Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LucidityCrash

Jul 18, 2022
Just joined in here so I could see the pictures in this thread. I too got an ES chip. Unfortunately I got mine at the end of May and thanks to this thread just found this out :(
Talking with Topton is a nightmare ... just got this :

"Sorry dear,you should know that the QS version of the CPU is very cost-effective and its price is also very cheap. The official version of the CPU is obviously much more expensive than the QS version, so the factory uses the QS version, and they produce this machine according to the needs of the market."

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
HKBTM (On Amazon or AliExpress) sells a 12V 2A splitter, which is at the upper limit of how much power 802.3at can provide (25.5W) to devices.
So I've done some digging...
It seem that the unit @Patrick has is the LS-POE-1220MK from Shenzhen Eborm Technology. Which has a pretty good rep for being able to drive the full 24W.

There is the PS5712TG from SDaPo Communication that has a wave in the top that seems to be resold under a bunch of different brands.
Looks like the HKBTM, Revotech and likely the Anvision are actually all the SDaPo (based on product/customer photos that show the model number).

There have been some user reviews indicating that these have issues going at Gb, above 18W and working with Ubiquiti POE switches.
I specifically want them to replace the chunky power packs for my VDSL modem (20W) and Topton server (>20W) and power them off my USW-24-POE so I can power cycle them remotely. So I might be safer going for the Eborm unit.

802.3bt can supply 50-70W, but the equipment is much more expensive and harder to find.
Ain't that the truth.

Reactions: bhigh

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Looks like changwang put the bios for the V3 in their site as well:

SSMI

Jul 15, 2022
So I joined due to this thread. I ordered this 6 port N5105 board for pfsense. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. After seeing some of the issues in this thread I wanted to see what I should double check and make sure I know how. If possible I would like to check it all from a pfsense install but could install something else first.

• Check thermal bridge between CPU and case. Make sure things are relatively smooth and redo thermal paste application.
  • Check if CPU is ES (engineering sample right?). It seems I need to install windows and use HWINFO. What value am I looking for? Is there a way to check this in pfsense?
  • Stress test the CPU to make sure it is good. Can this be done from pfsense? If I need windows to check the cpu anyway I can do it there. Prime95 is what I should use?
Is there anything else I should check?

I've built a couple computers before but this is my first foray into embedded devices and computers from china. Just want to make sure I cover my bases while I can dispute the transaction.

I am excited to start taking my network to the next level. Now I just need to figure out what to do for switches and APs. I didn't realize 2.5gb was such a pain to find but I'm not in that much of a hurry. I need to learn pfsense first anyway.

Reactions: ReturnedSword

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Changelog of the latest bios:

So as we can see here they are actually asking users that have suggestions to get in touch with them, with this can we expect a somewhat descent bios support? :D

Reactions: bhigh and Snk B

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022

bhigh

Oct 5, 2016
I've been searching for the V3 model in 6 port but I seem to be chasing my tail, are they out, or is that in the "coming soon" basket as well?
The 6 port wouldn't exactly follow the same revisions.

The model number for bot of these is "X6":

The model number for this is "X6A":

Reactions: dazagrt

bhigh

Oct 5, 2016
"Sorry dear,you should know that the QS version of the CPU is very cost-effective and its price is also very cheap. The official version of the CPU is obviously much more expensive than the QS version, so the factory uses the QS version, and they produce this machine according to the needs of the market."
File a dispute with AliExpress. The listing does not state that it's a ES/QS chip.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Just joined in here so I could see the pictures in this thread. I too got an ES chip. Unfortunately I got mine at the end of May and thanks to this thread just found this out :(

At least you got an honest answer from them. The others here who got ES chips in their box - including me - got told all kinds of BS in their responses from Topton.

Its still not right...

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
  • Check thermal bridge between CPU and case. Make sure things are relatively smooth and redo thermal paste application.
  • Check if CPU is ES (engineering sample right?). It seems I need to install windows and use HWINFO. What value am I looking for? Is there a way to check this in pfsense?
  • Stress test the CPU to make sure it is good. Can this be done from pfsense? If I need windows to check the cpu anyway I can do it there. Prime95 is what I should use?
Throw any OS you are comfortable with on the N6005 before you start your pfSense journey and check it with iperf3.

Run the iperf3 server on the N6005 end with "iperf3 -s" (no quotes) and the iperf3 client on your workstation, citing the N6005's IP address;
use "iperf3 -c 192.168.x.x" (no quotes).

You are looking for an asymmetrical performance problem, the N6005 will only do < 1Gbps in server mode but full 2.5Gbps in client mode if you have the same problem as mine. Temperature makes no difference, it'll do it from cold if you have a problem. See attached screenshot for example.

I am excited to start taking my network to the next level. Now I just need to figure out what to do for switches and APs. I didn't realize 2.5gb was such a pain to find but I'm not in that much of a hurry. I need to learn pfsense first anyway.
Everything is expensive at the moment so YMMV but the 2.5Gb segment of the network uses these switches and they have been really good;
TL-SG108-M2 V1.2
8-Port 2.5G Desktop Switch
The rest of the network is mostly 10Gb in Mikrotik, with just a few SFP28 25Gb links.

iperf3 problem results attached - Note the screenshot is from the workstation terminal, so the results are reversed. In the screenshot the N5105 in server mode is on 192.168.11.193 - Result from the N5105 server are about 450Mbps.

Aliexpress_Router.png

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
This is like pulling teeth to get my unit refunded or replaced, not a happy time ATM.
Topton is aware of this thread, which is why they tried making an account on these forums. However they tried to just advertise instead so they got banned.

Hey at least they were more honest with you. They told me that it was an honest mistake in the rush to fulfill orders, though I don't buy that. They claimed that they need the unit back to exchange with Changwang, specifically after I said I reserve the right to report this to Intel and PayPal. The more likely scenario is that they bought some ES boards from Changwang hoping to send them off to people who won't notice.

Hello, good afternoon everyone!
I read the whole thread and was worried about the reports about processors coming as ES.
Who bought the V3 with the N5105 received the processor as ES? Or are all N5105s really that official?
Yesterday, I bought this device, along with the adapter for 2 nvme's

2.5g mini roteador macio celeron n5105 quad core 2 * ddr4 nvme ssd 4 intel i225 nics tpm hdmi2.0 dp tipo c pfsense firewall roteador pc| | - AliExpress
The N5105 is much cheaper than the N6005, and should be easier to bin. I haven't seen any ES N5105 Changwang motherboards in the wild of all 3 revisions. I'd double-check upon receiving just to make sure though. The N6005 is only available for the "V1" and "V3" 4-port units, and the 6 port unit btw.

Reactions: Snk B and xShARkx

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
At least you got an honest answer from them. The others here who got ES chips in their box - including me - got told all kinds of BS in their responses from Topton.

Its still not right...
What is Topton telling you so far? At this point I've escalated it to AliExpress multiple times, and Topton seems to want to work with me, however it's frustratingly long between replies. I'm also not convinced they even really read the replies I wrote (I provided the information and queries as condensed and succinctly as possible), because often they will respond with something totally random similar to throwing a bunch of options out, none of which are satisfactory, or requires me to "wait" another few weeks or month.

Reactions: xShARkx

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
So I joined due to this thread. I ordered this 6 port N5105 board for pfsense. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. After seeing some of the issues in this thread I wanted to see what I should double check and make sure I know how. If possible I would like to check it all from a pfsense install but could install something else first.

I've built a couple computers before but this is my first foray into embedded devices and computers from china. Just want to make sure I cover my bases while I can dispute the transaction.

• I would just take the whole thing apart and replace the thermal paste altogether. You should do this after checking that the basics check out (such as "not ES CPU") so that you don't waste your thermal paste.
  • You can check this in CPU-Z, HWiNFO64, or Intel Processor Identification Utility. All these utilities are for Windows. I'm sure the microcode is always exposed, but I don't know of a way to check for ES CPUs in Linux (I tried when I ran my Linux tests).
  • In Prime95 I usually use the "Blend" stress test to hit both CPU and RAM, because I'm lazy and it's good enough. However, there are CPU or RAM specific tests as well.

Reactions: dazagrt and xShARkx

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
  • You can check this in CPU-Z, HWiNFO64, or Intel Processor Identification Utility. All these utilities are for Windows. I'm sure the microcode is always exposed, but I don't know of a way to check for ES CPUs in Linux (I tried when I ran my Linux tests).
I can see it in Linux simply with either a
$ lscpu
or
$ lscpu | grep "Authentic"

Does that work for you?

Edit: it might be best to list-cpu (lscpu) without isolating the "Authentic" term, because I think Intel uses the term "Genuine".

Last edited:

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
If no one has noticed yet, a new appliance based on the N5000 is available. A N6000 will not be an option with this. The Jasper Lake x000 series SoCs are 6W so basically they have a much lower base clock and lower boost clock. Honestly just about going to tell Topton to give me 2 x of these as the price would be comparable to the V1 N6005 I have. The unit doesn’t have a fan mount on the bottom panel though…

Reactions: jdnz

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
Changelog of the latest bios:
1) Fixed some M.2 NVME drives not being identified on adapter card.
I wonder if this will fix my issue seeing both Samsung 970 Eve Plus drives at the same time...
Now I just have to work out how to do the BIOS upgrade. My Chinese is rubbish.

Here's the label from one of mine.
Yep, as I suspected, it's actually the the PS5712TG from SDaPo Communication.