (DRAMless) I have been testing this box for the last 2 weeks.

For testing, I first installed a Arch based Linux distro with kernel 5.18 which picked up the everything including the i225V's just fine. Operated just fine as a standard box. I encountered very high idle temps at around 45C on average. Found that C-states were disabled by default and by enabling them, idle temps went down to 36C on average. After that ran Memtest86+ for over 12 hours without any issues.

For the stress testing, I installed Windows 10 IoT/2021 (same as LTSC/2021) which did not pick up the i225's along with a lot of things but my offline copy of Snappy Driver Tool Origin took care of that. I ran Linpack testing over half my memory which passed 10 loops just fine which took over 8 hours to complete. The next Linpack tested at 95% memory which I stopped after 10 hours with no problems (takes a long time to complete with this CPU and high amount of RAM); My final stress test was done with using Heaven benchmark looped for over 8 hours mostly for the iGPU again, no problems.

Testing the the i225V's along with the RTL8125B's with iperf3 which I tested with W10, Linux, and W7 as clients and servers and all ports averaged between 2.38 - 2.42 Gbit/s using a CAT5e/6 crossover cable going between clients. However, W7 workstation did not like the RTL8125B's; very inconsistent results, my 10 minute test would complete at a consistent 2.38 Gbit/s then if I ran the test again, it would bounce all over the place getting down to as low as 500Mbit/s which I narrowed down to just bad drivers which I ran out of time to troubleshoot. I was able to get my workstation to top out at 2.42Gbit/s using jumbo frames.

Temps - as others have noted very high idle temps. Enabling C-states only, brought the temps down to around 36C at idle for me. During my Linpack Tests, my unit topped out at 87C with a room temp of 25C for over 5 hours with 102C spikes which the sensor was very jumpy; no throttling or nothing. After I resisted using my 8" fan that blows across my desk from 25ft away, dropped the temps by 10C. At normal room temp of 21C, they unit topped out at around 77C during 10 hours of stress testing. This is without changing the paste and I think I am going to leave it as is for now. NVME temps on the Phison E12 drive only topped out at 62C during benching/high utilization and cooled back down to 30C quickly.

Proxmox - First time using a bare metal hypervisor (something not virtualbox/vmware) however been learning QEMU/KVM over the last few months. I am happy to report that I have been testing this for the last 7 days with 4-5 VM's ranging from W7/10 to Linux guests with no issues with freezing with guests. Unit stays at around 8% CPU usage on average and is staying pretty cool... somewhere around the low to mid 40's C. I am getting a "hardware error message - check events error log every now and again and not sure what this is. I plan to use this mostly as a router/switch and firewall as well as a couple of other things.

Other notes - The Phison E12 NVME drive is only running at 1x 3.0 PCIe. Not sure if this is because of the drive which takes the full 4x 3.0 lanes in my workstation or because, of the extra 2 nics. I understand these units only take 2 lanes. Tried playing with some settings in the BIOS but ended up not posting so had to take the battery out for a bit to get it back up. Also during my windows testing, the memory would mostly stick around at 2133 with it clocking up sometimes at 2933 monitored via HWmonitor. I forced it at 2933 in the bios and it does not seem to do anything.

Here's a screen cap of inconsistent RTL8125B on my W7 workstation.

realtek 2.5g w7 drivers.jpg

With Jumbo frame enabled
realtek 2.5g w7 no pwr mgt..jpg

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
1661500876114.png

gonna answer myself, yes removing the alu block helps, during stress testing max temp with turbo seems to be around 72°c, but i noticed that the standoffs keep the mainboard make good contact with the copper block also, at least half a mm.. i have to find a way to sand them down evenly to let the die touch the block/case like it should.

Reactions: Ipse and Vollans

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
View attachment 24161

gonna answer myself, yes removing the alu block helps, during stress testing max temp with turbo seems to be around 72°c, but i noticed that the standoffs keep the mainboard make good contact with the copper block also, at least half a mm.. i have to find a way to sand them down evenly to let the die touch the block/case like it should.
So you removed the alu block and stress test the nics and all was good?

I think that blick is the main issue for the gap...so it needs to be made thinner so the cooper actually touches the die....

Use a block of wood wrapper in sand paper....file off in small steps and check often how the mb sits on the peg.

I got a.small bend in the mb but is fine...is small enough that front/rear masks perfectly fits...

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar
Sep 10, 2019
Can you please test pure pfsense to see if the i226 are recognized and if they run stable under load?

dums

Aug 14, 2022
Perhaps venting on more than one side and the HDD not resting on the top, give the bottom plate some slots and raise it off the resting surface with some silicone or rubber feet too for both air and vibration?
I'm not entirely happy with current box (still learning 3D design/printing), but rubber feet are definitely planned for final version.

waka324

Aug 24, 2022
Adding My report here as well...

I bought my N5105 i225 unit (mw-jsl2.5g-4l) off of Topton's Alibaba page.

I'm fairly happy with it overall...

I adjusted the power levels and enabled C-states in the BIOS to better control power, as well as fiddling with Intel's Speed Shift settings to push it to 100% efficiency mode.

I was finding however, that no matter what I did, Speed Shift wasn't adjusting the Frequency either under load to go up (if set to 100%) or down under idle. I ended up flashing the bios found here:

I DID attempt to make a backup first, though I'm uncertain as to the validity of it.

Seems to work now. I've been able to set it up with opnsense baremetal running idle @ 47C

Here's a dump of my "tunables"

Code:
dev.hwpstate_intel.0.epp    Intel Speed Shift Efficiency    runtime    100     
dev.hwpstate_intel.1.epp    Intel Speedshift Efficiency    runtime    100     
dev.hwpstate_intel.2.epp    Intel Speedshift Efficiency    runtime    100     
dev.hwpstate_intel.3.epp    Intel Speedshift Efficiency    runtime    100     
dev.igc.0.fc    Flow Control on Interface    runtime    0     
dev.igc.1.fc    Flow Control on Interface    runtime    0     
dev.igc.2.fc    Flow Control on Interface    runtime    0     
dev.igc.3.fc    Flow Control on Interface    runtime    0     
hint.hwpstate_intel.0.disabled    disable speed shift    unsupported    0     
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest    C-States    runtime    C1
machdep.hwpstate_pkg_ctrl    Intel Pstate    boot-time    0

Reactions: Stovar and Go0oSeR

eggz

Jul 18, 2022
I bought this version in June:
165.76US $ 42% OFF|2022 New 11th Gen Celeron N5105 4*intel I225 Nics Nvme 2*ddr4 2.5g Pfsense Router Fanless Mini Pc Opnsense Firewall Vpn Server - Barebone & Mini Pc - AliExpress

N5105, running pfsense 2.6 for a dual WAN set up, with 250GB Crucial P2 NVMe (with be quiet! MC1 Pro heatsink) and 8GB Crucial 2666MHz CL19 SODIMM. I also did the re-application of thermal paste on the CPU and alu/copper block.

My ambient temps are pretty high, around 31C (within a closet). Initially even on low CPU utilization (below 10%), temps were pretty high at 70+C, NVMe temps were in the high 60s to 70s. Finally relented and used an extension/splitter cable to bring the fan header out of the case and just attach a spare 120mm case fan I had lying around, letting it sit on top of the case. Now, even at load, all cores at 100% (using /dev/null &), temps are stable at mid 50s and NVMe temps never exceed 58C. Idling temps are high 30s to low 40s. According to the BIOS, the fan spins around 1200rpm and quite silent.

Attachments

Last edited:

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Is anyone running both the dual NVMe(s) and a 2.5" SATA drive?

I'm using this V4 191.45US $ 5% OFF|Upgrade The N5105 Softroute Mini-host /openwrt/pve/esxi Fansless Energy Saving Pc - Barebone & Mini Pc - AliExpress
One of my NVMEs comes from the 'mini PCIe to NVMe' daughter board and when you put that in, it seems to become NVMe_P0 and I expected the other one to become NVMe_P1, but NVMe_P1 isn't showing up and I'm wondering if it's because I'm using the SATA 2.5".

Any thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different subject ...
I knew the spinning rust 2.5" wouldn't really fit in the case natively because it's a 5TB one and they are the thicker 15mm drive models, so I tried a motherboard standoff to see if they were the correct thread and they were. The rest is history!

You can get a little carried away with making gaps for the airflow as the standoffs of course stack!

LoL

Last edited:

Kaccatu

Jul 17, 2022
I do admit that my first attempt at 3D is not going to win any design awards, but messy? In my book it can't be messy if it's square (see attached photos) :) And it's certainly cleaner than separate NAS box with separate ethernet and power cables (besides NAS with 2.5Gig interfaces aren't going to be cheap).
Now I have single 14 TB HDD in external enclosure attached to my home router via eSATA interface. It's mostly used for backups + media streaming and is not heavily used. Router is configured to spin-down HDD if it idles for longer that 5 min. External enclosure has no active cooling, but never runs really hot (hdd is rated to work up to 60C, and I think it never reaches that). So my plan is to provide decent passive venting and avoid using fan.
I don't think building 14 TB nvme storage would be economically feasible (I'm not even sure that nvme storage of that capacity is for sale). So I'm stuck with HDDs.
This leaves me with 2 problems:
1. I'm not sure if mini PC can provide enough power to feed 14 TB 7200 rpm disk. I've verified that internal power connector provides both 5V and 12V. Also I've ordered 60W MeanWell power supply. If internal power connector would prove to insufficient to run HDD, I plan to use 12V->5V step down converter and feed HDD directly from DC power input.
2. Event enterprise grade HDDs eventually fail, so I would like to have at least RAID1. Since mini pc has only one SATA connector I've ordered M.2 -> SATA converter. If converter proves to be functional, I'll have an option to build RAID1 or even RAID5.
I agree with what you are doing there to deal with large storage requirement but I hope I won't need to do this. I have other PCs running in my home network so hopefully i'll be able to leverage the network storage shares and some softwares to sync/backup stuff.
Its a nice 3D printed box for the 3.5" drive and I like the sandwich sort of setup (except the gap between the 2 boxes). You have a clear plan with a few strategies in placed so it should work out for you. I've got 2 external 3.5" HD enclosures with eSATA connection as well but i've built a new PC so I don't really use these anymore. My external drives are much smaller in size than 14TB and I used them just for backups of important files.
All the best with it :)

Reactions: dums and dazagrt

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
One of my NVMEs comes from the 'mini PCIe to NVMe' daughter board and when you put that in, it seems to become NVMe_P0 and I expected the other one to become NVMe_P1, but NVMe_P1 isn't showing up and I'm wondering if it's because I'm using the SATA 2.5".
Easy way to test would be to disconnect the SATA drive and see if NVMe_P1 shows back up in the BIOS. I expect that it won't make any difference. These boards are just very finicky about what NVMe drives will work together (discussed in many of my earlier posts).
I have had success with;
[N:0:4:1] Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus /dev/nvme0n1 1.00TB
[N:1:1:1] Seagate FireCuda 510 SSD /dev/nvme1n1 1.00TB

I can see you are trying with a Samsung 970 Evo and a 970 Pro so you are probably hitting the same issue as me.
I remember seeing a post for a new BIOS with "improved NVMe support" but I haven't tried it.

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Is anyone running both the dual NVMe(s) and a 2.5" SATA drive?

I'm using this V4 191.45US $ 5% OFF|Upgrade The N5105 Softroute Mini-host /openwrt/pve/esxi Fansless Energy Saving Pc - Barebone & Mini Pc - AliExpress

Any thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different subject ...
I knew the spinning rust 2.5" wouldn't really fit in the case natively because it's a 5TB one and they are the thicker 15mm drive models, so I tried a motherboard standoff to see if they were the correct thread and they were. The rest is history!

You can get a little carried away with making gaps for the airflow as the standoffs of course stack!

LoL
Just like @cat2devnull said, ppl who are trying tu use Dual Samsung NVME SSD's are having issues of having both SSD's being recognized by the system.

Maybe check if the bios update solves it?

Otherwise i would report this issue to changwang, since you bought strait from them! Which might get this problem solved?

Last edited: