Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
Take care, had the same solution for a dispute (J4125), never got the shipping costs back (shipping to china was US $ 50). Sent messages to the store, they ghosted me. Contacted Aliexpress (3x in total), they said money will be refunded, never got anything back. I gave up...
I will not send it back before I have the money :). I will graciously accept a partial refund next time they come back to me. BTW: This is all through a paypal claim process.

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
changwang information on V4 with i226 (and new bios)

畅网发布V4版N5105/N6005四网迷你主板 全球首发I226-V 2.5G网卡 (in chinese)

Motherboard "changelog":

The original Intel i225-V B3 is upgraded to the i226-V version just released by Intel. The i226 network card is regarded as the first launch on domestic commercial motherboards. Compared with the i225 The version consumes less power and has more stable performance.

New bios changelog:
1. The new version of the BIOS is compatible and re-optimized for memory, and supports a single DDR4 3200MHz 32GB memory at a maximum, and a maximum support of 64G.
2. Optimize the boot speed.
3. Added Wake on LAN option, located at Chipset->PCH-IO Configuration->Wake on LAN.
I believe that later I will update my BIOS (I have V3 from Topton)
Has anyone done the update released yesterday?

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Just to be clear this time. Is this the best Supplier of the V4 motherboards with the i226?

Thanks.
That store belongs to the manufacturer of the board itself, in other words, ChangWang. Its not a middle man like topton is.

So in theory, its suppose to be the "best" supplier?

Reactions: dazagrt

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
That store belongs to the manufacturer of the board itself, in other words, ChangWang. Its not a middle man like topton is.

Thanks Sharky, and done!
It should be here by the end of the month - cross fingers.

Reactions: xShARkx

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Well, it's off to a good start, I messaged them after the order to confirm the colour and the network version (i226-v) and got messages back within hours confirming everything. :)

burtal

Jul 7, 2022

but the mobo/chasis is the same .... cooling and everything else .... so ...topton or CW or Kingor wharever ...
i guessthey will do the same f...ery when it comes to returns..
so leave all hope and go for what is the cheapest :)

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
Hey guys, how are you?
Has anyone used 19v sources in V3?
What is the connector used on these PC's? P4 or P8?

Reactions: dums

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
but the mobo/chasis is the same .... cooling and everything else ....
Uhm, i am bit confused with the above tbh :p

Cause we have known for a long time that the boards were actually manufacturer by ChangWang, Blutech and etc. And that topton, kingnovy and most of the other stores in aliexpress selling these, appear to be only a middle man and nothing more. So of course its going to have the same board! Now regarding them having same chassis, cooling solution and etc, I've also guessed long time ago that topton, king novy and etc, were not the ones making those as well.

so ...topton or CW or Kingor wharever ...
i guessthey will do the same f...ery when it comes to returns..
so leave all hope and go for what is the cheapest :)
I mean unless you can predict the future, we honestly can't tell since we don't have any feedback yet from anyone who bought their x86 from them directly :p...

Of course who ever buys from them, should maybe expect the worst? I hope that they prove "us" wrong, but i am not confident tbh!

Last edited:

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
Has anyone measured the actual power draw (@12V) from one of those (or any other version /w N5105)?
Some people in this thread already talked about powering those appliances via PoE splitters, but it seems no one reported back if it actually works.
I have been playing with this but slow shipping, my day job and a family holiday have got in the way.
I have 3 different 12V/2A units I plan on testing with;
- PS5712TG from SDaPo Communication
- LS-POE-1220MK from Shenzhen Eborm Technology
- Anvision AV-PS12-G

I will be back in Aus in the first week of Sep so I will post as soon as I have had a chance.
I did get the Anvision before I left and just in anyone can't wait till Sep, I will let you know right now, the Anvision is a hard NO.
It really struggled to keep synced at 1Gb, often dropping the link to 100Mb and the N5105 would turn on and then shutdown after 1 sec.

Reactions: PANiCnz and dazagrt

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
@oneplane Check this new board out from Jetway IPC. It can be ordered already.

Jetway IPC MI05-0XK
Elkhart Lake J6412 fanless Thin-ITX
6 x i225
1 x SODIMM
1 x M.2 M key 2242 x2
1 x M.2 E key 2230
1 x M.2 B key 3042 (cellular card)
1 x SATA

As shown by small aluminum heatsink, with good thermal design it shouldn’t be too hard to cool 10W. Looking at the heatsink mounting holes on the backside of the board though, it appears the heatsink is using a non-standard mounting pattern. This is to be expected with embedded motherboards, but a bit of a shame if a HSF needed to be used. Most Thin-ITX chassis do not account for fan mounts at all.

Reactions: oneplane

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
@oneplane Check this new board out from Jetway IPC. It can be ordered already.

Jetway IPC MI05-0XK
Elkhart Lake J6412 fanless Thin-ITX
6 x i225
1 x SODIMM
1 x M.2 M key 2242 x2
1 x M.2 E key 2230
1 x M.2 B key 3042 (cellular card)
1 x SATA

As shown by small aluminum heatsink, with good thermal design it shouldn’t be too hard to cool 10W. Looking at the heatsink mounting holes on the backside of the board though, it appears the heatsink is using a non-standard mounting pattern. This is to be expected with embedded motherboards, but a bit of a shame if a HSF needed to be used. Most Thin-ITX chassis do not account for fan mounts at all.
that price is not extremely bad but adding ram storage case and psu it's not going to be cheap at all.. and neither that compact.. i cant find a case for it tho.

for that price i would rather wait for a solution like protectli based on coreboot.

Vollans

Aug 10, 2022
Mine was delivered this week. The out of the box BIOS settings were nuts, and the temperatures skyrocketed to 100C in no time at all, and the case was amazingly hot.

I’ve got the BIOS settings settings sorted now, so it’s only using the 10W not the 28W it was trying to use, and temps down to high 40s and mid-50s. It’s also scaling the processor speeds properly in pfSense that it wasn’t doing at first.

I’ve now also fitted one of the little 5v Noctua 40mm fans, and took the board off to see how the heat sink on this one works and re-paste - two separate heat sinks, one copper for the processor with better placed screw holes not near the actual processor, and a separate thin aluminium (probably, judging by the weight) heat sink with a thermal pad on it for the INTEL NICs with goop underneath. The goop was very very liquid, and very thickly applied. The thermal pad was crumbly.

Board, case and heat sinks cleaned up, and K5 Pro put in its place. Powered up now and see how it goes!

F6E45D55-092A-46F3-823A-139E5D9382EE.jpeg8B7004AC-4F9D-4785-AC5F-C829937BD54B.jpeg0FDD3868-7575-47C0-83A3-2CE4C9328A23.jpeg

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
that price is not extremely bad but adding ram storage case and psu it's not going to be cheap at all.. and neither that compact.. i cant find a case for it tho.

for that price i would rather wait for a solution like protectli based on coreboot.
MITX PC usually charges a lot of money for basically being a drop ship service, at least for most of their motherboard offerings. I expect the eventual barebones kit from Jetway (custom chassis with I/O outs for the additional headers) to cost about $350. Jetway is a solid Taiwan based tier-2 ODM. Their stuff would be way better than any small Chinese ODM.

PowerOn

Aug 13, 2022
Hi folks, anybody knows if the N5105 has any option to change speed / fix the speed of the PWM CHA_FAN header from the BIOS? I can't find any info on internet

PS: Just want to set it like 50% and that's all. I've plugged a fan into the header, but it's running 100% all the time....and it's too noisy...

Last edited:

cioby23

Aug 11, 2022
Hello,
I bought recently this miniPC from Aliexpress Topton, 168.62US $ 41% OFF|Solid-built Fanless Mini Pc 2.5g Soft Router I7 1165g7 I5 1135g7 Celeron N5105 4 Intel I225 2500m Lan Dp Hd-mi Pfsense Firewall - Barebone & Mini Pc - AliExpress with an Intel Pentium Gold 7505 CPU.

I'm trying to identify the board type but I could not find any relevant information printed on PCB.

Also after half an hour or more uptime it tends to get very hot on idle (over 70 degrees Celsius). Reading this thread I assume the first step is to change the thermal paste and maybe doing some BIOS power optimizations.

Underneath also has 4 wholes so i think I can attach a 40 mm fan to cool it ever more. On the board I do not have a dedicated FAN connector so I plan to use the 4 PIN 12v SATA connector to power on the fan. Any recommendation for a good fan ?

I plan to use this as a firewall using OPNsense/pfSense. I see most of the people are discussing about models with Intel Celeron N5105 or Intel N6005 CPU so I wonder if the Intel Pentium Gold 7505 CPU is a good choice for this miniPC. Any advice ?

Thank you.

Attachments

Vollans

Aug 10, 2022
Also after half an hour or more uptime it tends to get very hot on idle (over 70 degrees Celsius). Reading this thread I assume the first step is to change the thermal paste and maybe doing some BIOS power optimizations.

Underneath also has 4 wholes so i think I can attach a 40 mm fan to cool it ever more. On the board I do not have a dedicated FAN connector so I plan to use the 4 PIN 12v SATA connector to power on the fan. Any recommendation for a good fan ?
Noctua make awesome quiet fans that shift serious amounts of air. Yeah, they’re a bit more expensive than the normal electronics store ones, but worth it. You can get both 5v and 12v versions, and if you’re using the SATA connection you have both options. I went for the 5V version, as much as anything because that’s what my local store had in stock. Go for the 10mm thick one, not 20mm, otherwise you’ll struggle to make it fit along with the cable.

BIOS optimisations are essential - if you change the PL1 and PL2 settings you’re the vast majority of the way there.

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
do we have some key values to put in the bios to optimize everything? except the turbo off i mean

Vollans

Aug 10, 2022
The key ones seem to be from mine:

Enable PL1 and set at 10000
Enable PL2 and set at 12000
Enable C-states
Enable acoustic noise reduction
Set PECI to off
Enable turbo (it’s fine once you’ve got proper settings)
Enable Speedstep
Set ACPI as auto

Then if you’re using pfSense, and I assume OPNSense, that use FreeBSD you will need a few tunables and a loader.conf.local file

Tunables:

Code:
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest=C3
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest=C3
dev.cpu.1.cx_lowest=C3
dev.cpu.2.cx_lowest=C3
dev.cpu.3.cx_lowest=C3
System, Advanced, Misc

Turn on PowerD, and set to Adaptive to start off for all states.

Create/edit a /boot/loader.conf.local file

Add the following

Code:
machdep.hwpstate_pkg_ctrl=0
Reboot, then go to the console again and type in

Code:
sysctl dev.cpu.0
You should see output like

Code:
dev.cpu.0.cx_method: C1/mwait/hwc C2/mwait/hwc C3/mwait/hwc
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage_counters: 14779023 15122084 1
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 49.42% 50.57% 0.00% last 254us
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest: C3
dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1/1 C2/2/253 C3/3/1048
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2001/10000 2000/10000 1900/9392 1800/8795 1700/8211 1600/7639 1500/7078 1400/6530 1300/5992 1200/5466 1100/4951 1000/4447 900/3955 800/3473
dev.cpu.0.freq: 800
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 39.0C
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.throttle_log: 0
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.tjmax: 105.0C
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.resolution: 1
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.delta: 66
dev.cpu.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0 _CID=none
dev.cpu.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PR00
dev.cpu.0.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.0.%desc: ACPI CPU
You can see with that and the repasting etc, it’s happily sitting at 39C.