Tiny/Mini/Micro PC experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vap0rtranz

Aug 26, 2020
Hi folks, I'm running 3DMark and Userbenchmark on my Lenovo M75q-1 but coming in at the bottom of the pack.

How could I try tackling this? Modded BIOS? Overclocking?

When I compare my Ryzen5 3400G + Vega11 scores to other folks running the same CPU+iGPU, my scores are below the 10th percentile ... so the bad end of the curve. Other folks running this AMD setup are getting much better scores. Most of my poor score is from low FPS, <10fps on these benchmarks.

A user earlier this year (@robbo2k) said they got a 2358 score on Firestrike running an Ryzen 2200G on HP. I'm getting a 1438 Firestrike score on Lenovo. :(

Here's things I've already done ...

• Upgraded to 2x sticks DDR4
  • Switched to/from High Perf or AMD power profiles (made no difference)
  • Reinstalled AMD driver
  • Active cooling in BIOS

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
Hi folks, I'm running 3DMark and Userbenchmark on my Lenovo M75q-1 but coming in at the bottom of the pack.
Try to run benchmark and GPU-Z sensors at the same time. You will see the history of GPU clocks and power consumption cap reason. If it is thermals, you need a better thermal paste and reseat the cooler. If power cap is present - change the power supply to 120W.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY

When I compare my Ryzen5 3400G + Vega11 scores to other folks running the same CPU+iGPU, my scores are below the 10th percentile ... so the bad end of the curve. Other folks running this AMD setup are getting much better scores. Most of my poor score is from low FPS, <10fps on these benchmarks.

A user earlier this year (@robbo2k) said they got a 2358 score on Firestrike running an Ryzen 2200G on HP. I'm getting a 1438 Firestrike score on Lenovo. :(

• Reinstalled AMD driver
  • Active cooling in BIOS
What's the iGPU RAM reservation set to? If I remember correctly the t740 thin clients (with the Raven Ridge V1756B) can reserve up to 2GB of RAM to use as virtual VRAM, and Lenovo ThinkCentres and ThinkPads can modify their BIOS settings to set a large (4GB) reservation window as well.
That can help with latency and push the score up.

There's also RyzenADJ or similar APU tuning utilities which can help bump the performance up a tad, but in general and in terms of dealing with Ryzen APUs, the order of precedence for performance is a) make sure it's on dual channel mode (verify via cpu-z or gpu-z), b) faster RAM (DDR4-2666 to 2933 for the Zen+, preferably not DDR4-2400), make sure the thermals are good (heatsink secure, no blockage in the fan shroud/airflow channels), and see if the testing is done on OpenGL or Vulkan.

vap0rtranz

Aug 26, 2020
What's the iGPU RAM reservation set to? If I remember correctly the t740 thin clients (with the Raven Ridge V1756B) can reserve up to 2GB of RAM to use as virtual VRAM
Yup, this one is 2GB VRAM based on everything I've checked, including HWInfo64. It's not configurable in BIOS.

There's also RyzenADJ
I was going to try RyzenAdj next. I'd tried UXTU (Universal x86 Tuning Utility).

a) make sure it's on dual channel mode (verify via cpu-z or gpu-z), b) faster RAM (DDR4-2666 to 2933 for the Zen+, preferably not DDR4-2400), make sure the thermals are good (heatsink secure, no blockage in the fan shroud/airflow channels), and see if the testing is done on OpenGL or Vulkan
"Dual-Channel" is the mode that HWInfo64 says. DDR4-3200 chips. But now that I look again, HWInfo64 says the max clock speed of each chip is 1600MHz. :rolleyes: Hmm.

One thing selectable in BIOS is to enable Full Fan mode, which turns the sound from my PC into a jet engine. But the benchmark results don't budge. I've not seen the thermals get hot during benchmarks.

I'm thinking it's a locked Lenovo BIOS that is capping the iGPU or memory somehow, via a clock speed, Watts limit or something...

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
Yup, this one is 2GB VRAM based on everything I've checked, including HWInfo64. It's not configurable in BIOS.

I was going to try RyzenAdj next. I'd tried UXTU (Universal x86 Tuning Utility).

"Dual-Channel" is the mode that HWInfo64 says. DDR4-3200 chips. But now that I look again, HWInfo64 says the max clock speed of each chip is 1600MHz. :rolleyes: Hmm.

One thing selectable in BIOS is to enable Full Fan mode, which turns the sound from my PC into a jet engine. But the benchmark results don't budge. I've not seen the thermals get hot during benchmarks.

I'm thinking it's a locked Lenovo BIOS that is capping the iGPU or memory somehow, via a clock speed, Watts limit or something...
In the end, it is a reservation and not the maximum RAM that the GPU can use. So it means if you reserve 2GB, it will be there exclusively for the GPU and the system cannot use it. But since we are talking about an APU here, the memory allocation is automatic. So if needed the amount of memory allocated to the GPU will be automatically increased.

So this should not affect your benchmark scores. What could be is that Lenovo put a thermal limit in the BIOS, and this is affecting your performance. On a desktop mainboard of Asus, Gigabyte, MSI etc. normally they have no limit, or a very high one.

Reactions: vap0rtranz

rnormore

Jan 25, 2024
Hello,

I've been looking at getting another NIC in my ProDesk 600 G6 Mini off and on for a couple of months now. I took a chance on the 2.5GbE Flex Port, (SKU: 169K0AT), that is only advertised and listed by HP as compatible with the Z2 series of machines. Anyway, I installed it in my ProDesk 600 G6, and it works perfectly. I'm currently running opnsense on the ProDesk without issues. It seems like this same flex port can likely be used in the Elitedesk minis as well. There is a 2.5GbE NIC that is listed as an option for the Elitedesk.

It's an Intel i225-V Revision 2 chip. There are apparently some issues with this version, but I haven't noticed any problems yet.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else.
Hey

I have a HP ProDesk 600 G6 Mini Form Factor. I am wondering would the HP Flex IO V2 2.5GbE NIC M74416 RJ45 Ethernet Option Card L83414-002 work in this PC?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have a HP ProDesk 600 G6 Mini Form Factor. I am wondering would the HP Flex IO V2 2.5GbE NIC M74416 RJ45 Ethernet Option Card L83414-002 work in this PC?

Yes, I double check my Ebay purchase history for exact part number.
I brought 2 for the HP mini.

I checked the price that I paid $15.99 each.
Now price is double.

wociscz

Feb 25, 2024
Just "mod" post
After couple days of testing different m.2 adapters, network cards and other stuff, finished my first tiny proxmox host node.
HP Elitedesk 800 G3 (i5 7500, 16GB ram, 256GB nvme) with m.2 a/e realtek 8125 2.5gbit network card /w 3d printed bracket (replaces detachable displayport mini card).

It works flawlessly. Original gigabit nic used for kvm/vPro only.
View attachment 35423
View attachment 35424
Google photo gallery
Bracket is my work - will post it somewhere (with update of this post with a link), ping me if you need it sooner.

Aliexpress links: variant1 variant2

koaly

Dec 19, 2023
Hi guys.

I have a HP 405 G8 micro with a Ryzen 7 pro 5750ge ES and I was thinking about building a small server with ECC RAM as both the CPU and the AMD PRO 565 chipset support ECC.
It boots with 2x*8Gb Samsung ECC UDIMM and Windows runs fine, but I could not prove ECC in Memtest 86.
The settings screen comes up and shows that ECC is not supported. Starting the test resulted in a black screen and then a manual reboot.
Memtest works fine with non-ECC RAM on the machine, though.

I initially thought this was a problem with the ES CPU and tried the Ryzen 5 pro 5650ge, but it behaved in the same way.
At the same time, Memtest was able to prove that ECC works on the X570 platform with these CPUs.

It seems to me that HP has disabled ECC support in their castrated BIOS. So no other CPUs except those sold with the device are supported. I tried Ryzen pro 3200g - no POST at all.

So what is the point of having a PRO CPU and PRO chip in the Micro-PC? Have I done something wrong?

jlist

Jan 22, 2024

• Reinstalled AMD driver
  • Active cooling in BIOS
Are you using the stock 65W PSU for the M75Q-1? Your PC will constantly throttle if so. Using a monitoring tool, you can see that the Vega IGPU will frequently dip to 300mhz. If you use a 90W or 135W PSU instead, the IGPU can stay at 1300mhz.

Overclocking is not available in the BIOS, but I saw a post on another forum where a user had it enabled through BIOS modding. They didn't mention how they did it though...

Regarding RAM speed, the M75Q tops out at 2666mhz and XMP is not allowed. So the best option is to have 2666mhz RAM with a low CAS latency. However, from my testing the difference between 2666 CL20 and CL15 was only ~2% in gaming benchmarks so if the price is much higher then it's not worth it.