Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Thanks for the hi-res picture of the connector side. Yeah I couldn’t find anything identifying the motherboard on this side. The identifiers may be on the CPU/PCH side, which is a bit odd. I won’t ask you to remove the motherboard though unless you want to, as that would require you to re-paste.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
sure i can post the picture .... is only 6screws to undo .....this also showcases the poor thermalpad over the nics chips ....also not a cooper plate under the thermal pad (note that the copper part is "lapped" by me it had cutting machine marks on it)

As i said before i searched google for the SN and that code and got nothing ...maybe you have better sources.

i think is a generic bios thrown in there fully unlocked and with just the basic settings to make it work .... might work the CW, as i read some guys had success with putting protecli bios on this china boxes , althoug at least the bios versions and ID matched.

My guess is no bios updates for my box ....that is fine as long as it works ..... the only things i would be intrested is how to undervolt this cpus

Attachments

Last edited:

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Thanks again for your help with the pictures! You did a great lapping job btw :D

Here’s what I was able to find.

Changwang JK 4L motherboard.

Specifications:

BIOS 6/7/2022 (latest):

Changwang barely put up the CW-N6000 motherboard docs in their support pages. The JK 4L information is still only on a “non-public” web server, but I was able to find it through Google’s crawler once I identified the motherboard model. The JK 4L is the “V3” motherboard, as referenced by Changwang as well.

Regarding BIOS updates… embedded boxes rarely get BIOS updates as usually the manufacturer gets it “mostly right” on the first try making sure the BIOS works. As an example, Jetway IPC motherboards which I used over a few generations as a router appliance only had one BIOS update, if any at all, on each of the Jetway motherboards I owned. They’re a tier-2 vendor so they are more proactive than Chinese no-tier vendors, so I wouldn’t expect any update on these Changwang or Bluetech boards. Would be useful to just keep an eye on the support site once in a while though.

Last edited:

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
thanks ... you can google better then i can :))) great find!!!!...this is useful regardless if they do an update or not, as a copy of the BIOS is always nice to have...cause ive read reports that changing some bios settings(and they are maaaaanyy) might brick it and the only way to bring it back is to flash the bios chip externally

So this is basicly a CW board that they even bother to label it. And also the bios from CW labeled is not the same with the one for this boards

Bookmarked the page for future reference, thank you

you should do a tutorial on how to search the web in china :)))

Last edited:

yxman

Aug 18, 2019
update: my boxes arrived and i got time to check them the last days:

1. the wooyi store box got a newer board revision and a proper lg power supply, but they replaced the copper heatsink between chassis and mobo with aluminum... and cheap thermal paste > instant 105°C and throttle. lapped it, repasted and set pl2 to 15w. thermal problems solved.

2. the topton unit got a jsl mobo, cheap noname power supply (us plug) and a travel adapter (eu/even cheaper)... but thermals are great

3. both boxes like dualrank memory, went up to 32gb each. Crucial 16GB 3200MHz CT16G4SFD832A and CT16G4SFRA32A (careful could be single rank) modules work.

4. both boxes got retail cpus and intel i225-v3 chips

5. 1st boot with new memory installed triggers memory training (could take up to 2-3mins till post)

you want a proper power supply (MEAN WELL GST60A12-P1J or Mean Well GSM36E12-P1J) also you need a 2.1mm to 2.5mm plug, and some bios tuning and DR memory. power consumption is great on both boxes, idle under *nix ~3.9W (see attached vid).

Attachments

Last edited:

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Thanks again for your help with the pictures! You did a great lapping job btw :D

Here’s what I was able to find.

Changwang JK 4L motherboard.

Specifications:

BIOS 6/7/2022 (latest):

Changwang barely put up the CW-N6000 motherboard docs in their support pages. The JK 4L information is still only on a “non-public” web server, but I was able to find it through Google’s crawler once I identified the motherboard model. The JK 4L is the “V3” motherboard, as referenced by Changwang as well.

Regarding BIOS updates… embedded boxes rarely get BIOS updates as usually the manufacturer gets it “mostly right” on the first try making sure the BIOS works. As an example, Jetway IPC motherboards which I used over a few generations as a router appliance only had one BIOS update, if any at all, on each of the Jetway motherboards I owned. They’re a tier-2 vendor so they are more proactive than Chinese no-tier vendors, so I wouldn’t expect any update on these Changwang or Bluetech boards. Would be useful to just keep an eye on the support site once in a while though.

soo...with my butthole tight i went ahead and did the bios update

Difference , from what i see only 2 ....option to kill the buzzer which was a pain.....and a new boot logo with the CW logo i presume instead of the default one

In bios first page nothing changed ...execpt bios date...but now the utils are stating to pic up some data like manufaturere and model

the hunt for undervolt settings continues....if this jasper supports undervolting

Thanks again for finding this...i had the initial release bios, probabily a default generic from AMI ....now is a bit custom :)))))
But really that buzzer option is gold :))

Quick update: looks like the new bios with the same settings as before runs a little slower, 100-200Mhz slower on full cpu usage than the original bios. for example prime95 puts the cpu speed at 2.26ghz while the old bios was running at 2.35ghz

Also it looks like the C-states in the updated bios are not reaching C8 ...while in the original C8 was touched. Cpu freq on balanced power from windows ....at idle never went below 1ghz ...while on the original the 0.8 -0.9 Ghz where often touched

So .... my early conclusion is the bios in which Chinese stuck their noses in are worse then the original generic bios made by Ami. except for the buzzer killer

Attachments

Last edited:

Covert_monkey

Jul 5, 2022
The issue isn't really with whether the T99W175 can be connected via an adapter or not (I'm assuming you mean mPCIe to M key here, where there don't exist any compact PCB-only adapters I'm aware of, only ribbon cable type adapters). The issue would be driver support. The widely available drivers are for Windows 10/11. It looks like Linux driver support is only rudimentary, with very slow movement on patches being pulled into mainline. I couldn't find any BSD support at all. 4G/LTE modem support is quite mature in both Linux and BSD though.
Thanks for that, but I think T99W175 is getting support in Linux

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Mine turned up today. I bought this 4 port N5105 model but it has a different motherboard to all the others.

I won't post all the same photos we have already seen, but it's a genuine Intel N5105 and Rev 3 of the Intel i225V. Mine has a different mainboard again from what we have already seen, it's made by Techvision and its model number is TVI7309X, I can find no bios files for it anywhere. I tried two 32GB so-dimms as well with it reporting 64GB of RAM in both the OS and BIOS.

I was so close to getting a laptop 2.5" 5TB drive to fit inside the case, but it just doesn't quite fit, and even a Samsung 870 Evo has a tough time fitting with the supplied cables getting in the way.

Oh, and I got the aluminium heat-spreader too, instead of the copper one much like the one yxman got with his. You will see they tried to overcompensate with extra heatsink compound.

295336-A9-9779-41-F0-A8-E6-FDC096284333.jpg 7-ADFA36-A-D4-FA-4-CD1-9807-F28-D37-F412-E9.jpg 27-B74-FBD-C4-B9-4-B74-912-D-F6-A5-F328465-C.jpg F68-A02-B5-DDBD-4-CFA-AB34-13-D72190-D89-A.jpg 51305-EB3-B957-4054-839-E-ACFD99-C5-E0-F0.jpg

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Seems like the generational and middle-man improvements are starting to flow through to us. Better overal quality but also "optimised" the copper out of the deal.

That said, if you run them as 'appliances' with low loads, they are pretty good, even with crappy over-done paste.

I am curious if they will at some point specifically mention the screw terminals for power, we sometimes have them wired in to a DC-based redundant power system (mostly in mobile setups) and having on-board terminals is much easier than sourcing the plug (or replacing it). Most 'shops' on AE seem to be sparse on that little fact, and we can't really assume what version of the board happens to be in the ordering pipeline.

Reactions: ReturnedSword

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019
I'm still waiting on my N6005 unit that "shipped" two weeks ago with 0 tracking updates, but, regardless, I purchased a Meanwell GST40A12-P1J after seeing comments here and elsewhere that the power supply shipped is garbage. I also saw once, but cant find the reference, that the power connector needs to be 2.5mm but the Meanwell unit is 2.1mm. Is this correct? So I need to buy a 2.1mm female to 2.5mm male adapter correct?

Great information in this thread by the way.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Looks like a lot of new members coming in through this thread. Welcome everyone! :D Even Topton's rep decided to get in on the fun @Mario Lu but sadly his account got banned for advertising links rather than adding to the discussion constructively lol.

Seems like the generational and middle-man improvements are starting to flow through to us. Better overal quality but also "optimised" the copper out of the deal.

That said, if you run them as 'appliances' with low loads, they are pretty good, even with crappy over-done paste.

I am curious if they will at some point specifically mention the screw terminals for power, we sometimes have them wired in to a DC-based redundant power system (mostly in mobile setups) and having on-board terminals is much easier than sourcing the plug (or replacing it). Most 'shops' on AE seem to be sparse on that little fact, and we can't really assume what version of the board happens to be in the ordering pipeline.
Mine turned up today. I bought this 4 port N5105 model but it has a different motherboard to all the others.

I won't post all the same photos we have already seen, but it's a genuine Intel N5105 and Rev 3 of the Intel i225V. Mine has a different mainboard again from what we have already seen, it's made by Techvision and its model number is TVI7309X, I can find no bios files for it anywhere. I tried two 32GB so-dimms as well with it reporting 64GB of RAM in both the OS and BIOS.

I was so close to getting a laptop 2.5" 5TB drive to fit inside the case, but it just doesn't quite fit, and even a Samsung 870 Evo has a tough time fitting with the supplied cables getting in the way.

Oh, and I got the aluminium heat-spreader too, instead of the copper one much like the one yxman got with his. You will see they tried to overcompensate with extra heatsink compound.

View attachment 23508 View attachment 23505 View attachment 23506 View attachment 23509 View attachment 23507
The Bluetech 1338NP-12/1388NP-20 are the "intermediate" aka "V2" motherboards. Apparently they are also rebranded by Techvision according to @dazagrt's report.

Bluetech 1338NP-12 4 x i225V (N5095, N5105, N6005?):

Bluetech 1388NP-20 6 x i225V (N5105):

Here's a BIOS firmware update for the 1338NP-12 on a Chinese forum (I don't speak Chinese, and haven't registered at that forum to download the firmware dump yet):

Last edited:

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
The Bluetech 1338NP-12/1388NP-20 are the "intermediate" aka "V2" motherboards. Apparently they are also rebranded by Techvision according to @dazagrt's report.

Bluetech 1338NP-12 4 x i225V (N5095, N5105, N6005?):
<Snip>
Well done & thank you, I might try that firmware if it checks out.

Last edited:

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
on bios updates ...i reverted mine to the original shipped one (initial release) .... it is better for performance/power than the new CW branded one.

so for anyone with the FMI01 N5105 JK 4L-V01 board , i suggest you keep the original bios , even tho the boot Beep kill is nice.
It reaches better C-states and slightly better CPU freq and the same or even less voltages than the CW one

During testing differnt bios settings i also put a 120mm fan to run of the USB ports and place it on top of the unit....i know it defeats the purpose of being fanless, but i had one rigged for my current ac-68u router and running from a usb 5v is dead silent anyways.

It doesnt help much if the case is already cool and cpu is idle or doing light work/regular desktop stuff (temps at idle drop 3-4C )
This helps with heat dissipating after its build up in the case and the case gets saturated....i noticed that if i run a new sessions of prime95 after 5-10 min the previous ended it will throttle do to temp,before is PL hits.
So your CPU will be able to to those spikes to max boost more often

If left without a fan the case drops drops to idle temp values after 30-45 min after a prime 95 session.... so even if you are idle the components inside still cook like in an oven.
not decided yet if i will keep it when im done with testing

Reactions: dazagrt

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
OK, I give up!
Why won't my NICs do pass-through in Proxmox? VMX is enabled in bios and the boot lines have IOMMU to load. Is there anything else that I might be missing on my N5105 system?

scrap that, what I was doing does work it just doesn't show up as the Intel 2.5Gb NIC being passed through - phew.

Last edited:

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019
Curious, has anyone attempted some benchmarks of passthrough vs just using Linux bridges for these boxes in pfSense/OPNsense on Proxmox? My setup now is bridged and I get full line speed. Wondering if there is even a difference in some of the newer devices. I have read there could be a slight hit doing it this way, but its also way more modular. I can move between Proxmox hosts in minutes and just swap a few cables and I'm done.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
in theory it should offload some of the nic tasks that it can done hardware from the cpu which have to do it software rather than hardware....cause that bridge is basicly a software switch.
Also latency might be reduced due to hardware offload stuff rather than software.

the big problem is that the Vm will be bound to that host so in case of clusters ....it will not migrate

this is theory ...in practice ...meh ...

Last edited:

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Has anyone else got VT-d as 'Unsupported' in BIOS and yet pass-through does work for the PCIe NICs?

VT-d.jpg

yxman

Aug 18, 2019
Its just a visual bug in the bios, vtd is working (also mentioned @chinese forum with the bios update for Bluetech 1338NP-12)

The latest BIOS of NN5105-4L solves the inaccurate display of VT-D, ESXI cannot be shut down, the problem! For dual HDMI motherboards, other models, do not brush!