Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
My impression is that the cooling portion can be solved relatively easily. Should it have been properly adressed from the manufacturer? Absolutely! But this thread shows a lot of different ways to get the temperature to an acceptable level.

What is weird to me is that no one here seems to have issues with running things bare metal. Only virtualizations with promos are giving issues apparently, which somehow seems rather related to proxmox and software support than the hardware itself.

Reactions: xShARkx

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
My case is the square one that allows being placed on the side. It gives more access to air than placing it down. But it is not necessary, to be honest.
What I was trying to say is that the 120mm is too "big" to be used in the bottom of my case. There are no side vents for the air to leave, and it seems to get trapped inside. The slim case might be different.
But overall, the Noctua 40x10 is capable of keeping my device cool; I don't want to sound that the 120mm is needed, but it is a quiet option.
And again, a home fan is a great way to test if cooling from above works on your case.

The Slim case, has vents on the sides:

Cause of these sides vents, in my mind the slim case works better when using fans. Cause you can either put a 40m fan on the bottom cover and the air wont get trapped inside while cooling the whole board or a 120mm bellow the case itself, which will have the same effect(cool the whole board with the hot air exhausting by the side vents) as the 40mm one but probably even better?

Since the slim case is 34 bucks cheaper than the fat one, to me its seems like a better choice to go for it instead of the fat one if fans are going to be used. Cause that price difference will pay for a good quality fan like the noctua 40mm or 120mm one and it will also pay for most of the cost of buying a good power supply.

On the fat case, i dont think those cooling Y fins on the sides are doing any kinda of work tbh. So to me its better to have vents there to exhaust the hot air from the inside.

Last edited:

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
Since the slim case is 34 bucks cheaper than the fat one, to me its seems like a better choice to go for it instead of the fat one if fans are going to be used. Cause that price difference will pay for a good quality fan like the noctua 40mm or 120mm one and it will also pay for most of the cost of buying a good power supply.
Do you already have a specific power supply in mind you would buy? So far I have not had any PSU issues. Most criticism seems to focus on energy efficiency

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Do you already have a specific power supply in mind you would buy? So far I have not had any PSU issues. Most criticism seems to focus on energy efficiency
Uhm, i have no clue yet tbh!

I still need to search and see what is in my reach since i live in Brazil so things here are different, in other words, i might not be able to get the same brands as other ppl from this thread.

But there are several examples here in this thread of good power supplies to buy for these systems.

Anyway i still did not buy one of these x86 systems cause at the end of last year i got a NanoPi R4S and for my 500/250 Mb connection its more than enough:

But there are some FTTH ISP's now offering 1Gb connection for 22 bucks a month here where i live, but they don't provide a public ipv4 address to residencial connection since they use CGNAT! But my current FTTH ISP gives me dynamic public ipv4, so i might buy it to make LB or LA or FO.

Last edited:

Amazing2

Jul 12, 2022
Ok, I don't want to jinx myself but so far the v3 version is pretty solid.

- I installed a heatsink on a 500GB Sammy 970 evo plus,
- I installed a Noctua NF-A4x10,
- running 2x4GB crucial 2400 ram I had left over

Changed the PL2 to 20000
C-state was enabled by default so left it as is

Ran the box on windows for 48 hours:
- 24 hours of memtest86+
- 24 hours of Prime95

It's been rock solid and max temp was 61deg C.

Now going to install pfsense bare metal.

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Ok, I don't want to jinx myself but so far the v3 version is pretty solid.

- I installed a heatsink on a 500GB Sammy 970 evo plus,
- I installed a Noctua NF-A4x10,
- running 2x4GB crucial 2400 ram I had left over

Changed the PL2 to 20000
C-state was enabled by default so left it as is

Ran the box on windows for 48 hours:
- 24 hours of memtest86+
- 24 hours of Prime95

It's been rock solid and max temp was 61deg C.

Now going to install pfsense bare metal.
You got the fat case\chassis or the slim one?

Amazing2

Jul 12, 2022
If you're running a flavor of Linux on it, can you post the output of:
Code:
dmidecode -t baseboard|egrep "Manufacturer|Product"

Code:
Manufacturer: SmbiosType2_BoardManufacturer
Product Name: SmbiosType2_BoardProductName
Same in HWinfo.

So, cheap Chinese Manufacturer who doesn't even take the type to tag the boards in firmware. Loll

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Code:
Manufacturer: SmbiosType2_BoardManufacturer
Product Name: SmbiosType2_BoardProductName
Same in HWinfo.

So, cheap Chinese Manufacturer who doesn't even take the type to tag the boards in firmware. Loll
On their updated bios they did change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amazing2

ch0wner

Jul 25, 2022
I'm just a click before making my purchase, can anyone who already purchased provide a link to the v3 fat chasis? This is the one i'mlooking at but it only has like 22 orders atm which is less than i expected

Also, I want to place a 40mm fan on the pc so it won't overheat (at least it seems from what people have been reporting that it' a must), but I was also thinking to mount the product with a vesa mount:

These two "upgrades" seem to mount on the same location on the chassis, therefore are they mutually exclusive?

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
I'm just a click before making my purchase, can anyone who already purchased provide a link to the v3 fat chasis? This is the one i'mlooking at but it only has like 22 orders atm which is less than i expected

Also, I want to place a 40mm fan on the pc so it won't overheat (at least it seems from what people have been reporting that it' a must), but I was also thinking to mount the product with a vesa mount:

These two "upgrades" seem to mount on the same location on the chassis, therefore are they mutually exclusive?
Slim:

Fat:

As for the number of orders, that's normal since there are several stores selling the same thing using multiple pages.

ch0wner

Jul 25, 2022
Some people had reported they had issues with Samsung storage being recognized? Were these eventually resolved or are there any weird incompatibilities beware from?

Amazing2

Jul 12, 2022

This is the VESA mount I got:

Cheapest I could find (incl shipping) to Canada.
Same as the other ones and came with the right hardware.

Reactions: ch0wner

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Uhm, i have no clue yet tbh!

I still need to search and see what is in my reach since i live in Brazil so things here are different, in other words, i might not be able to get the same brands as other ppl from this thread.

But there are several examples here in this thread of good power supplies to buy for these systems.

Anyway i still did not buy one of these x86 systems cause at the end of last year i got a NanoPi R4S and for my 500/250 Mb connection its more than enough:

But there are some FTTH ISP's now offering 1Gb connection for 22 bucks a month here where i live, but they don't provide a public ipv4 address to residencial connection since they use CGNAT! But my current FTTH ISP gives me dynamic public ipv4, so i might buy it to make LB or LA or FO.
R4S is probably using Realtek NIC chips. Personally, I will prefer Intel NIC chips on *BSD based firewalls.

Reactions: Raistant

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
ChangWang has entered the chat... (N5105 v3)
It seems that they also want to join the party and not leave everything to Topton/KingNovy/Electric Robot...
Shipping seems to be fair, price is a little bit on the more expensive side but still within range. Description is with the usual errors (spelling and content).

Did anybody try HWprobe on BSD or Linux? I just get "ERROR: failed to upload probe" on OPNsense 22.7 and Xubuntu 22.04. I have a V1 with 4 USB Ports (CW-N6000, revision 3.0, N6005). Thanks for trying.