Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Hey guys,

Just want to check with anybody that did the BIOS update to a v.3 or v.4
I currently have an N6005 with i225 v3, did a bios upgrade to the latest version and I can't get the HDMI working anymore.

Anybody else with the same issue? Thanks.
You may need to leave the device running for a while so it can complete DRAM training. Can take up to 10 min or something like it before it continues.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
Thanks. I managed to contact CWWK in chat on Aliexpress, super quick to reply but all the technicians were home due to the time difference.

Let's see what they come up with tomorrow.

By the way, for people overheating: as soon as I got the unit I applied the Arctic MX-4, it sits at 44C with 5% cpu usage.

For people using proxmox: I use edge-kernels (5.19), installed intel-microcode, and IOMMU is active with passthrough. Works beautifully with quite a few VM and LXC.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
You may need to leave the device running for a while so it can complete DRAM training. Can take up to 10 min or something like it before it continues.
Never heard about that really, didn't know DRAM affects HDMI, I'll have a look thanks. By the way the system works fine for now, except the HDMI doesn't work at all, that means if Proxmox goes haywire I'm screwed.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Never heard about that really, didn't know DRAM affects HDMI, I'll have a look thanks. By the way the system works fine for now, except the HDMI doesn't work at all, that means if Proxmox goes haywire I'm screwed.
Ah I completely missed that it still boots fine. Disregard my optimism in this case :D

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Here is the technical reason why 2 Samsung NVMe drives can not work together.

Because Intel processors with low power consumption have only five clocks, four of which are allocated to four network ports and one to nvme. However, we have two NVme, so only one can use the master control that needs a clock, and the other needs the master control without a clock. Samsung master control needs a clock, so it cannot use both of them together. nvme that needs smi master control can be used together. smi master control can run without clock, if the model is recommended, there are (Jin Shidun KC2000 KC2500)
I hope that helps.

csgrullon

Aug 4, 2022
What happened with the units that shipped with bluetech boards?

No one is shipping those anymore?

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
All right, issue with the BIOS and the HDMI has been solved.

CWWK prepared me an ad-hoc package, sent it via email, and trough WeChat they sent me video and pictures to do the update 'blind'.

All this in less than 24 hours.

Simply outstanding support from their side really, I would have never expected that. For people having doubts about post-sale support (me included) here's our answer.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
What happened with the units that shipped with bluetech boards?

No one is shipping those anymore?
Those should be the ones with a proper console port besides the 4 NIC ports. They are still available in at least 3 different case variants (the two on the left + the one on the right): 1662457172888.png
Sadly, no N5105 6-port variants seems to be available with serial console (only some core i5 systems for >400EUR)...
I have no idea why they completely dropped a proper console port on other versions/variants and instead added multiple display outputs which are IMHO completely pointless on a networking appliance. Who in their right mind would want to always drag a monitor + keyboard to the network cabinet/basement/wherever you put your networking gear in case something goes wrong?

Reactions: csgrullon

dums

Aug 14, 2022
I have no idea why they completely dropped a proper console port on other versions/variants and instead added multiple display outputs which are IMHO completely pointless on a networking appliance. Who in their right mind would want to always drag a monitor + keyboard to the network cabinet/basement/wherever you put your networking gear in case something goes wrong?
I suppose that console as a management interface is a must for old school engineers that got used to it during their professional careers. However I would guess that even PC savvy youth has no idea what serial port is and why you would need that strange USB dongle :)
My "fat" v3 has serial connector on MB, so I've ordered this:

enzotekk

Jul 1, 2022

CWWK prepared me an ad-hoc package, sent it via email, and trough WeChat they sent me video and pictures to do the update 'blind'.

Simply outstanding support from their side really, I would have never expected that. For people having doubts about post-sale support (me included) here's our answer.
I was just deciding to order from CWWQ given the great feedbaccks I saw here.
Unfortunately however CWWQ does not ship to the country where I live now (France)
So I can only order from TopTon, the latest feedback on the last v4 version sold by TopTon is not bad.
The problem is the customer care after sale ...

sko

Jun 11, 2021
I suppose that console as a management interface is a must for old school engineers that got used to it during their professional careers. However I would guess that even PC savvy youth has no idea what serial port is and why you would need that strange USB dongle :)
My "fat" v3 has serial connector on MB, so I've ordered this:
even brand-spanking-new networking gear still has a serial port because it is still THE single most practical solution. consoles are text based - so why use anything else but a serial interface that transmits just that: text. nothing is more versatile and can be easily transmitted to remote locations e.g. via SoL.
and as said: who wants to drag a monitor and keyboard to the rack? just take your laptop, plug in to the console and you can not only troubleshoot but have documentation or some search engine open or even one or more engineers from the vendor remotely assisting you.

dums

Aug 14, 2022
even brand-spanking-new networking gear still has a serial port because it is still THE single most practical solution. consoles are text based - so why use anything else but a serial interface that transmits just that: text. nothing is more versatile and can be easily transmitted to remote locations e.g. via SoL.
brand-spanking-new PROFESSIONAL networking gear has it, however to get serial interface on home routers you often need to solder TTL pins. So we can conclude that topton products doesn't qualify as professional grade :)

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
Sadly, no N5105 6-port variants seems to be available with serial console (only some core i5 systems for >400EUR)...
They have the brand new 6 port with J6413 variant with the console, which is performance-wise similar to the N5105, and the difference is about 25$ but you also get i226 ports.

Maybe they expect 6 ports to be for power users, hence higher chances of people using the console port, and 4-ports for just tech-savvy users not needing the console port. Just my 2c.

While CWWK units are solidly built and with good quality components, I definitely don't call them 'professional', say to be at the same level of Juniper or Cisco appliances.
They have rack-mount stuff on their website, maybe that stuff is probably more 'server-grade' than these desktop units.

Sep 6, 2022
this is my solution for temp. a 12x12 fan connect to internal fan connector placed on top unit.
eliminate cpu gap space and change paste =42C (10% cpu load my normal system running with proxmox) 50C 100% cpu full load stress test
add a 12x12 fan too=31C (10% cpu load) ,40C 100% cpu full load stress test
external fan give me a 10/11 grades decrease
my unit is v2 5105
i cant place internal 40x40 fan becouse i mount a sata ssd
external fan give me -10C on internal m2 disk too, from 68C to 58C
i thing it low the temp on intel eth chips too
next step is to design a 3d printed piece for to fix external fan to unit

read temp on my proxmox system: about 10% cpu load 24h/day, ambient temp is 29C

Code:
root@server:~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +39.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +30.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +30.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +30.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +30.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +119.0°C)

nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +56.9°C  (low  =  -0.1°C, high = +81.8°C)
                       (crit = +85.8°C)
test.jpg

Last edited:

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022

Hi,.

What was the problem and what unit do you have? I also lost video on HDMI after a bad bios update. I have the black PCB board CW-N6000. Can you please provide more details? Thanks!

Attachments

Catalin

Sep 3, 2022
Hey guys,

Just want to check with anybody that did the BIOS update to a v.3 or v.4
I currently have an N6005 with i225 v3, did a bios upgrade to the latest version and I can't get the HDMI working anymore.

Anybody else with the same issue? Thanks.
Yeah, I got the same problem, CWWK told me to de-solder the BIOS chip and flash it separately :)