Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Batmanzi

Dec 24, 2022
Ordered a 3-pin PicoBlade cable for €8.

Weird that some folks have 4-pin yet the i226 J6413 boards use 3-pin.
After a lot of googling, I stumbled upon this post. I have the same J6413 i226-V you got, and from your post I figured out that the fan connector is actually on the other side of the board. (thanks a lot).

If you allow me (or if anyone can answers this), I have a few questions please:

- Could you share a link to the cable you bought and advise if it worked out for you? I want to get one too
- Topton site says that the box has holes for mounting a 40x40mm fan so I initially got the Noctua nf-a4x10-flx, but the cover I got is for a 80x80mm fan so I bought the Cooler Master 80x80mm slim fan which fits nicely inside, I was wondering if installing a 80x80mm fan would fry the board or cause it harm? this is what I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C31GIA

Would really appreciate any help on this you guys :*(

Attachments

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
As long as it fits and doesn’t rub on anything when it spins you won’t have any issue with the 80mm fan. Power draw difference is negligible.

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
Thanks for the link to your testing, i had missed that for some reason!

Yeah, I've been thinking of mounting a fan both inside the unit and in the door/lid to the enclosure. The enclosure is in a "technical room" where the motor for the ventilation system in the house is located, so some noise from two fans wont be an issue at all.

But as for what and where to buy, maybe the safest (in terms of receiving a unit with v5 PCB) option is to buy one where it's specifically mentioned in the ad? Or do all these devices (from the more "known" companies) cone with a v5 PCB these days?
Take a look at the post I made here about fans - 2nd post down. The motherboard has a Pico Dupont connector which is smaller than a normal fan connector you find on larger motherboards. If you're going to go with fans, Noctua is a good choice and they come with various adaptors but not a Pico. But you can get the Pico connector/cable assemblies on Amazon or AliExpress. You may also find fans already equiped with the correct connector.

BobS

Darkang

Dec 14, 2022
Small update on v4 testing:

Xubuntu 22.04: works out of the box
Windows 11: need to install network driver, chipset driver and serial driver and all yellow exclamation marks are gone in device manager. It is not super fast and feels slower than my desktop with 12th gen i7 (as expected), but it runs Win 11 quite fine.
Windows 10: not yet tested
OPNsense 22.7: works out of the box and stable, I did import the config from my Topton/Kingnovy N6005 with Changwang v2 board

HWProbe works fine, with the Changwang v2 I got an upload error (BSD and Linux)

Included fan (80x80x10) is a bit noisy but does the job.
Buzzer is way louder than any other device I have owned so far. In fact, it is too loud.
The unit does not like it too much if you disable Intel ME, there are 2x three short beeps at POST if disabled.

BIOS Date out of the box is 07/30/2022, 11:54:03,
JK4LV103
What does your device show?

RAM (Kingston) and SSD Kingston (cheapish NV1) work fine.

So far I'm pretty satisfied with the device, better than the KingNovy/Topton with Changwang v2 Board.
Hi Mike,

I bought the same from Topton, after major delay and poor customer service it arrived without a fan nor fan adaptor. Do you have an idea from where can I order the fan and the adaptor . Thank you

Merry Christmas

n00b

May 20, 2017
Users of the CWW N5105 or related N5105 based system. I was wondering if anyone was able to confirm that these system are able to support 1gig for routing using OpenSense or PfSense. I'm on FTTH fiber 1 gig symmetrical using PPPoE. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019
Users of the CWW N5105 or related N5105 based system. I was wondering if anyone was able to confirm that these system are able to support 1gig for routing using OpenSense or PfSense. I'm on FTTH fiber 1 gig symmetrical using PPPoE. Thanks
I run Proxmox on mine and get 1200 down and 40 up. I dont have symmetrical.

Reactions: Stovar and n00b

Kurátor

Dec 21, 2022
I have n5105 with OpenWrt and I give 1Gb/s even with VPN via OpenVPN. So cool.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
Yes, they absolutely can. They'll support 2.5gbit routing depending on your ruleset and what in-line filters you have (suricata, zenarmor, etc). The N5105 and N6005 are significantly more powerful than the J4125 and that does symmetrical 1gig no problem. Protectli even recently started selling a 4x2.5g model with a J3710 which is less capable than the J4125. J3710 < J4125 < N5105 < N6005.

Reactions: Stovar and n00b

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
Yes it can, it quite powerful and the load of PPPoE is quite overrated. Yes it's heavier than DHCP routing, but not extremely heavy. 1Gi easily overheren, while running proxmox and 5 other VM's.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Yes, they absolutely can. They'll support 2.5gbit routing depending on your ruleset and what in-line filters you have (suricata, zenarmor, etc).
PPPoE with *BSD (including OPNsense/pfsense) is a whole different story and has nothing to do with the nic speed. PPPoE runs single threaded under BSD. You need a high clock CPU for full speed, the number of the cores for the PPPoE speed is irrelevant.
APU2 (1GHz) is not able to route 1GBit with PPPoE with OPNsense. My N5105 (turbo disabled!) with OPNsense and a 450MBit G.fast PPPoE line runs at 35% with spikes to 45% on Core 0 during speedtest, core 1-3 are on idle, 0%.

Linux based systems (openWRT, IPfire) are running far better with PPPoE.

The 2.5GBit NIC in these J3710 boxes are not because the CPU can handle these speeds. The real reasons are chip shortage, EOS/EOL of Intel I211, heavily increased price and non availabilitiy of Intel I210. These Chinese producers put in whatever is available and cheap, so it will be the i225/i226.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
PPPoE with *BSD (including OPNsense/pfsense) is a whole different story and has nothing to do with the nic speed. PPPoE runs single threaded under BSD. You need a high clock CPU for full speed, the number of the cores for the PPPoE speed is irrelevant.
APU2 (1GHz) is not able to route 1GBit with PPPoE with OPNsense. My N5105 (turbo disabled!) with OPNsense and a 450MBit G.fast PPPoE line runs at 35% with spikes to 45% on Core 0 during speedtest, core 1-3 are on idle, 0%.

Linux based systems (openWRT, IPfire) are running far better with PPPoE.

The 2.5GBit NIC in these J3710 boxes are not because the CPU can handle these speeds. The real reasons are chip shortage, EOS/EOL of Intel I211, heavily increased price and non availabilitiy of Intel I210. These Chinese producers put in whatever is available and cheap, so it will be the i225/i226.
Thanks, I missed the PPPoE part. I misread it as straight routing. Fortunately I have never had to deal with PPPoE. That sounds pretty miserable.

Paulbhyo

Nov 21, 2022
I bought the cwwk AMD 5825U bare bones box on Thanksgiving morning. They had a good sale plus coupons. The PC shipped the day after I bought it and arrived quicker than I expected. Bought 2 x16gb Micron ram and 1TB micron NVME on Black Friday from amazon. I loaded up windows 11 and ran some prime95 for a couple days checking all the vitals.. didn't have any issue with heat or the units ability to keep cool. No errors recorded.

The fan ramps up fast under what would be light load, but it's because single cores go into turbo and heat up.. but if the unit is running all 8 cores for 15 min at 100%... The fan is barely noticeable. BIOS is the newest one out. It allows short term use at 35W tdp.. then settles in at 15W as it was seen under windows anyway.

I get some people don't want an actively cooled PC, but most of the people on here end up putting a fan on the exterior of the passive box anyway.

For less than $400 shipped, I am pretty impressed.

I replaced a Pfsense PC and 2 raspberry Pi controllers. I'm currently running Proxmox, unifi controller, home assistant, pfsense. Trying to figure out what else I can install on this unit.

istwok

Nov 30, 2022
I got a v5 box with an n5105 cpu and i226 nics from CWWK and am in the process of checking it out. The cpu stress testing went fine and I'm now trying the networking. I'll eventually run OPNsense and 1 or 2 other services under Proxmox. For now, I'm just using barebones Proxmox to bridge all ports together and I'm seeing something I can't explain. When I run iperf with the test box as the server, I get the expected 2.3+ gbps bandwidth. However, when I run the test box as the client or as a bridge between other hosts, I get bandwidth values that range from 1.70 to 2.25 gpbs. Does anyone know why that second configuration tests noticeably lower and so inconsistently?

pinter

Dec 11, 2022
Posting this in case someone finds it useful. The unit I received was clearly broken. It would boot, sometimes, run pfsense for a few hours, crash, get into a boot loop where the power light would go on and off. I could recover it by doing all sorts of things only to have it run for a few hours and crash again. I went through the dispute process only to finally conclude yesterday that I had to pay to ship it back and it had to be done before Jan 5. From Canada to China the cheapest shipping with tracking is like $100 and has no time guarantee (but at least 3 weeks). I’ve also seen coverage lately that because of Covid a lot of their post services have ground to a halt. Ali Express doesn’t help. Basically they make it pretty much impossible and not worth the time or money to ship back.

My issues seem to have all the hallmarks of a BGA solder issue. These cpus are soldered to the board and that process is far from perfect. I decided that since I have a brick anyway I would try something. I hit the cpu with a heat gun for a few mins total, across a couple sessions, heat gun at about 300C. When I plugged it in, it let some smoke out from something around the speaker circuit but booted right up like a champ. It has thus far run for the longest single stint since I received it (it never ran for more than 12hrs without at least rebooting). Not ideal but fingers crossed.

lukasig

Oct 31, 2022
I do not think is a general problem with the device. I (and at least @T.Sharp) have the exact same model as @pinter, and never had issues with it. I would go as far as to say that it is actually one of the better models, since there is no gap between the metal casing and the processor, therefore the temps are very decent. I am sorry though for the short straw @pinter seems to have drawn. Fingers crossed... maybe the weird hack is going to work for him, similar to the re-balling/re-soldering laptop GPU chips hack.

pinter

Dec 11, 2022
I do not think is a general problem with the device. I (and at least @T.Sharp) have the exact same model as @pinter, and never had issues with it. I would go as far as to say that it is actually one of the better models, since there is no gap between the metal casing and the processor, therefore the temps are very decent. I am sorry though for the short straw @pinter seems to have drawn. Fingers crossed... maybe the weird hack is going to work for him, similar to the re-balling/re-soldering laptop GPU chips hack.
Ya I don’t think it’s the actual device model in any way it’s just luck of the draw. There is always some degree of those issues in any device. Maybe mine was dropped or whatever, anything can cause it.