Throw me a bone, anyone seen any deals on 3.5" 8-10TB NAS drives lately

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Seems that these have stayed pretty consistent over the past 6 months or so...kicking myself when I saw them at roughly $200 each for HGST he8 8tb models I didn't jump on them. Anything w/in that pricepoint avail now that my good folks of STH are aware of currently?

Gonna be used in FreeNAS, raidz2, looking for six 8tb drives (wish I could afford to go 10tb's) that will last me for a 5 year plan. A lil' partial to HGST he8's but I could be talked into WD RED's or Seagate Ironwolfs per the following guide.

https://www.servethehome.com/buyers...as-nas-servers/top-picks-freenas-hard-drives/

Just need something reliable and as cost efficient as I can go right now but pretty set on new disks. Don't think I wanna play 'the great 'shuck hunt' this time arnd'. Did that w/ the 2.5" 4tb seagate backup plus/expansions' and they have served me just ok albeit a failure that had me panicked but @PigLover helped me out immensely w/ that situation.

Have a $1200-1500 top end budget so says the Mrs./boss who consumes a damned good chunk of my filers w/ digital photography. GRRR

TIA, whitey

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick and T_Minus

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
While not necessarily a deal, a quick look at eBay shows that you can get a set of 6 brand new HGST He8 8TB drives within your budget.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
OK, truth be told I didnt hunt much today, felt like it was maybe the 'dummy question of the day award' post hence 'throw me a bone title' heh.

Absolutely slammed at work these last few months (the story of my life, feel like I've said that before), hence why some of you may have noticed my turn-down in content/activity here. Anyways yeah we RIF'ed some folks and guess what that means for me...yep taking on two additional projects (Palo Alto Layer 7 virt firewalls for our cloud initiative and RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines for cloud/DRaaS initiative) on top of my Enterprise Linux support, Virtualization/Cloud work, and HPC workload. 'Do more with less mantra' FML

The Mrs./boss is now balking at my top-end $1500 pricepoint so I may have to try to contain the damage to $1200. Another FML :-D

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You are correct. Prices on these drives in "normal" channels hasn't moved much in quite a while. There have been deals on 8TB Reds cracked from USB enclosures - great deals, in fact - but if you are buying for your business this probably isn't a good option for you.

Reactions: whitey

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
My backplane supports either (SATA/SAS), I know all abt the raging/near religious debates, I'm fine w/ sata as I don't wanna eat the $50-100 per device it seems if memory serves me correct sas interface cost. My HGST six disk 1.5tb pool (sata based) has served me faithfully for some 7-8 yrs so it's time. This is gonna spiral and I didn't want that but 5400/7200 as well as 512e/4kn debate ensues :-D

I'm willing to listen if anyone thinks I should consider either of those two values above w/ deeper thought. Just being forthcoming this is a repo mainly for my cheap/deep activities...But it's GOTTA be reliable! If I went to 10tb models I'd probably highly consider raidz3. Stuff like my wife's ever-consuming digital photography dataset (replicated nightly to other FreeNAS server/pool), maybe move my plex library over there (few tb's worth), and some backup via ZFS send/recv duties. None of my high end stuff like VM's/DB's/etc. which always run on a AFA pool.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
You are correct. Prices on these drives in "normal" channels hasn't moved much in quite a while. There have been deals on 8TB Reds cracked from USB enclosures - great deals, in fact - but if you are buying for your business this probably isn't a good option for you.
Yeah thanks for input and again for 'past rescue mission'. I just didn't wanna crack cases, roll the dice on models you actually get as that seems to have changed over time in that thread, and I need a warranty so I am SCREWED...AKA 'open up your wallet you silly ass!' :-D

Looks like I am in the $225-250 territory per disk no matter what w/ my stipulations but someone talk me back from the ledge if I am wrong or any other smokin' deals out there that may make me think twice about my requirements.

TIA as always, ya'll rock!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
What about shucking the 8tb reds from the best buy easy stores?
I was trying to stay away from the shucking game as stated in original post but if they were back at $129-139 I might have to reconsider...at $169 currently I don't know if the cost saving is worth 'potentially' voiding warranty to save $40-50 per drive.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Bought 24 huh728080aln600 drives a few weeks ago from serverpartdeals for 179 each for my backup server. Consolidating and replacing all my 4TB and 6TB drives.

Reactions: Evan and whitey

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Bought 24 huh728080aln600 drives a few weeks ago from serverpartdeals for 179 each for my backup server. Consolidating and replacing all my 4TB and 6TB drives.
That is a great deal ! They have them new right now at $229. (I had some I could sell but I Guess I have also to lower my price if they are In the market at these prices now)

I really rate the he8’s as good drives, Low power and cool running for what they are, yet to have one fail on me either. Can’t say the same about the Seagate 8tb non helium ones, they fall over all the time.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The best part that they still have warranty till 2021 and power on hours was less than a year.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Boom! Done deal, thanks all for feedback/input! $229 each plus 3 day UPS shipping, need em' this week.

hgst-HUH728080ALN600-qty6.png

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Reactions: Evan

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Question ya'll, so my drives came in, initially a bit disappointed by the manufacturing date stamps...now I am in between a rock and a hard place as I didn't realize that these would essentially have 1/2 warranty burned even though they are new drives. I could take a 6 month hit or a year maybe but this caught me off guard.

Here's the rundown:

Five of the six drives have a Oct 2015 date and one has a Mar 2016 manufacturing date stamp, would have been better to have them all aligned but I can deal w/ that right, not the end of the world.

So I get on chat w/ cust support rep Patrick over at ServerPartDeals, good guy, very forthcoming/honest. Main takeaway is that they have stock of surplus orders and that even though the he8 line seems to have been sunset/turned down that they have new drives...just dated WAY back obviously. Patrick jumped on a call w/ me almost immediately (very cool) and said he would be willing to check stock/inventory to see if they have any newer dated drives to get a bit of the warranty back but that they list them as 3 year 'limited warranty'.

Should I stop stressing and just put them in service...or wait to hear back? I REALLY wanted/need to get my ZFS pool online and transfer data off my aging pool. Patrick did say he was willing to hop on here and level set expectations and that they did not try to intentionally deceive/downplay issue, really went above and beyond to make this right and hear me out. Lil' sour/salty still abt losing 1/2 my ent class 5 yr warranty but I guess I should have been better educated abt this potential scenario or opened up my pocket book a lil' deeper (story of my life) and gone he10 line. Makes me think 'maybe I should have played the shucking WD Easystore game' at $149 a pop for WD RED's and maybe technically warranty void there as well although I have heard some of you suggest that shucking doesn't necessarily void warranty if careful. I didn't want to play that game but now I am second guessing myself.

Thought/input/quit b|tching whitey, let me hear it I can take it :-D

TIA all for valued feedback!

EDIT: Kudos/tip of the hat to Patrick over at ServerPartDeals for going above and beyond to listen and consider all options to address and remediate my concerns.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Bump, need some eyes on this, shameless plug, I am itching to put these in service but am trying to resist.