Tiny/Mini/Micro PC experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Also remember that that 'wifi' slot is 'only' PCIe x2, so that's a max of something like 2Gbytes/sec if it's PCIe 3.0 (which I think it is). Some NVME SSDs are faster than that.
Actually a A/E slot should only be x1 I believe, and it also carries USB 2.0 signaling, which some adapters can split off. x1 is plenty for a boot drive though, leaving the the M slots for other duties.

Honestly I’m pretty surprised no company has bothered to make a native A/E 2230 SSD yet.

yeahsure

Nov 27, 2020
Hello,

I've been looking at getting another NIC in my ProDesk 600 G6 Mini off and on for a couple of months now. I took a chance on the 2.5GbE Flex Port, (SKU: 169K0AT), that is only advertised and listed by HP as compatible with the Z2 series of machines. Anyway, I installed it in my ProDesk 600 G6, and it works perfectly. I'm currently running opnsense on the ProDesk without issues. It seems like this same flex port can likely be used in the Elitedesk minis as well. There is a 2.5GbE NIC that is listed as an option for the Elitedesk.

It's an Intel i225-V Revision 2 chip. There are apparently some issues with this version, but I haven't noticed any problems yet.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: kukat and abq

abq

May 23, 2015
Hello,

I've been looking at getting another NIC in my ProDesk 600 G6 off and on for a couple of months now. I took a chance on the 2.5GbE Flex Port, (SKU: 169K0AT), that is only advertised and listed by HP as compatible with the Z2 series of machines. Anyway, I installed it in my ProDesk 600 G6, and it works perfectly. I'm currently running opnsense on the ProDesk without issues. It seems like this same flex port can likely be used in the Elitedesk minis as well. There is a 2.5GbE NIC that is listed as an option for the Elitedesk.

It's an Intel i225-V Revision 2 chip. There are apparently some issues with this version, but I haven't noticed any problems yet.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else.

hello, do you think this might work in a hp 600 elitedesk g5 mini ?!? thx :)

yeahsure

Nov 27, 2020
hello, do you think this might work in a hp 600 elitedesk g5 mini ?!? thx :)
Yeah, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. If you have the Flex Port on your motherboard you have a chance.

They’re around $30 shipped on CDW and in stock. I received mine in 2 days.

abq

May 23, 2015
Yeah, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. If you have the Flex Port on your motherboard you have a chance.

They’re around $30 shipped on CDW and in stock. I received mine in 2 days.
Great, I'll give it a shot. Thank you:)

Reactions: Aluminat

Camprr23

Nov 20, 2019
Just ordered a HP 805 G8 with the Ryzen 5 Pro 5650G chip, the one that the 'Serve the home' guys have on backorder. Should be here tomorrow. Will transplant all the storage from the M900 over into that (2Tbyte NVME and 8tbyte SSD). Also ordered 64Gbytes of memory for it (3200Mhz). Will report back once I have some power-usage data and such. Should be a good. :) Will be adding the 2.5Gbit ethernet via a USB->Ethernet dongle, rather than the internal 2.5Gbit option (which does not seem to exist with HP yet).

Last edited:

yeahsure

Nov 27, 2020
Will be adding the 2.5Gbit ethernet via a USB->Ethernet dongle, rather than the internal 2.5Gbit option (which does not seem to exist with HP yet).
That model says it supports a flex port with a 2.5GbE NIC.

Scroll down to Flexible Port and you'll see it specified. I'm almost positive that 169K0AT will work with that system, and it's probably the exact part they use if you order an 805 G8 with a 2.5GbE NIC.

Last edited:

Camprr23

Nov 20, 2019
That model says it supports a flex port with a 2.5GbE NIC.

Scroll down to Flexible Port and you'll see it specified. I'm almost positive that 169K0AT will work with that system, and it's probably the exact part they use if you order an 805 G8 with a 2.5GbE NIC.
Yes, I know it supports it, I can read ;-). But this 805 G8 I'm buying is in stock with a company (it is a standard model), and the 805 G8 is not for sale yet with HP in my country (Netherlands). And yes, I could have it shipped from Germany (or UK) with 2.5Gbit Ethernet, the problem is that HP don't have those modules. Serve The Home's order was cancelled twice when they specified an 805 G5 with a 2.5Gbit Ethernet port. It's mentioned in one of their more recent videos.

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
Regarding the PCIe GPU list in the 1st post. I have read here and there that potentially the following could be added:

-The Dell RX640 as dell offers them on the 7080 and 7090
-Radeon Pro WX 4100 (read someone installed it on a 7080 Micro) and therefore the new and similarly sized Radeon Pro WX 6400. (less interesting are the WX 2100/3100/3200 but they could potentially fit too)
-Low profile GTX1650 also read someone fitted it in a 7090.

I am not sure that these would fit in the lenovo models though...

abq

May 23, 2015
Has anyone found a TMM computer with quad SODIMM slots (e.g. can handle 4 sticks of memory)? Space for quad is probably an issue, so may have to be a bit bigger? Cheers, ABQ :)

Aluminat

Jul 5, 2019
Has anyone found a TMM computer with quad SODIMM slots (e.g. can handle 4 sticks of memory)? Space for quad is probably an issue, so may have to be a bit bigger? Cheers, ABQ :)
Perhap this?
Still no infomation on price and launch date.

abq

May 23, 2015
Perhap this?
Still no infomation on price and launch date.
@Aluminat, thank you for the suggestion & interesting link. @rafale77 is right about being SFF size thou! Also doesn't seem to be SODIMM (laptop sized memory sticks), actually looks like full sized desktop memory slots.

I am really hoping there may be a slightly oversized TMM with 4 SODIMM Slots to get twice the memory, for repurposing into homelab for VMs. Admitted this is niche application & probably small market, so I may be out of luck too;).

Reactions: Aluminat

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
I’ve been fiddling with my P330 Tiny again. I finally figured out why the nVidia P1000 wasn’t showing up in lspci. Apparently if iGPU is set to primary in the BIOS, the P1000 is disabled. I’ve got it set to PCIe now.

Has anyone got both iGPU and PCIe GPU working at the same time in the BIOS?

Parallax

Nov 8, 2020
London, UK
Interesting... but still much too big. It's an SFF not a tiny/mini/micro. :p
The MB seems to be bigger than a normal Mini-ITX.
@abq The motherboards of the latest TMM nodes (eg the Lenovo M70/90q Gen 1 and 2) support 2x 64GB = 128GB in theory, even though Lenovo only says 2x 32GB. I've previously exceeded Lenovo's advertised RAM limits in previous gens with no issue. So 128GB might be do-able here, would that be enough?

rafale77

Sep 28, 2020
@abq The motherboards of the latest TMM nodes (eg the Lenovo M70/90q Gen 1 and 2) support 2x 64GB = 128GB in theory, even though Lenovo only says 2x 32GB. I've previously exceeded Lenovo's advertised RAM limits in previous gens with no issue. So 128GB might be do-able here, would that be enough?
In principle, the memory controller is in the CPU (It's been that way for quite some time now) so technically the amount of memory is limited by how much the CPU can support and does not depend on the motherboard... Now how much memory one stick can bear and how many sticks the motherboard support is the real limitation.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
In principle, the memory controller is in the CPU (It's been that way for quite some time now) so technically the amount of memory is limited by how much the CPU can support and does not depend on the motherboard... Now how much memory one stick can bear and how many sticks the motherboard support is the real limitation.
DDR4 (SO)DIMMs max out at 32GB.

Reactions: Vit K and Aluminat