Time to upgrade my 5 year old build? Using Xeon E5 2650L v3 (12c/24t) 1.8

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gio

Apr 8, 2017
Lurker here, about 5 years ago I jumped on the 'intel confidential' bandwagon and build a Xeon E5 2660L v3 server. This continues to be my primary homelab/all-in-one box running Promox and a few VMs but it seems like my setup may have started to show its age and I am thinking of possibly upgrading now or maybe next year.

Any thoughts?

I was considering jumping into bed with AMD Ryzen9 -they have a fewCPUs with12 cores that may be a worthy upgrade to my current setup. I don't think CPU is my current bottleneck - but certainly I/O is and my next server I would like to have M.2 SSD for VM storage / ZFS cache.

Are there any good/cheap AMD Ryzen9 motherboards that have remote management / BMC / IPMI that you would recommend? The ones I have found are for AMD EPYC processors and over $400 for a single board. That's too rich for my tastes atm.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
If you want to address a possible I/O bottleneck, dropping down to a mainstream platform with fewer PCIe lanes might not be the right path.
Besides, the few AM4 motherboards with features like IPMI aren't exactly cheap either. ASRock rack has a few of them, starting at 360€ with an X570 chipset.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Lurker here, about 5 years ago I jumped on the 'intel confidential' bandwagon and build a Xeon E5 2660L v3 server. This continues to be my primary homelab/all-in-one box running Promox and a few VMs but it seems like my setup may have started to show its age and I am thinking of possibly upgrading now or maybe next year.

Any thoughts?

I was considering jumping into bed with AMD Ryzen9 -they have a fewCPUs with12 cores that may be a worthy upgrade to my current setup. I don't think CPU is my current bottleneck - but certainly I/O is and my next server I would like to have M.2 SSD for VM storage / ZFS cache.

Are there any good/cheap AMD Ryzen9 motherboards that have remote management / BMC / IPMI that you would recommend? The ones I have found are for AMD EPYC processors and over $400 for a single board. That's too rich for my tastes atm.
Pop a couple 2690v4 cpus in there it'll be way better than the 2660Lv3s