Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dums

Aug 14, 2022
* The biggest I problem I noticed was in windows. When I try to install the intel graphics drivers, Windows boots into a black screen. I can reboot in safe mode and get video, but the the video driver reinstalls again and I'm stuck with black screen. This is using the newest driver from Intel's site. Anyone else had this problem? I don't plan on running Windows for real, so it's not a showstopper it's just annoying.
* the system buzzer is surprisingly loud!
I didn't try to install Windows, but with out-of-the-box BIOS I had issues with graphics on Ubuntu. Ubuntu would boot only in safe mode. However after updating BIOS graphics was fine. New BIOS also has option to disable buzzer on boot.

bajo

Nov 2, 2022
I'm thinking about ordering the Amd version 4 port, barebone with 5825u. I saw recommendations for cwwk and topton(official vs computer shop) shops on AliExpress in this thread. So not sure if there is any good reason to go with one or the other when ordering to the EU (Austria)?
Prices are pretty much the same after discounts.

Reactions: Tyrant82

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
I'm thinking about ordering the Amd version 4 port, barebone with 5825u. I saw recommendations for cwwk and topton(official vs computer shop) shops on AliExpress in this thread. So not sure if there is any good reason to go with one or the other when ordering to the EU (Austria)?
Prices are pretty much the same after discounts.
I just broke down and ordered the 5800U unit from KingvoyPC - you can try the code "11S31" which knocks a bit more off . . . Interested to see how long it really takes (to Germany)! Instead of DHL (~Dec. 4th) I chose "Sellers shipping method" which supposedly is faster even though the estimated date is longer (Jan 16th). :oops: There's also a serious lockdown just about to happen in parts of China due to CoVID :oops: This may have an impact :((cancelled flights, etc.) - YMMV

I explicitly chose the 5800U - because in all honestly, I could NOT for the life of me find a huge difference between the 5825U and the 5800U !! They are so darn close spec wise - although the 5800U can handle a bit more heat (105c vs 95c) - Time will tell . . . Stay tuned to this channel!

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Is the 5825u a better CPU than the 1165g7 if the goal is to run esxi/proxmox with pfsense with site to site vpn and pihole?

They don't make any of these things with SFP ports for 10 gig do they?
UPDATE! Found a VERY interesting device with multiple configs including 10Gbe SFP ports! Kinda expensive - but things just keep getting more interesting in this space! There's even some reviews in Chinese with translatable subtitles!

1668082020563.png

1668082077409.png

Last edited:
Reactions: dazagrt and DomFel

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
UPDATE! Found a VERY interesting device with multiple configs including 10Gbe SFP ports! Kinda expensive - but things just keep getting more interesting in this space! There's even some reviews in Chinese with translatable subtitles!
It has been mentioned several times already in this topic;) STH has one waiting to be reviewed. Patrick said it is the next thing on the list to be reviewed.

• Wow
Reactions: dazagrt and rfox

snabela

Nov 9, 2022
Can anyone link a v5 n5105? Cant seem to find any. Its seems to be out of stock on CWWK store. At least it says unavailable.

T.Sharp

Oct 22, 2022
@sqrwv well the previous results may have been a fluke after all. Maybe I didn't wait long enough after reboot or something.

I just got a 3A genuine Delta PSU and tested the system with ASPM / C3 / epp=100, and it's much more steady now.

1 second burst test :
1668105949389.png
10s test :
1668106013911.png
current settings :
1668106063532.png

Surprisingly the genuine Delta PSU is no more efficient than the fake one that came with the WooYi store PC.

Reactions: sqrwv

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
iperf3 is single thread, so it will run only in one core, maybe it is exhausting 1 core?
Also running iperf inside the router, will make additional load that otherwise only would be from router/firewall and lan.
It's a better tool to measure speed for longer time like you also did.
Also try once or twice for a few minutes, to see if you have problems, like i225 getting hot and see if speed is stable during test.
Not saying it can happen, only that we can look into that.
The retries column will tell if it had to resend, due to errors, to not having cpu, etc.
A lot of retries would indicate a problem.

Reactions: T.Sharp

denisyan

Oct 20, 2022
Hello! Finally got my J6412 from CWWK. The seller asked if I need a WiFi free of charge, of course I got it, but I don’t think I ever will use it on that box.

Got a second hand msata 850 EVO (that disks are MLC and basically last forever), found old DDR4 from old laptops, 8+4 DDR4 2400 ADATA and Samsung. System is ready. Installed OPNSense and.. fast forward of two hours learning curve to get system work :) Everything must be turned on manually, even Sonos and DLNA (still could not did that, but plex app is working fine on TV). 2.5Gbe link to TrueNAS Core with Realtek work fine!

So, about temperature, the system show 56c idle and 60c on 1nic load 60mb/s download. If a touch the box, it’s pretty damn warm. I wonder if I can put it in closed space box, where are all my cables…

I did not tune anything, did not messed with c-states or anything like that, but i think that i need to get temperatures down to 40s, any ideas?

Attachments

Reactions: Stovar and dazagrt

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
So, about temperature, the system show 56c idle and 60c on 1nic load 60mb/s download. If a touch the box, it’s pretty damn warm. I wonder if I can put it in closed space box, where are all my cables…

I did not tune anything, did not messed with c-states or anything like that, but i think that i need to get temperatures down to 40s, any ideas?
Looks like the same heatsink design as mine. Are you running OPNSense on bare metal? 56-60°C Idle I believe is a clear sign of a cpu gap, I would take everything apart and have a proper look. Remove the nic heatsink spacer, mount back the motherboard without thermal paste and shine a light down, you might find quite a gap with these temps. I would also sand the area between the cpu spacer and the heatsink, you might find it painted, which also reduces heat transfer efficiency. Mine after repaste / sanding the stands down idles at 35-39°C without a fan.

You'll want to search this thread for turnables, overall you'll need to do a few setups in the bios and set the OS to drop down to S3 acpi states.

Reactions: denisyan

Gilly_1970

Aug 18, 2022
I had the same issue with both my N6005 i226's units until I fixed the gap.. which all these units seem to have regardless if you can visually see it or not. The only way to see just how much of a gap is to remove all the thermal paste they pack in between the CPU and thermal block. And once you fix the gap and apply desent thermal paste you'll have much lower temps and a lot more stable until..

Both my units site in ambient room temp which is currently 28c and both units idle in the low 30s...
Screenshot 2022-11-11 160427.png

Last edited:
Reactions: denisyan

denisyan

Oct 20, 2022
Looks like the same heatsink design as mine. Are you running OPNSense on bare metal? 56-60°C Idle I believe is a clear sign of a cpu gap, I would take everything apart and have a proper look. Remove the nic heatsink spacer, mount back the motherboard without thermal paste and shine a light down, you might find quite a gap with these temps. I would also sand the area between the cpu spacer and the heatsink, you might find it painted, which also reduces heat transfer efficiency. Mine after repaste / sanding the stands down idles at 35-39°C without a fan.

You'll want to search this thread for turnables, overall you'll need to do a few setups in the bios and set the OS to drop down to S3 acpi states.
I had the same issue with both my N6005 i226's units until I fixed the gap.. which all these units seem to have regardless if you can visually see it or not. The only way to see just how much of a gap is to remove all the thermal paste they pack in between the CPU and thermal block. And once you fix the gap and apply desent thermal paste you'll have much lower temps and a lot more stable until..

Both my units site in ambient room temp which is currently 28c and both units ideal in the low 30s...
View attachment 25330

WOW! Definitely will do that today. I have some Noctua NT-H1 paste, is it okay with this unit?

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
I would start by tearing the device down, and checking for gaps (which given the temps are very likely). The thermal paste will be absolutely fine. Be prepared to do some work to mitigate the thermal issues. Either filing down the standoffs (use a caliber to check overall thickness) or if you have some copper shim lay that between the cpu and the heatsink.

My machine runs inside a small 9U network rack (closed), with a 120mm fan at 5V it stays idle at 25-29°C, and under full wan load (200mbit line) it doesn't reach 35°C. Power draw is usually 10-12w idle with 3 nics active.

1668168494354.png

Reactions: Stovar

miroco

Aug 22, 2022
Does anyone have experience with thermal pads? A 15W/mK thermal pad has almost twice the thermal transfers compared to Arctic Silver 5 with 8.9 W/mK for instance. Since the thermal pad "cushions" a component like the CPU, a gap shouldn't be that critical (depending how wide of cause) and the risk of breaking it being much less of a risk.

Nab Cooling

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
Does anyone have experience with thermal pads? A 15W/mK thermal pad has almost twice the thermal transfers compared to Arctic Silver 5 with 8.9 W/mK for instance. Since the thermal pad "cushions" a component like the CPU, a gap shouldn't be that critical (depending how wide of cause) and the risk of breaking it being much less of a risk.

Nab Cooling
The idea of thermalpaste is that it is 0,050 – 0,075mm thick, and just fill the microgaps in the Aluminium (237W/mK). A thermal pad is usually to bridge a larger distance. But the thickness will not help your heat dispensation.

miroco

Aug 22, 2022
If you can see sunlight through the gap, it must surely qualify. It seems like a safer method than filing down the standoffs. It's used on PC Engines APU series. Admittedly not as power hungry though.

PC Engines

ddutch206

Nov 10, 2022
Hi there! So I recently purchased a Topton J6413 i226v 6 port mini PC. The device came in yesterday, and I am still waiting on the mSATA, ram and 4010 fan to arrive.

However I am dumbfounded as to where to hook up the fan for when it arrives. Looking at the mainboard, I don't see a place for a 3 pin fan. Yet the changwang tech specs talk about it having one.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
Hi there! So I recently purchased a Topton J6413 i226v 6 port mini PC. The device came in yesterday, and I am still waiting on the mSATA, ram and 4010 fan to arrive.

However I am dumbfounded as to where to hook up the fan for when it arrives. Looking at the mainboard, I don't see a place for a 3 pin fan. Yet the changwang tech specs talk about it having one.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.
In the pdf you linked, i dont see any fan-header mentioned. I guess you should piggyback it off the 5V HDD header, like what most people in the topic did.

Thorror

Sep 16, 2022
I have a topton j6413 unit. And i have 36-38 degrees idle with proxmox and one opnsense vm running and some optimizations in BIOS and OS. But even before it was without optimization and opnsense baremetal in the low 40s. Got lucky i guess, because i don't haver the ambition to repaste it