To Update or Not to Update MB/HBA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

exposehim

Apr 28, 2017
I might have got lucky. I just plugged all this stuff up and it worked. Someone had already flashed this LBA to IT mode...

-- STUFF I HAS
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHASSIS Supermicro 825M

Motherboard X8DTE-F with bios firmware 2.08 from Dec 2 2011 19:21:51

HBA LSI SAS9200-8e with MPT firmware 14.00.00.00-IT

LSI Corp Config Utility LSI SAS9200-8e version v7.27.00.00 from (2012.07.02)

LENOVO SA120 revision 1007 (looks like I'll need 1008 if I need LSI 93xx SAS HBA support)

-- QUESTIONS I HAS
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Having issues launching the Java from IPMI web interface. Anything cool in there? I want it?

2 What can I use for an SMTP server to get alerts from the IPMI? I think I'm gonna need an SMTP I can use for many things on other hosts. Prolly free hosts offered somewhere?

3 Should I update that 2.08 firmware on motherboard or just leave it because its working?

4 Should I update software/firmware on HBA or just leave it cause its working?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Generally speaking, if the firmware you have now is running properly and not causing you any issues, there's no need to update it. That being said, I do like to keep my equipment up to date, just from a security perspective, but having the latest firmware will also help alleviate IPMI issues if you are also using Supermicro's own toolchains. The Java version/ certificate issue is a well known one and there's plenty already been said on the matter both here and across the web, google is your friend :)