Tips on updating SuperMicro BIOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
Hey Folks

I was gifted an old SM board recently for my FreeNAS box.
This is the specific one:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O

I am pretty sure the BIOs and other pieces need to be updated.
However, I was testing out the 'sum.exe' and trying to do some stuff remote, but it says I can not do it because it is not licensed for OOB.

How do folks update their SM bios? I would prefer not to burn to a USB stick and go that route.
Any recommendations?

Thx

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If you dont want to do it via USB stick you could either buy a OOB license or try to get one for free asking SM for an evaluation license.
Never done it myself but doesn't seem to be difficult from what I hear

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I use sum.exe locally on boards without ipmi and remotely for boards with ipmi + oob licenses (~$20 per board)

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Mine are home lab, so I just use the USB most of my boards and don't feel like getting the OOB license for each of them. X10DRi board that I have did come with the licence so I can do update that one board.

I have not tried the virtual media option on the console for updating bios but have used to boot using iso of live-cd /memtest etc. I don't see why It count not be used for this purpose.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I've done Bios update On X10 boards using IPMI and virtual media. No issues there.

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
Turns out, cant use that tool on X9 boards...just asked support. Have to do it the old fashioned way and hook up a monitor keyboard....

wonder if it is even wworth flashing?